Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: druid ( )
Date: August 06, 2015 06:40PM

A mysterious object! In the world of Woo the expectation is we gaze in awe, talk in whispers, reflect on the spirit to confirm our hopes. Whooo…

Meanwhile, In the real world- A mysterious object ! Cool! Let’s test it! Find out what it is! How does it work? Is there really visible light coming from it as claimed ? Energy coming off of it? What kind ? How much? Can you change the font? If The Prophet (full of faith ) approaches will the out put change? Cut out a cross section, send off a sample, find out the chemical composition. Just looking at the pic I’d say it might be metamorphic? The white stripes look kind of quartzy? The black stripes might be biotite? But why guess? Find out! Have other similar rocks been found? Compare them. Is it just a rock transported by a glacier like so many in up state New York? We don’t know. But why guess? Let’s do some science on that sucker.

If all the rock is, was a vessel of faith for Joseph, he is lucky he didn’t fixate on a pile of entrails. Because we all know what they can do to the inside of a hat.

What else did Joseph often fixate on that he could have buried his face in?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2015 07:09PM by druid.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: August 06, 2015 07:18PM

The Rock is called Banded Iron.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 19, 2018 09:18AM

lapsed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Rock is called Banded Iron.

That may be the case, but I'd still be that if it was chemically analyzed, it would turn out to be 100% fossilized bullshit.

:)

Posted by: sonofabish ( )
Date: August 06, 2015 07:23PM

I believe the font choices are sans comic and times new roman

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 06, 2015 07:32PM

And reformed Egyptian characters above the font...

Excuse me, the church has revised that to "ancient Egyptian."

What was lunch hour like with the BYU/Maxwell archeologists today? A loud flushing sound of futures and careers going down the toilet, swirl, swirl, swirl.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 05:19PM

and Papyrus of course.

Date: August 06, 2015 07:23PM

Do you happen to know if the dark bands are iron?
Are there others around?
Oh! Found a Banded Iron link.

http://www.galleries.com/rocks/bif.htm

Erik , chime in on what you think that rock looks like it might be made of? Monson wants to know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2015 07:47PM by druid.

Posted by: Deet ( )
Date: August 06, 2015 08:01PM

link to picture of lots of seer stones.
http://reallyoldrocks.com/a-grade-2/

Posted by: hawk ( )
Date: August 07, 2015 09:22AM

"This is our most popular grade of Genesis Stone and is ideal for all metaphysical applications."

Wow...wonder if a lot of people in old Joe's time wanted these particular rocks. Wasn't expecting woo-woo from that link.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 06, 2015 08:22PM

Druid, great thread.

Especially laughed at these comments:

>If all the rock is, was a vessel of faith for Joseph, he is lucky he didn't fixate on a pile of entrails. Because we all know what they can do to the inside of a hat. What else did Joseph fixate on that he could have buried his face in?

What else indeed?

Date: November 18, 2018 05:23PM

Fanny Alger?

Date: August 06, 2015 11:28PM

More twisted logic I stumbled onto:

"I essentially agree with Bushman's take on JS's use of seer stones and dabblings in the occult in the 1820's which is that it was a preparatory time to use the stones so that when the time to translate came he would have had some experience. It also provides easy fodder for critics because it does look suspicious that a treasure digger claims a book of gold that he is translating that only three close associates can see. I am not saying I agree with the critique, but can certainly understand how it's not difficult to reach that conclusion, especially if one doesn't read the text to obtain a personal testimony."

God does that a lot- provides easy foder that is.

Date: August 06, 2015 11:36PM

Here is a strange site that traces another of Joseph's stones.

http://www.rickgrunder.com/HistoricalArchive/belchersmithdibble.htm

* Based on the description by James B. Buck, prominent early Susquehanna County settler, the original Belcher stone is generally viewed by historians as being the same, Dibble-Pierce Stone which is now offered here for sale. The haunting origins of this stone were recorded in Buck's account quoted by Emily C. Blackman . . .

The stone which he afterwards used was then in the possession of Jack Belcher, of Gibson, who obtained it while at Salina, N.Y., engaged in drawing salt. Belcher bought it because it was said to be "a seeing stone." I have often seen it. It was a green stone, with brown, irregular spots on it. It was a little longer than a goose's egg, and about the same thickness. When he brought it home and covered it with a hat, Belcher's little boy was one of the first to look into the hat, and as he did so he said he saw a candle. The second time he looked in he exclaimed, "I've found my hatchet!" — (it had been lost two years) — and immediately ran for it to the spot shown him through the stone, and it was there. The boy was soon beset by neighbors far and near to reveal to them hidden things, and he succeeded marvellously. Even the wanderings of a lost child were traced by him — the distracted parents coming to him three times for directions, and in each case finding signs that the child had been in the places he designated, but at last it was found starved to death. Joe Smith . . . bought the stone of Belcher and then began his operations in directing where hidden treasures could be found. His first diggings were near Capt. Buck's saw-mill, at Red Rock; but, because his followers broke the rule of silence, "the enchantment removed the deposits."

Posted by: backyardprofessor ( )
Date: August 06, 2015 11:39PM

Anecdotal evidence such as these kinds of story tellings used to really turn me on as an apologist. Since reading Richard Carrier I have come to see them for what they are evidenceless propositions that have an astonishing low probability of being factual, real, or true. And notice there is always such a way that none of the stories can be verified, there is no evidence, etc. Ah fun testimony times. Reality? Not even close.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 03:24PM

..."and it came to pass".......that is...a large colored stone from Brother Smith's bowels. The stone-like appearance was different, however, from the ones seen by the local Physicians in the area. It had a strange, iridescent appearance, like it was possessed with energy of some sort. After the painful passing of the stone, it was placed into Church custody, awaiting analysis by the Quorum. After a period of time had passed (stench), Brother Smith found, that after dark and twilight had set in, that the so-called stone would actually glow, and project strange light and images into the evening. It was after that, that the stone was found to be somewhat inspirational and predictive in the questioning and inquiries presented to the stone, by Brother Smith."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 03:49PM

Joe's seer stone is a coprolite.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 03:55PM

...is that why it has such strange, magical, and fecal powers?....

Date: November 18, 2018 05:22PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joe's seer stone is a coprolite.

or human ambergris.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.