Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 01:40PM

When I was in the church I observed the member fell into three groups. Religious addicts, stuck in it and looney toons. The religious addicts actually loved the church. They loved the callings. I think it gave them a sense of self-importance. Such people tended to be real go getters and some because of this managed to make a good living for themselves. Some in this group were the ones who others would call spiritual giants and tended to get the higher callings in the church.

The stuck in it group found church a bore and a chore. They didn't want any callings and could care less about how they stood in the church. Basically this was a group of people who were only at church because staying for whatever reasons was easier than leaving.

I found the looney toon group to be surprisingly large in the church. Less so in the more affluent areas but higher in the middle class and lower class wards. These are your needy people who seek attention. These tend to be your regular testimony bearers on fast Sunday. These are the people who are constantly seeking out the bishop. In short. They are nuts. Quite a large percentage of the active church congregation falls into this category. These are the people you really want to avoid and you cringe when you are assigned to them as a home teacher or have one as your home teaching partner. If one does manage to get into a church leadership position, dealing with them can become hell. I actually had a looney toon as a mission president. He made that grade because he did well financially being a lawyer but the dude was nuts. He was a looney coo coo puff bird. I imagine some of the 70's, apostles, and even first presidency members might be a looney toon who made it. Russel M. Nelson and his current wife 30 years younger than him seem to have inhaled a lot of looney gas over the years and it's showing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 05:23PM

I have family members who are religious addicts. It is really pathetic how shallow their lives seem when they can't have a regular conversation that does not involve church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.