Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 05, 2018 10:24PM

Business marketers know this, when a brand is not successful, re-brand it. When a brand IS successful, protect your trademarks. There are knockoffs a-plenty for iPhones, Windows OS, Levi’s, Rolexes—any successful brand. The legitimate owners of those brands go to great lengths to protect their trademarks, just ask Mickey Mouse, who’s now out to become a trademark—trademarks don’t expire.

Now, we have a cult that is experiencing declines. Its brand name—Mormon—is despised. What to do? Re-brand it! Then, include its most famous branch—-The MORMON Tabernacle Choir in an attempt to disassociate the public’s dislike for the unsessessful brand name. Sorry, Morg, your branding, and its reputation is gonna stick! The Executive’s Boner.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2018 10:30PM by BYU Boner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: October 05, 2018 10:44PM

The only people that are going to stop calling them Mormons are themselves. The rest of the world will not. Sorry...too little, too late.

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 12:40AM

I think you hit-the-nail-on-the-head. The rebranding is not for the general public, but rather to make the cult members feel like they are keeping up with the times. The TSCC has the unique position that just retention alone will increase its numbers and revenue. They need to help the young membership feel that the old farts steering the boat actually consider their views and opinions... just like the Catholics are doing. I think that the root of this might be to keep up with the Catholics.
https://youtu.be/WVWHhDeHPGs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2018 12:48AM by chipace.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 12:11AM

Yes! I was just talking about this today with my family. That its a business decision to try to rebrand themselves and from a a marketing standpoint, if they really want people to stop calling them Mormons, they have to change the name of The Book of Mormon or it will never be effective. Since they use the Book of Mormon to prostelize, there's no way to dissociate themselves...
They all got mad at me of course and told me the church is not a business. No one believes me that they'll change the name of the BOM too... I'm seriously thinking that plan is in the future.

Date: October 06, 2018 12:21AM

“Another Testimony of Jesus Christ.” :)

A hearty, fuck the Morg, to you! Cftexan!

Date: October 06, 2018 12:34AM

Its driving me nuts. As long as the BOM is around and taught, and pushed, no one will ever stop calling them Mormons. They can't get rid of the BOM altogether of course or the whole Joseph Smith thing and therefore the basis of the religion falls apart.

The only option is to change the name of the book. Pretty sure they've already discussed that, and it will be one of the last things to change. After all, the reason why they got the Mormon nickname is because of the Book of Mormon.

I'm just like, "duh!" how are people not seeing this? lol

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 12:53AM

blowing his horn.

The eyes of Texas are upon you
All the livelong day

Date: October 06, 2018 12:56AM

That would be nice, let’s throw Moroni under the cureloms! Big hugs, Bethie!

Date: October 06, 2018 01:22AM

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 01:49AM

Spot on. The Reorganized LDS discovered this a while back but of course they ran out of male Smiths to be prophet so if you are going to change the doctrine let's just phase Joseph Smith completely out of the picture. Maybe this is what the LDS in Salt Lake will end up doing in time. Survival of the church is of course more important than keeping Joseph Smith and anything he brought in. Why? It doesn't sell. Selling Joseph Smith is like selling buggy whips. Like anything church's have to adapt to survive.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 01:09AM

Recently, IHOP said they were changing their name to "International House of Burgers." Big flop--they said it was just a temporary marketing gimmick to promote their burgers, which I don't buy. They were smart enough to go back to IHOP (after wiping the egg of their corporate face).

Now [my heart is very heavy here :=( ] My beloved Dunkin Donuts is going to just plain "Dunkin." This will succeed like "New Coke" did.

I expect the same for LDS/Mormonism. cfTexan has an interesting hypothesis: that it is to make an old-fart's marginal religion more palatable to those born in, and coming of age in, the church. We can't know for sure, as some posters suggest it may be Nelson's psychological dynamic in play. But it's a good point, cfTexan.

Date: October 06, 2018 01:21AM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> We can't know for sure, as some posters suggest it
> may be Nelson's psychological dynamic in play. But
> it's a good point, cfTexan.

That is why it drives me nuts that Mormons think "the prophet tells us what god tells him"-- they can't even see or realize changes the church makes when a new "prophet" take the reins. Mormons don't seem to realize how their church is a business and is run as such. They don't see that its run exactly the same way as other churches, such as the catholics are run. They believe their prophet is different because they have "direct communication" with god, whereas the pope is just coming up with stuff on his own. I think it is becoming more obvious lately how the church changes based on the top leadership at the time, but these Mormons will never see it...

Date: October 06, 2018 01:41AM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I expect the same for LDS/Mormonism. cfTexan has
> an interesting hypothesis: that it is to make an
> old-fart's marginal religion more palatable to
> those born in, and coming of age in, the church.
> We can't know for sure, as some posters suggest it
> may be Nelson's psychological dynamic in play. But
> it's a good point, cfTexan.

I thought that was my hypothesis... I could be wrong.

Date: October 06, 2018 02:02AM

Yes, it was your hypothesis. My statement didn't say anything about Nelson.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 01:44AM

Rebranding TCoJoOLDS is like rebranding Prell shampoo.

Date: October 06, 2018 03:17PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 09, 2018 12:38PM

That is funny.

Date: October 06, 2018 01:53AM

From wikipedia...

Staying relevant
Companies can also choose to rebrand to remain relevant to its (new) customers and stakeholders. This could occur when a company's business has changed, for example its strategic direction and industry focus, or its brand no longer fits its (new) customer base. For example, a company might rebrand so that its name works in new market it enters, for reasons of culture or language, such as to make it easier to pronounce.

Rebranding is also a way to refresh an image to ensure its appeal to contemporary customers and stakeholders. What once looked fresh and relevant may no longer do so years later.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 09:48AM

I wonder if this rebranding is the decision of one old man on the verge of senility (so called prophet - head of the Corporate sole), or is it the decision of a sophisticated (much younger) marketing team? Either way it's a bad choice. Whether it's just bad or completely terrible has yet to reveal itself. If the old fool made the decision by himself, the choice is probably worse. There are just things that young professionals who know better won't do.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 10:43AM

I think the rebranding is definitely aimed at the general public. The church has had a lot of significant mis-steps over the years, including banning blacks from the priesthood, Prop 8, banning minor children of gay couples from getting baptized, etc. And now Sam Young has given the church a major PR problem by virtue of his work in protecting Mormon children from invasive church interviews. This story has been covered by major national and regional news outlets.

It could also affect our board and other exMormon support sites. If the church goes with another name, investigators may not be prompted to search for the word, "Mormon" which has a lot of negative publicity. This is especially true as the church tries to move further into Africa and other places. We know from Nelson's speech about tithing in southern Africa that the church is dead serious about exploiting Africans and in extending its market reach there.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 10:58AM

I wish the people of African countries were smart enough to Prohibit wealth (donations) from leaving each country; It's like they don't need that money/wealth at home to allow it to go elsewhere.

Tithing leaving Africa isn't going to help them grow their society/ economy, it's foolish to think so.

Date: October 06, 2018 01:37PM

If they are not changing missionary shirts from white to another color, the general public will not know of any rebranding. They can coach the members to refer to the church as tcojcolds, but it is the members that are being reprogrammed, not the public.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 11:12AM

They can change the name of their "brand" but that will not change the "quality (or lack thereof)" of their "brand."

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 11:26AM

The Book of Temple Square.

I kind of like it.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 11:33AM

Soon, Russell will change his name to what RfM has used for a long time, the Profit of the not-mormon church. The only ones to notice will be members.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 02:52PM

Ironically you know what all of this rebranding and renaming reminded me of?

Donny Osmond, when his career was in the toilet during the '80s, asked Michael Jackson for advice as to how to change that.
Jackson told him to change his name as it was poison. Much to Osmond's personal credit and integrity, he decided not to do that as he knew it was only a gimmick.

In time, his career turned around and he is doing ok now. And without having to pretend he was someone other than who he really is.

His church could learn something from their entertainer member

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 03:29PM

I've heard a story that when Donny released his "Soldier of Love" single that it was requested by disk jockeys not to mention who was the recording artists. Apparently, Donny felt that his Mormon good boy persona might derail his music career comeback.

Posted by: Befuddled ( )
Date: October 09, 2018 12:32PM

They are preserving assets, income and revenue streams with an eye to major downsizing of the public church side of the organization. They will do anything necessary to keep the gravy train going for the connected elites and their extended families and associates.In 50 years, it will look little like now (just as today’s iteration looks little like it did in the 50s and 60s.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 09, 2018 12:49PM

I don't think the term Mormon is hated. I think it was something people associated with interesting things like polygamy and music. Now it is associated with jokes and temples and believing Jesus is bros with Satan.

Posted by: Deb ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 11:16AM

I do wish they would re-brand BYU. Can't stand the thought that my alma mater is named after a shyster Brigham Young.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 11:27AM

UAP -- the University at Provo.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 01:57PM

Re-branding to the church's full name will be a mistake. When Gordon doubled down on the Mormon nickname, the church grew. Retention was horrible, but the church grew.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 03:03PM

Well golly-gee, let's see.....

if the church really wants to re-brand itself, why not do some spectacular, amazing things that bring about needed and helpful VITAL change in people's lives. This will certainly get attention, which seems what the MormonCult craves big-time. Their reputation is bound to change and people will sing their praises.

A few suggestions......

***Bring needed HEALTHY SAFE water to billions of people. Water is vital for life and when it is lacking, unsafe, and/or inconvenient to get, life is placed on a precarious edge EVERY SINGLE DAY.

***Sponsor a world-wide program to wipe out illiteracy, "even" and ESPECIALLY including women. Statistics demonstrate that the educating of women in families changes the family dynamics to the positive like no other program. So, if the Mormoncult is soooo pro-family, let them prove it.

The MormonCult is ultra wealthy.....billions and billions in its coffers. Tithing money FROM MEMBERS has made them so, so use this money for good. You have the resources FROM MEMBERS and it is your duty, the right thing to do, to make use of this money to do what you say a JESUS-CHURCH should do......spread love by helping the needy.

Well, what is stopping you? Could it be greed? Could it be the attributes that Jesus preached against?

Could you, those who run the church, change? If you did, well you certainly would succeed in re-branding the church for THE BETTER.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2018 03:14PM by presleynfactsrock.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.