Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michael ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 12:30PM

This new movie phenomenon, "Hunger Games," does it have any Mormon connection?

Are the books it's based on Mormon-written?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 12:39PM

And while I did like the first one, the series really pisses me off.

It's good "children's literature."

I hear adults raving about book series, and they've all been books written for kids.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 05:52PM

These are not your "happy ending" the "good guys win" kind of stories. Betrayal, corruption, class warfare, sacrifice and the hard realities of the human condition are laid bare in these books.

I rather enjoyed them.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 21, 2012 03:13AM

They're still young adult fiction for a reason. And if that's all most adults read, don't expect me to be impressed with the state of literacy.

Posted by: rkreed12 ( )
Date: March 14, 2012 04:11PM

I'm really good friends with the author's son and we talk about the books a lot, he's never mentioned anything about Mormons. That doesn't mean that Mormons are definitely not a part of the story but it's not anything significant. The author and her family isn't Mormon either.

Posted by: JLM ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 03:06AM

The lost 13th tribe? It is Mormon in the same way Battlestar was. Just because it doesn't push Mormon values does not mean it has no Mormon tones in it.

Posted by: Cita ( )
Date: November 16, 2018 11:41PM

I was only wondering if Mormonism was just a tid-bit because the capital appears to be in Utah a d there is a big lake around it, possibly Salt Lake?
Not that the story was anything close to religion..

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 17, 2018 02:19PM

No connection

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 12:49PM

My dughter read them and never mentioned any mormon link.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 01:47PM

I've read them - no Mormony stuff I noticed. AFAIK, Suzanne Collins (the author) isn't Mormon. I think there has been some significant overlap with the Hunger Games fanbase and the Twilight fanbase.

Posted by: SD ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 01:56PM

I've read all three books and while I'm a nevermo, I consider myself well versed in the subject to be able to pick up on some of the intricacies should they appear.

I feel confident in saying that there is absolutely zero connection to Mormonism in Hunger Games. For one, Katniss (the heroine) has zero intention of ever marrying or having kids. The story revolves around a dystopian North America where one boy and girl are randomly selected from each district to "play" in the annual Hunger Games. The object is to kill and be the last one standing to win.

Think Orwell's 1984 meets a modern reality television program, like Survivor except with death. It's very dark and life is hard for every one involved. There is no religion. When people marry they "toast" (clink glasses?) each other and it's done. Katniss' family is impoverished, Katniss has to provide for her family by hunting and generally Katniss is very moody and distrusting of everyone (including the lead male, Peeta). She is not moody like Bella from Twilight. Bella was just obnoxious. Katniss is deservedly moody. She lives a nightmare of a life where people are killed just because and people are watched at all times.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 10:41PM

I also read all three books. Found them quite enjoyable. Saw nothing that screamed "Mormon" to me. In fact, just the fact that the main character is a female and quite capable (a hero, in fact) tells me that it's completely lacking in Mormon themes. :)

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: March 13, 2012 10:45PM

I'm curious to know how it compares to Battle Royale, which seems to have a similar premise. Battle Royale's pretty disturbing, and a pretty deep, dark investigation into what humans do in desperation.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: March 14, 2012 04:33PM

No Mormon connection. In fact I'd say the craze for this books in the Mormon world is rather hypocritical (not quite as bad as Twilight.) Hunger Games is super-violent; definitely R rated stuff in the book. It's almost as violent as to Bible, probably even more violent than the Book of Mormon.

Posted by: w ( )
Date: March 14, 2012 04:43PM

I'm currently reading the third book. I kind of thought they were somewhat anti-mormon. The plot revolves around the ruling entity losing control and people thinking and acting for themselves in open rebellion.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 21, 2012 02:53AM

I rather enjoyed the original version with Arnold Schwarzenegger and that guy from family feud. Don't see why we needed to remake it as a kid's film, book series.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: March 21, 2012 03:50AM

( dude, arent you talking about "Running Man" ?
and that was based on a Steven King story )

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: November 17, 2018 04:51PM

Forbiddencokedrinker, you are thinking of wrong movie..... The one with Arnold and Richard Dawson was Running Man. That was based on a short story that Stephen King wrote under a pseudonym name, Richard Bachmann.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 21, 2012 02:56AM

I also don't want to see anything to do with the series, because I had a manipulative neighbor who kept trying to push them on me. Girl had all kinds of problems, and was always trying to guilt me into buying her junk off of her. At first I thought she was a cute girl, who was interested in me, but she was only interested in my wallet. Crazy as all get out too. Not the nice girl from work that I have been chasing, but crazy girl is probably why I was so worried about asking the nice girl out.

Posted by: FredaD ( )
Date: May 11, 2012 06:33PM

I live in Utah and I actually live with my in-laws who are Mormon/LDS and I have attended the church and researched the crap out of their church.

After reading the Hunger Games it is interesting to me to find people wondering if there is a Mormon base to it.
No, there's not. There's not even a christian note to it. Nor is there any other religious stand point.

Just a fantastic story that I wish never ended.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 03:24AM

Maybe you have it confused with the Twilight series, which was written by an LDS BYU grad

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 05:03AM

I figured "President Snow" was an obvious nod. Also, if you look for any maps of where the districts are supposed to be, you'll notice the capital is somewhere in the tops of the mountains in the west USA.

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 05:09AM

Both are sub-standard and depressing.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 17, 2018 01:49PM

I havent read them, but I have read some childrens' and YA literature such as th Anne of Green Gables series, Little House series and Heidi as an adult, along with a lot of adult stuff and classics. There is nothing wrong with that. Of course ,it is nice if you dont limit yourself to kids'stuff.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.