Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 03:08PM

https://qz.com/1198671/depression-warning-signs-pay-attention-to-the-words-they-use/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=qz-paid&utm_campaign=q4-nov&fbclid=IwAR1s_uK07esgpJm5K1Mi6cMnF7Aj3UaB7vueOv5NPH3wAmvg2X_DAAQnkWs

"those with symptoms of depression use an excessive amount of words conveying negative emotions, specifically negative adjectives and adverbs—such as “lonely,” “sad” or “miserable.”
More interesting is the use of pronouns. Those with symptoms of depression use significantly more first person singular pronouns—such as “me,” “myself,” and “I”—and significantly fewer second and third person pronouns—such as “they,” “them” or “she.” This pattern of pronoun use suggests people with depression are more focused on themselves, and less connected with others. Researchers have reported that pronouns are actually more reliable in identifying depression than negative emotion words.

We know that rumination (dwelling on personal problems) and social isolation are common features of depression."

So the question is, Does dwelling on personal problems and social isolation lead to depression, or is it the other way around, does depression feed into an an endless loop of dwelling on personal problems and social isolation, which leads to further depression?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2018 03:27PM by koriwhore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 04:26PM

Does a person have a runny nose because they have a cold or do they have a cold because they have a runny nose.

As with any illness a symptom is not a cause. And I wouldn't want to mis-characterize the symptoms as definitive diagnosis simply because it could cause mistreatment.

Depression like any other illness needs treatment and failure to treat it could make it worse, but by no means does wallowing in the illness cause more illness it just doesn't help it.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 04:41PM

Back when I was drowning in depression, (an abusive husband AND the job he had shoved me into, where I got mostly negative feedback because I was totally unsuited to the work) I found that no amount of anti-depressant medication could help me. No matter what brand or what quantity. I had to get out of the depressing situations, and THEN I was free to be myself again.

Since being both happily remarried AND retired from that horrible job, I am a MUCH happier person. I still have some degree of PTSD from the Bad Old Days, but life is much better than it was.

The last therapist I worked with died way too soon from complications of diabetes. She specialized in PTSD, and understood my situation better than any therapist I ever worked with, before or since. She used EMDR.

In later years, my DH was certified as a therapist, and he got a certificate in EMDR use, too. He asked if he could use me for practice as he was preparing for licensure. I gave my therapist permission to talk to him as a professional colleague. They both agreed that I had a bone-marrow deep conviction that "I can't ever do anything right."

That, despite graduating from a world-class university with something like a 3.8 GPA.

It was hammered into me by my mother throughout childhood (that I was "bad,") and then in the 17 years of my first marriage by both my husband and my employers that I was BARELY capable of doing anything right despite having tested in high school with an IQ of 149.

I will never forget the day I came home in fifth grade, happily waving a 13-page long, handwritten paper about Brazil. I had worked very hard on it. I got an A+ on it. Without missing a beat, my mother said, "Yes, but what about your MATH?" My worst subject. And she had to fling it in my face like a bucket of cold water.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 05:14PM

Other words that indicate depression—-

Ward
Stake
Primary
Mechelzidek
Aaron if
Foyer
2-3 hour block
Mutual
Cumorah
Garments
Corporate Sole
Funeral Potatoes
Any other LDS word...

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 08:38PM

I have been depressed before.
After I lost my belief in Joseph's Myth, along with my community, my main friends. My best friend.
My wife. My job. My home. Gone.
All because I took the red pill, followed the evidence to its logical conclusion, instead of the blue pill.
Knowing full well that truth is no guarantee of happiness.
I prefer truth
To happiness.
I prefer reality
To fantasy.
I prefer science, reason,
Which gets you so far,
Like Einstein said, "For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. ... "Imagination is more important than knowledge.".

"The arc of the moral universe is long but tends towards justice."
-Obama

Hopefully that proves true.
Because if is otherwise,
How the hell did we get here in the first place?

Nothing is the End of the World, but
THE End of the World.
Seems legit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2018 08:53PM by koriwhore.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.