Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mormon nomore ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 04:45PM

Can someone tell me if all LDS homes were left undamaged in the California wildfires?

Admittedly, this miracle will get me back into the pew.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-pge-paradise-fire-destruction-20181114-story.html#nws=mcnewsletter

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 07:40PM

It's the same ghawdly, fair play principle as keeping proof of the final Nephite-Lamanite battles from being discovered!

If every full tithe payer's home in Paradise had been spared, the absolute rock solid conclusion that the mormon church was true would have had every Tom, Dick & Harry signing up for a baptism date.

And the non-tithe payers whose homes burned completely to the ground!!! And the part tithe payers who lost a percentage of the house corresponding to the percentage they were paying of a full tithe!! Imagine how their testimonies would grow and flourish!!

Fast Sunday for the Paradise wards could end up with an extended F&TM! Especially after the waves of trucks from DI in SLC come rolling in...

Just remember, our sojourn on Earth is a test, not a sure thing.

ETA: forgot to turn off the /s!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2018 07:41PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 08:39PM

Mo neighbors from grad school days moved to Paradise decades ago. As far as I have been able to find out, they are safe, but don't know more. Surely they are still tithe-payers, but I find it hard to believe that their home and the homes of their many offspring are untouched.

Will let you know as soon as I find out.

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 08:55PM

No.Paradise had tons of retired LDS.I don't even know of one on the firelines.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 09:51PM

there must be a big LDS community in Paradise. They showed some lady on KSL, living in UT now, talking about her wedding and how upset she was that the LDS chapel she got married in, was burned down. She was so upset, showing the news all her wedding pictures she had...in her house...in Utah..... She was really sad about her chapel burning down and had lots of pictures, to show that chapel.....

All I could think of were all the people living in Paradise, who lost their houses AND all their photos and irreplaceable keepsakes and mementos...

Once again, w/KSL pushing the LDS connection, they made a LDS lady look clueless as to the suffering of the people currently in Paradise...

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 10:40PM

IF the lds-owned homes were spared while others close burned or were destroyed...

What type of a god-figure would be in charge?

as far as the women whose wedding chapel was destroyed:

Obviously punishment for performing weddings outside the temple!!

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: November 16, 2018 07:12AM

"as far as the women whose wedding chapel was destroyed:
Obviously punishment for performing weddings outside the temple!!"

Yep. I thought the same thing. With this fire as well as every other disaster reported by mormons, the only way they can relate is by focusing on how the mormons in the area are affected, no the all the PEOPLE are affected by the disaster...

They (mormons) think they are informing the world of their plight, but they are only informing and reporting to their tribe

Posted by: holycarp ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 11:07PM

Many years ago when I was in Young Women there was a fire in my town in an area called Ganesha Hills.

Our Laurel teacher was an absolutely lovely person and so is her husband. We loved her kind and truly caring ways and she felt a great responsibility toward us us.

They lived in the Ganesha Hills area at the bottom of the hills, last home on the block.

The hills caught fire and several homes burned to the ground or were badly damaged. They told a story of how the fire came right up to the edge of their back yard fence and stopped. There house was spared.

We all thought it was a miracle. They told us the family kneeled in prayer asking god to spare their home.

A few days later I heard the husband telling some people that he stayed all night keeping the house and lawn wet.

I was surprised that they could not allow themselves to see that keeping the house and grass wet spared their home and it was not divine intervention. They felt badly that so many lost their homes but were convinced god spared their home because they paid tithing, attended the temple, read the scriptures and everything else LDS, Inc. requires to be considered one of the faithful.

I was 16 but I knew it was because of the actions he took to save the home was why it survived intact.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 11:09PM

It depends...were the tithe-payer homes wearing their garments?

Posted by: Alan XL ( )
Date: November 16, 2018 12:04AM

Shit that's funny.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 16, 2018 12:09PM

Reminds me of when I went to Rexburg with an old roomie from Ricks a couple months after the Teton Dam flood. We wanted to go see what it looked like and stopped to visit my old seminary teacher from CA who had moved to Rexburg a few years prior and who had been in the bishopric of our student ward.

His house had been undamaged in the flood while a number of houses in very close proximity had been washed off their foundations and were found miles down the road. He was telling us that President Eyering (president of Ricks at the time) had been out looking at the damage and stopped to talk to them. He said to my friend "I want to know how much tithing you pay."

I was quite dumb and naive then. I thought "Wow, of course his house was spared. He's such a great person with a good family and I'm sure has always paid his tithing." And that's what he was insuating too.

Now I laugh. I mean it was freakin Rexburg. In the 70s. Everyone was a good person who paid a full tithe, yet many of their homes were completely destroyed. Gee, ya think maybe it was just the geography and topography of the area? The water didn't just jump path and go and select which homes to take with it. Some were in the path, some weren't. Some were built better than others. But Nooooooo. It was tithing! Yeah, ok.

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: November 16, 2018 01:55PM

A wise man prepares.
Have you heard all he bs about Anthony Hopkins house being saved? Look at it. Clearcut with cement all around, metal roof. Listen to the firemen people. But Paradise, the winds and the failure of the 911 callback system. They werent living by the sea. They were trying to live on medicare

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 16, 2018 02:22PM

Deseret News has had articles on how members have been affected. Ward building burned to the ground. Bishops homes, etc

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 16, 2018 02:33PM

What about...

a 'part-member' family where one spouse pays 'full tithing' on their income, but the other partner/spouse/S.O. doesn't, y and the own the property together?

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 16, 2018 02:37PM

"Church News: Paradise Camp Fire hits Latter-day Saint families hard, destroys Church meetinghouses"

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900041261/church-news-paradise-camp-fire-hits-latter-day-saint-families-hard-destroys-church-meetinghouse.html

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 16, 2018 07:13PM

If only those people had cut "mormon" out of their vocabularies sooner!

But there will be Miracle stories come out of this and the faithful members who didn't have any miracles will just have to suck it up, bow their heads and be part of the 'Amen' chorus.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.