Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 27, 2018 06:27PM

Many of you remember our adoption of Georgy about a year ago. He was some kind of Husky mix, bright, friendly, a well-mannered gentleman. He was even good with the cats.

He has had hideous breath for a few weeks. I thought it was just "dog breath." Then a few days ago, he sprouted what looked like a half of a tennis ball on one side of his face, and half of a golf ball on the other side. His face was grotesquely contorted.

Our neighbor the vet said that she didn't even need to look in his mouth to diagnose the problem: at least two abscessed teeth, one on each side of his jaw.

She spent a couple hours with us (thank goodness she is a friend and a neighbor) explaining that fixing his dental problems could take hundreds of dollars; lab work just to see if he could tolerate sedation would cost up to a hundred dollars. Plus, he had arthritis in one leg that was only getting worse.

What it amounted to was that, give or take a thousand bucks or so, we might get another four or five years out of him. Or not.

So we agreed that when our neighbor got home from work yesterday, she would come over and put him down. It was a horribly bleak day. Georgy was still very full of life, greeting the vet at the door with over-the-top joy as he always did. And yet, earlier in the day, his teeth were causing him so much pain that he had difficulty getting through a "greenie" breath stick or a Milk Bone.

She had said that it was less traumatic on the animals in general if they were put down at home rather than at the clinic, and since she is right next door, it was no problem for her.

My poor, sweet, sensitive DH is a wreck. I think grief is coming down on him like a ton of bricks. I was fond of George, but never as invested in him as I am and have been with my cats, whom I have raised from kittenhood.

We have decent income for retired folks, but were not prepared to spend the kind of money that our vet was telling us about. She also pointed out that we could get the same work done at the Animal Humane Clinic for about 2/3 the cost, but still - on a fixed income, that's a lot. And we have our own medical issues to consider. (Despite having good insurance.)

Georgy's final year with us was a good one. He had lots of love and cuddles and he enjoyed curling up with the cats (who initially had no use for him, but eventually accepted him.) I think we gave him an extra year of life. He was wandering on the street, apparently escaped or abandoned, last December. My DH picked him up and took him to the shelter.

Then he got worried that George would not be adopted, at his age (about 10 or so), so George came to our house. And now, there is a George-shaped emptiness, because we don't have the odd thousand or two dollars that we would need to keep him going. It hurts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 27, 2018 06:31PM

I"m sorry.It is a great loss.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: November 27, 2018 06:40PM

That is so sad!!!!
I adopted an older beagle that is just a total sweetheart. I knew going in that she could cost $$$, and so far I’m probably $2000 in with all her medical expenses. But luckily I can afford it and I wouldn’t trade her for anything.

I see ads occasionally for “pet health insurance”. It doesn’t seem too expensive, and I’m wondering if it’s a good investment.
Maybe next time you could look into something like that?

So sorry to hear about your dog... I dread the day I have to make that awful decision. 8’-(

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 27, 2018 06:43PM

I'm so sorry, catnip.

Your words here are worth hanging onto in the midst of your loss:

"Georgy's final year with us was a good one. He had lots of love and cuddles and he enjoyed curling up with the cats (who initially had no use for him, but eventually accepted him.) I think we gave him an extra year of life."

Georgy got lucky the day you and your husband made room for him at your place. You gave him a wonderful year. Then you made a decision to stop his suffering in the only way open to you. Even though it causes you and your husband pain.

But Georgy isn't hurting today. He would give you an extra kiss for that.

Thanks for sharing him with us.

Remember those immortal words: "It's a far, far greater thing I do..."

You did the greater thing - took away Georgy's pain. Even though it hurts you. That's love.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 27, 2018 06:50PM

I'm sorry, Catnip. I think most pet owners have financial limits as to what they can do. It sounds like you gave "old man" Georgy a lovely last year.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 27, 2018 07:08PM

I am so sorry, Catnip.
Financial considerations are very real when it comes to animals. If it weren't for the generosity of a family member, I would not have a furbaby today. It's because of their generosity, she is still with me.

It's hard when the decision comes down to $$$$$$

May Georgy find fun at the Bridge

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 27, 2018 07:12PM

All of our cats (ten in all) were rescue kitties--two of them from public areas (Sekhmet, from outside the laundromat in American Fork, Utah, where she, a tiny and relatively newborn kitten, had been abandoned...and Ari, starving on a sidewalk in Studio City). Our other eight cats came from "others," in one way or another, but all were rescues.

It hurts so much to lose them, and I now realize that some of them we kept too long because we just didn't want to lose them, and we kept them past the time when we should have let them go with love.

My feelings are with you, catnip--and the tears in my eyes are for you, and your DH, and Georgy. I am glad he is no longer in pain.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 27, 2018 07:28PM

You made the best and right choice under the circumstances you could have. All things considered, Georgy had the best home possible with your family he could have had in his last year of life. You became his "forever home." You gave him love that he returned back unconditionally.

May your memories be happy ones as you mourn his loss.

I also don't understand why vet bills are so astronomical that people have to choose - because of cost.

Someone mentioned pet insurance. It's more expensive than it's remunerative - it can be a waste of money. The money you spend on pet health insurance might be better spent in a savings account instead for pet emergencies, if you're in a position to do that.

When living on a fixed income, that wouldn't be an option.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: November 27, 2018 07:41PM

I'm sorry. Been there.

You did the best you could. Somewhere Georgy thanks you.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 27, 2018 08:07PM

Gregory is at peace and out of pain. I'm sure he appreciates all you've done for him.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 27, 2018 08:13PM

I am so sorry to hear this. One of the hardest things ever :(

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: November 27, 2018 08:29PM

Am sooo sorry...can totally identify...just recently lost the sweetest rescue mutt of our lives so far.

The holes in our hearts are still healing...& will be for a long time on this little girl.

We share your grief and loss...

BTDTEM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.