Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 07:47PM

Okie Dokie, so my "drug dealer" (my friend that gives me books) dangled this tasty little tidbit in front of me and I couldn't gobble it up fast enough! CHOMP!

https://www.amazon.com/Powers-Darkness-Lost-Version-Dracula/dp/1468313363/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540854955&sr=8-1&keywords=powers+of+darkness

You need to read the extensive Forward to really understand. It is NOT a translation nor is it a different book. Stoker knew about the changes being made and it is closer in some ways to the "original" than the original publication as the editor wanted a lot of reworking. The relationship between England and Iceland during this time period was new to me. Throw in Mark Twain and a barn in PA and you really have to read the Forward!

You will also want to read up a bit about the first wife of Napoleon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_Jos%C3%A9phine

Since it is Halloween, and there are so many book lovers here, I thought I would pass this along. It is well worth the time, it is short as is the "original". Those that are into literature, in general, may find it worth the read. Now I am off to read BOTH again! I am just not sure what I think yet. Oh, and be sure to read Dracula’s Guest too :).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 08:52PM

Sounds interesting- especially the first one.

This place (RfM) is the best for book recommendations.

Thanks, Susan I/S!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 08:57PM

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong...

The Amazon page your link takes us to says that this book has two authors, Bram and one assumes someone Icelandic. So is it like 'fan fiction'?

Way down the same page there is mention of a "Dracula in Istanbul" with the pattern, two authors, Bram and a person one assumes is from Istanbul, which allows the leap to labeling it 'fan fiction'.

Also, in some of the reviews, it refers to two halves of the book, with the second half being barely more than an outline.

Is the 'fan fiction' label appropriate, in your mind?

Date: October 29, 2018 10:08PM

It is quite involved and rather hard to explain but I will try. They take 70 pages in the Forward to explain it. And there are pics :)

Stoker/Twain were buds.
Twain was buds with guys in Iceland.
Stoker hooked up with Vladimar Ásmundsson (VA) in Iceland.
Stoker sent Dracula stuff to VA.
Stoker had to change things for his editor in England.
VA "translated" the stuff Stoker had sent him.
Many years passed before someone noticed that the two stories were very different. Corneel De Roos 2014.
Papers found in a barn in PA point to the VA version being closer to Stoker's original notes.
In the Forward, they show how VA's influence colored Powers of Darkness.

So, it was written by Stoker, VA did a... translation/coloring of original Stoker material. De Roos figured out the difference and then Stoker's great grand nephew,Dacre Stoker, got involved.

I found this and it might help. But NO NO NO, not fanfiction!

http://www.overlookpress.com/powers-of-darkness.html

Oh and PS - I do not know what this one is. Dracula in Istanbul. My dealer is on the hunt for it. He has found a film version but not the book. Yet. He is relentless when on the hunt! But speaking of the IRL tie between Vlad Drăculea and the Ottomans I can't recommend this one enough. A solid 10 of 10. I read it at least once a year. I am working my way through all her books.

https://www.amazon.com/Historian-Elizabeth-Kostova/dp/0316070637/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540865833&sr=8-1&keywords=the+historian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2018 10:22PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 10:30PM

This, from your latest URL:

"In 2014, literary researcher Hans de Roos dove into the full text of Makt Myrkranna, only to discover that Ásmundsson hadn’t merely translated Dracula but had penned an entirely new version of the story, with all new characters and a totally re-worked plot. The resulting narrative is one that is shorter, punchier, more erotic, and perhaps even more suspenseful than Stoker’s Dracula."

Is there any information that Bram Stoker died NOT knowing the content of the Icelandic version? That would be the expected version.

Please, I don't mean to take anything away from your enthusiasm regarding the Icelandic version, I just wanted to pin down the facts. Any conclusion I may come to means nothing in this regard. This is not an AJ moment!

Date: October 29, 2018 11:54PM

Bram Stoker DID know and approved of the version translated/written by Valdimar Ásmundsson and wrote the original Forward for it. Then, when Hans De Roos translated Powers of Darkness into English, Dacre Stoker wrote an intro. So, yes, Bram did know and approve. Not only approved but it is closer to what Bram actually intended in the first place. For instance, the London editor wanted MORE of the story set in England/London so Bram made those changes but in P/D and the original notes, most of it takes place in Transylvania. Hence, in the British version, the story of Lucy and Mina is a large part of the story when in P/D not so much. There is also a whole political side that was toned down by the editor. And instead of "with all new characters" it would be more correct to say ADDITIONAL characters.

There are many many many footnotes as you go through the actual meat of the book.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 10:20PM

This does sound like a very good read.

Posted by: may log in tomorrow ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 10:58PM

Dracula, baptized into the church! Woohoo!

VLAD III DRACULA PRINCE OF WALLACHIA
Event(s): Birth:
1431 Curtea De Arges, Arges, Romania Christening: Death:
DEC 1476 Burial:

LDS Ordinances:
Baptism:
22 SEP 1989 PROVO
Endowment:
06 FEB 1990 PROVO
Sealing to Parents:
18 APR 1990 PROVO VLAD II DRACUL PRINCE OF WALLACHIA /
Endowment:
18 JAN 1990 PROVO
Sealing to Parents:
27 JAN 1990 PROVO VLAD II DRACUL PRINCE OF WALLACHIA / CATUNA

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/religion/2350282/posts

Date: October 30, 2018 12:03AM

They sure do dead dunk everyone don't they! Interesting they didn't seal him to either of his two wives. There is some controversy about the first one but the second was Justina Szilágyi de Horogszeg and they were married in 1475. She was a noble and there is no doubt as to their marriage.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 11:09PM

to reiterate Mitch Hedberg's warning.

If you see a doctor's clinic in your area and the doctor is "Dr. Acula", don't go there. He's not a real medical doctor.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 09:49PM

Amazon has the Bram Stokers dracula audible book on sale for 6.95 at the moment until the 31st I think.

In addition, slickdeals page, has link to get the audible book for free.

I'll put this power of darkness book on my wish list for future reference.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.