Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 02:59PM

No more Mormon Miracle pageant? Truly a mormon miracle.

https://www.sltrib.com/pb/religion/2018/10/27/mantis-mormon-miracle

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 03:06PM

RIP in Peace ~ Mormon spectacle shows ~

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 03:09PM

I'm not sure I'd believe anything from Satan's Newsroom since they haven't changed the site yet.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 03:09PM

Yet they will continue creepy temple dedication pageants. Nothing screams cult like marching youth in matching t-shirts worshiping old men sitting on thrones in their white Colonel Sanders suits.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 03:26PM

I lived in Manti for years. The Church was not a fan of the pageant and was always wanting to abandon it. The locals loved it though and the Church always caved in.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 03:31PM

No more Boy Scouts.

No more "Mormon" name identification.

No more HT/VT, and familiar class/quorum structures.

No more pageants etc.

Members will be missing a lot of the fundamental emotional and cultural attachments that they grew up with. Attachment and identification are far more important to people than the church may realize.

The "Mormon" fabric seems to be wearing thin.

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 03:31PM

That will cut the economy of Manti in about half, no?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 04:16PM

Being an old fart, I remember when a live actor stood on top of the Manti Temple playing Moroni. (Hey, I seriously wanted to do that). A couple of years later, the scene was changed so an actor stood on top of a set that looked like the top of a temple. The set was on the top of the hill many yards away from the temple.

Why the change? Apparently, the Brethren decided that the temple was too sacred to have an actor, playing a part, using it as a stage.

Another time, at the end of the pageant, some kids started yelling, “Hey, it’s over, stop crying and go home!”

The only time I’ve been to the Cumorah Pageant, it was with never-Mo cousins. They, as did many folks, bring picnic baskets with snacks, including wine and cheese. Given that this was mostly a missionary activity, no longer ne said anything. Now, the not-so-sure Hill Cumorah may need to be cleansed of of impure activities.

And, apparently at both locations, pagaent-goers are great targets for we anti-Mormons to harass.

Of course, the real reason might just be the name—MORMON Miracle Pageant. The pageant-goer’s Boner.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 04:26PM

...white glue, glitter and crepe were discontinued as Ward/Stake supplies. Now, members were asked to provide the necessary crafting items to complete the staging.
Some members had an issue with that, and complained to SL, saying that if they couldn't produce Church pageants and theatricals they would stop paying tithing. SL said FU.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 05:17PM

Some day 40 years from now some people will long for the good old days when there were pageants and home teachers and Boy Scouts and a whole three hours of spiritual feasting each Sunday.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 07:42PM

The accountants did a cost/benefit analysis of the pageants and decided they were no longer paying off. Remember, always follow the money. Someone in another thread stated that he was going to start calling the church formerly known as mormon the corporation. That is the way I feel about it too. I have called it LDS, Inc. for years.

Yeah, I know that Manti will really feel the economic loss of this annual event, but those accountants can't be worried about what happens to a bunch of citizens in a town. They have a corporation to run. Ok, I know I am being snarky. I don't care.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 11:40PM

It's starting to look like the leadership have realized that their golden goose is terminally ill, so they're just going to kill the old bird as painlessly as possible and then go in and retrieve any remaining golden eggs they can get before the carcass starts rotting away.

They don't want to let it die on its own because they won't be in control of the timing and may not be in a position to retrieve for themselves any unlaid eggs when it happens.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: October 28, 2018 04:32PM

...are you sure they aren't already rotting? Not sure if they are .999% gold. I think the real gold ones were stolen years ago....

https://allthatsinteresting.com/thumb/800.422.https://allthatsinteresting.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/balut-less-gross.jpg

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 09:48PM

Maybe the Hell's Angels can start having their annual ride for Satan now that Manti isn't choked with pageantry.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 10:58PM

I wonder if this latest edict will affect the Polynesian Cultural Center?

Date: October 27, 2018 11:31PM

Plaid n Paisley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if this latest edict will affect the
> Polynesian Cultural Center?

Doesn't it sit on prime land that would do well with condos?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 11:47PM

"Best time you'll ever have before 'time and eternity!'"

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 28, 2018 12:48PM

Most tourists that visit the "Cultural Center" have no idea it's connected to mormonism. If they knew beforehand, they wouldn't go.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 11:59PM

Do they still do the Oakland Temple pageant?

I was in that a few times many years ago (choir member). I remember it as a fun time and a great way for kids all over the Bay Area to get together. Immense social interactions, along with the interstake dances. Another example of local control of church activities. So sad.

Date: October 28, 2018 03:15PM

Oakland has been closed for a one year renovation. We'll have to wait to see if there's a pageant to accompany its re-dedication.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: October 28, 2018 11:27AM

Move along folks. Nothing to see here.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.