Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Alan XL ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 04:52AM

I know we all have our deep seated reasons but for the life of me I can't leave it alone.

So the bastards are right after all, even though I make excuses to myself of why I can't.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 06:59AM

When LSD Church members say that, they are not really saying anything. They are not making an argument. In fact, they are conceding that they have no adequate response to any of your carefully considered, factually-based logical arguments.

Why would someone be obligated to stop thinking and stop talking about an organization that practiced systematic deception against them and their loved ones and, in the process, took from them a huge amount of valuable time, as well as money?

Apostate: "You know, there is abundant evidence indicating that Joseph Smith was an adulterer long before he got the 'revelation' about plural marriage and there is abundant evidence indicating that he publicly lied about his polygamous activities while secretly engaging in them. I can provide you with detailed historical references and logical analysis backing this up. I regret that I spent so many years actively doing busy work for the organization that he established and regret donating thousands of dollars to it that could have been much better spent on my family's needs."

TBM: "Well, now, look at you! I guess what they say is true, people that leave the Church just can't leave it alone."

Apostate: "So? Why should I stop talking about it and thinking about it, just because I don't believe in it anymore?"

TBM: "Wha...wait! You're not supposed to have that reaction. You're supposed to hear that clever couplet about leaving it but not being able to leave it alone and then feel like you're doing something wrong by not leaving it alone! Because couplets. You know, how can you argue against a clever couplet, even if it doesn't really mean anything or have any logical significance."

______

Mormons think they score points when they say something like "you can leave it, but you can't leave it alone". They've heard it so much that they seem to think that it's a commonly accepted moral principle that if you leave a corrupt organization, you're then supposed to never talk about it ever again.

It falls into a huge category of "truisms" that people mindlessly repeat without realizing how obviously untrue they are.

Like that nonsensical notion that "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger!" No it doesn't make you stronger. Not necessarily. Something that almost kills you, can often leave you permanently maimed, impaired, weakened, traumatized, disabled, in chronic pain....

Similarly, the idea that "if you leave the church, you should leave it alone" is complete nonsense. You don't have to leave it alone. Anything that has attempted to assert its authority over you and make demands upon you for a huge period of your life is not exempt from continuing scrutiny and attention from you after you have freed yourself from its bogus authority claims.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 09:24AM

The Mormon church didn’t kill me (though I almost died on my mission), and it certainly didn’t make me stronger.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 11:48AM

You say that the Mormon church didn't make you stronger. How likely are you now, to join another cult? Can you recognize a cult now when you see one? What are the odds that now you'll join scientology or the Jehovas Witnesses? What is it worth to you now that you won't fall prey to some cult?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2018 11:49AM by azsteve.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 04:18PM

Was it worth it? Absolutely, positively, 100% no!

If I lost a finger while using a table saw, I’d be more careful with all power tools, but I’d still be missing a finger.

The only reason I ever fell victim to a cult was because I was born into it (as were my parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc.)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 08:15AM

The brainwashing runs deep, and the damage it causes to family and loved ones so enduring, it deserves whatever bad publicity it gets from former Mormons shedding the light on its evil practices. For what good it has done in the world, it is outweighed by the evil it inflicts on unsuspecting victims.

In that sense, ex-Mos are a force to be reckoned with, because we are a like an avenging army. As a group such as RfM and elsewhere, even moreso. Here, our voices are amplified. They can maybe drown out one or two voices, but not an entire group/s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2018 08:19AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 11:47AM

...yes, and since there is no clear recovery mechanism for brainwashing; (childhood to adult), it is an ongoing event. Even using the most sophisticated methods, it doesn't always work for everyone. Hit or miss at best.........all we can do now is point out the hypocrisy and falsehoods, and maybe that's the best we can do for now.

Date: November 11, 2018 07:13PM

Yes my biggest challenge is admitting to myself that I was truly brainwashed.

But WhyTF did it take me 45 years to find out.

Sure I was born into it but supposedly I do have a brain.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 08:55AM

We all have a sense of morbid curiosity. Somehow we escaped the sausage grinder, but now we’re fascinated with the mechanism. Mormonism is the kind of freak show you can’t stop watching.

Date: November 11, 2018 07:15PM

Brilliant observation.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 09:44AM

Excellent points above.
Plus, it's a sure bet that the Mormon who says you can't leave the church alone is the very person who isn't leaving you alone or respecting your boundaries.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 11:11AM

Good, thoughtful insights on this subject. I had felt a little guilt because I can't leave the church alone, but you guys are correct; it's hard to let go of something that destroys families, and self esteem. Yesterday, we were standing in line to get some lunch and talked with someone waiting in line that we haven't seen for a few years because they had moved out of the neighborhood. She asked what we did in the "ward " now and my husband flat out told her that we had left TSCC. She didn't seem surprised and didn't ask why. We didn't care that there were a lot of people over hearing the conversation, but beforehand, I would've been embarrassed to say anything. I'll speak out against TSCC anytime there's an opportunity that presents itself.

Date: November 11, 2018 11:51AM

Like you, I can say now unabashedly that I left Mormonism because it is a cult I was born into, with people I strike up conversations with. To my TBM family still in it, I keep a respectful distance because of unhealthy boundaries. We don't discuss religion to preserve what's left of our tattered bonds. It's from being Mormon that has caused deep divisions between family, that and other insecurities of my SIL's. When they married my brothers, my family lost two brothers, and two sons.

One of those brothers I've disowned because of his avarice. Not the other who recently passed away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2018 11:52AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 11:18AM

and she will be getting married in the temple. My sister, who I no longer speak to, will be at the wedding, but I will not be. But then my sister's kids will be outside the temple. All of them. AND all her grandkids. Not one mormon in the bunch of them.

Mormonism was a huge negative in my life and my story is on here. I won't repeat it yet again. My choices on advice from leaders and also because of their teachings ABOUT GAYS influenced my choices. It will impact my childrens' lives ALWAYS. My twins--daughter is TBM, son is anti-mormon--this is a daily thing for us. Their gay father lives here in the downstairs and I live upstairs.

I watch what is going on now in mormonism with Russell and I have to laugh. When are they all going to wake up. I've never seen such insanity in the lds church as right now. I can keep hoping that my daughter will someday let it go. She used to be an anti-mormon.

So those are my reasons for not letting it go. They are still telling gays to get married to women, no matter what they say they are doing. They are still destroying lives.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 11:36AM

I had a brain tumor decades ago and I still try to spread warnings about that to others.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 12:27PM

Exactly.

People will tell others the truth about their bad experiences as an act of concern, honesty and warning.

You'd think a Mormon would like to be told if he was being sold goods by an unscrupulous seller, but no. They are conditioned to protect the church and be credulous.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 11:55AM

When they stop the missionary program and admit that Joseph Smith was a fraud, maybe I'll leave them alone. Until then, I will do my part to stop them and to warn others about them.

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 12:14PM

They won't leave us alone, and 65K missionaries won't leave the rest of the world alone. Why should we leave them alone?

As always, mormons want it both ways. To be a mormon is to be a hypocrite.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 12:31PM

Why would we need to "leave the church alone?" It is fair game. It's an international religion. It is part of many of our family and friends lives. Many live and work with Mormons.

The idea that members of an international religion would resort to a silly comment like: you can leave the church but you can't leave it alone," is a pathetic put-down, which they continue to want everyone to "preach the gospel" and get people to join. Besides, they find every way they can to pester everyone that doesn't resign their membership, and continue to proselytize all over the world. They don't want to be left alone.

Nobody says: you can leave the Catholic Church (or any other church) and can't leave it alone.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 01:07PM

If someone accused me of not leaving it alone I think I might respond by quoting their inspired leaders.

“Mormonism, as it is called, must stand or fall on the story of Joseph Smith. He was either a prophet of God, divinely called, properly appointed and commissioned, or he was one of the biggest frauds this world has ever seen. There is no middle ground. If Joseph Smith was a deceiver who willfully attempted to mislead the people, then he should be exposed; his claims should be refuted, and his doctrines shown to be false.” – Senior Latter-day Saint apostle Joseph Fielding Smith in 1954

“If we have the truth, it cannot be harmed by investigation. If we have not the truth, it ought to be harmed.”
J. Reuben Clark

A thorough critical examination revealed it (Mormonism) to be a grand lie even though it attempts to conceal the fact in religious devotion and piety. I prefer the hard truth over a comforting lie. Others don't, some prefer a comforting lie.

Date: November 11, 2018 01:48PM

For a cult that prides itself on shunning, excommunicating, and disfellowshipping its members at will through a kangaroo court process, it doesn't get a pass on being exempt from criticism or passing judgment.

It's fair game.

Posted by: baaaaadam5 ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 02:16PM

I have definitely noticed this. People follow the operation like they are still in the d@mn thing. It's not healthy.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 03:04PM

I believe wholeheartedly that we exmormons who have discovered the deviousness of the MormonCult have all the right in the world to expose this organization for what it is.....a lying dangerous fraud founded on lies that still is lying and still is causing danger.

The MormonCult clokes itself in piety claiming to promote peace and love on earth when they instead promote division, elitism, and greed on a huge scale.

When you have loved ones as well as strangers still indoctrinated and being strangled by the evils of the cult for me it is a necessity to keep educated as to what the MormonCult is up to.....because they are always up to something.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 03:31PM

The face hugger from “Alien” is not your friend.

Posted by: baaaaadam5 ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 03:36PM

presleynfactsrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe wholeheartedly that we exmormons who
> have discovered the deviousness of the MormonCult
> have all the right in the world to expose this
> organization for what it is.....a lying dangerous
> fraud founded on lies that still is lying and
> still is causing danger.
>
> The MormonCult clokes itself in piety claiming to
> promote peace and love on earth when they instead
> promote division, elitism, and greed on a huge
> scale.
>
> When you have loved ones as well as strangers
> still indoctrinated and being strangled by the
> evils of the cult for me it is a necessity to keep
> educated as to what the MormonCult is up
> to.....because they are always up to something.

You may have a point. It's hard to ignore this type of an operation when you were once in it's clutches and know what it is and you still have family locked in it.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 08:59PM

Can't leave it alone? Darn tootin I can't leave it alone!! I feel a strong responsibility to prevent others from selling their souls to a conglomerate as I once did in the Mormon temple ceremony.

If you lost all your friends and family to a deadly or debilitating disease wouldn't you feel a responsibility to warn others about how they contracted it and point them in the direction to avoid it or get vaccinated? And if they already contracted it wouldn't you show them how to get treatment? This is exactly what happens to individuals who lose their entire family when they leave LDS,Inc. and are shunned.

If that analogy sounds too harsh then just think of the dollars lost by people who think their tithing dollars are doing multitudes of charitable works when actually it is going into the pockets of the leaders and into the process of growing the corporation. I sure would like to spare all the Mormons I know who are struggling to pay their bills and care for disable children because such a big chunk of their modest income is going to build a corporate enterprise. If they could actually see where every dollar they have extorted from them by LDS,Inc. goes they would be horrified. Their families and children deserve better.

You want me to "leave you alone"? NEVER!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.