Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SixAM ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 05:23AM

Its been a while since I've been to the temple. I was thinking about women's role in the church. And running through all that I was thinking about the temple ceremony.

Adam covenants with the Lord, but Eve covenants unto Adam. She promises to obey Laws as put forth by God, but her covenant isn't to the Lord.

So if I am understanding this right: Women don't have covenants with God, they are attached to a guy. Hopefully the guy makes it, then they can go to the Celestial Kingdom.

I don't know why I am just getting this now. Its not even remotely the same and it explains why women have little input into the affairs of the church. Its not about them, like at all.

The following was grabbed from: http://mit.irr.org/mormon-temple-endowment-ceremony

1. Sisters, you have been washed and anointed to become hereafter Queens and Priestesses to your husbands.

2. (Female patrons stand as instructed.)

ELOHIM: Each of you bring your right arm to the square. You and each of you solemnly covenant and promise before God, angels, and these witnesses at this altar that you will each observe and keep the law of the Lord, and hearken to the counsel of your husband as he hearkens to the counsel of the Father. Each of you bow your head and say “Yes."

3. THE LAW OF OBEDIENCE

ELOHIM: Inasmuch as Eve was the first to eat of the forbidden fruit, if she will covenant that from this time forth she will obey the Law of the Lord, and will hearken unto your counsel as you hearken unto mine, and if you will covenant that from this time forth you will obey the Law of Elohim, we will give unto you the Law of Obedience and Sacrifice, and we will provide a Savior for you, whereby you may come back into our presence, and with us partake of Eternal Life and exaltation.

EVE: Adam, I now covenant to obey the Law of the Lord, and to hearken to your counsel as you hearken unto Father.

4. ELOHIM: We will put each sister under covenant to obey the Law of the Lord, and to hearken to the counsel of her husband, as her husband hearkens unto the counsel of the Father.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 10:09AM

Neither. They are to a cult.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 10:16AM

Spot on, Kathleen! They divert your attention and common sense and make you THINK that you are making covenants to your God in the making husband.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 11:40AM

And they get pretty obvious about it:

"THE LAW OF CONSECRATION

... It is that you do consecrate yourselves, your time, talents, and everything with which the Lord has blessed you, or with which he may bless you, to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ...

Hmmmmmm.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 12:10PM

You covenant to the Cult in their temples.

Many people do not realize this.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 02:14PM

Actually you promise your life in two laws - Law of Sacrifice and Law of Consecration. The Consecration one is specifically to a church. If that isn't obviously wrong I don't know what is. Most humans understand that there is something between metaphysical and physical understandings of beliefs. If the church represented God they wouldn't need a direct promise to it. They would merely be understood as providing the way to God and not having the assumption be that they receive the promise to the creator directly. If it really is promising everything you have including your life to the creator. Who knows.

Some people don't have a problem with this but to me it is a huge distinction and cause for pause.

If an organization is guided by the metaphysical taking away the promises directly to the metaphysical smack me of The Middle Ages where only priests could read The Bible and regular members where beholden to them for all of their spiritual enlightenment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2018 02:15PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 03:10PM

This is the 1990 version. I believe previous versions were to the husband without the "as he harkens unto father" line.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.