Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 09:36PM

I don’t know if any of you listen to “This American Life”, the NPR show, hosted/written/produced etc. by Ira Glass. I used to listen to the podcast version on a regular basis but somehow have kind of gotten away from it, along with Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell me, Car Talk and others.

I was driving from my ghetto apartment to Sandy (Salt Lake Valley) to see my 6 year old granddaughter do some dancing with her class, just like her mommy did all those many years ago.
I turned on KUER and listened to This American Life and heard Ira Glass talking to a woman who is a producer on his show and she was talking about growing up a Mormon and her experience with Bishop Interviews when she was a young girl. There was a man who is also a producer for the show, who’s girlfriend is also a Mormon. And he got the other producer and his girlfriend to talk to each other and they are both on this show.

It’s interesting enough and I guess because I’m an old guy, I don’t remember having those kind of interviews on a regular basis, but maybe I’ve forgotten. But it made me kind of creeped out that they still ask those questions.

Here’s a link online to it and if you listen to podcasts, it’s easy to find in whatever client you use for your podcasts. It's usually one of the most listened to podcasts.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 10:11PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 02:52PM

Are you sure? It talks about Sam Young, so it can't be very old. Plus it ran for two 20 minute segments, a rarity on TAL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2018 02:54PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 10:30PM

Yea, there is a thread on here somewhere and maybe someone can sew them together.

It was great-WOW!

I turned the other radio down [playing music].

Millions listen

Posted by: dogblogger nli ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 10:43PM

I heard the part where she talked with the church spokesman. He gave the excuse that she had found a small number of people troubled by it. My thought wasthats a cheap dodge. How is it that man can have higher ethics than God by trying to minimize harm rather than ignore the harm you caused with a weak justification. It's not about comparing numbers, it's recognizing your system hurts people and so it is of the Devil, not God. A godly system wouldnt mess people up, no matter how few.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 11:26PM

I was a little disappointed the no one went "there" dropped the brick that the church™ is made-up hokum.

But that wasn't the point of the broadcast; however, some damage has been done. Now the missionaries must lie to investigators who listen to public radio (not that they'd fall for Mo'ism anyway...)

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 12:34AM

DH and I listened to Elna Baker's segment, "The Old Man On My Shoulder" this evening. Elna tackles the inappropriate and harmful sexual interviews of children by Mormon bishops that Sam Young brought to national attention for which he was excommunicated. We've followed Elna Baker for a number of years now - she's an excellent writer! This segment is certainly worth listening to!

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/661/but-thats-what-happened/act-1-1

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 02:50PM

I listened to it this morning and it's very well done. At one point, Elna Baker interviews the church's spokesman, Eric Hawkins, and asks him to acknowledge that the practice of asking questions of a sexual nature in interviews with children is wrong. There's a long silence while he tries to figure out how to answer. He dances around her request and it's very obvious. The church doesn't look good, nor should it.

It's ironic that before the segment, Ira Glass warns listeners that the upcoming segment contains sexual content and may not be appropriate for children...just like many bishops' interviews.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 08:59PM

Yea, quite ironic huh

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.