Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 26, 2018 01:22PM

On another thread I noticed accusations and complaints about non-mormons who don't happen to favor hiring mormons.

What about the reverse?

Are there stories of mormons who hire primarily only other mormons even if they're less qualified than non mormon applicants? Do any of these bosses tend to favor and promote mormons over others?

Has anyone had a job where they were afraid to admit that they had left the church?

Has anyone been forced to listen to mormons preach about their church in the break room or at their desk or cubicle?

Has anyone been passed over for promotion because of being an exmo or nevermo?

When I was a teacher, there was one school out of 30 that was 80% mormon. The principal was a bishop who favored other mormons. Over the years he slowly replaced leaving teachers and other employees with mormons from his ward or stake. Those teachers also received the best assignments and support for their efforts.

My good friend was not a mormon but she somehow remained there for many years staying to herself and doing excellent work. She was finally squeezed out by mormons in her grade level and had to finish her career by transferring to a different school. It doesn't sound so bad but uproars and changes like this can be quite stressful to teachers like my friend.

I think it isn't as much of problem when non-mormons don't happen to hire mormons as when mormons favor their own in the work place.

If either of these situations have happened to posters, I'd like to hear about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2018 01:34PM by Cheryl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: November 26, 2018 01:46PM

Well a Mormon has got to Mormon.

Seriously though that is such dishonest behavior.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: November 26, 2018 01:48PM

Well the biggest contradiction I can think of is how the church runs their own employment services here is Utah. To work for the COB members have to be in good standing, pay tithing, be temple worthy, I've heard they even do a stop and frisk to search for banned substances and to see if their employees have recommends. They promote only those who are the biggest molly's of them all (smart but not acting smart) or differential beta males who are extremely groveling to older men (but to each other they are willing to climb on top of whoever is in the way).

But now of course every GC talk is about "lets be nice, and not discriminate," "God hates prejudice people" "Lets get rid of all the discrimination against LGBTQ people in the work place and in business, in housing", even though they are the biggest discriminators in the State and try to stop LGBTQ in every legal way they can think of. And have for generations, but none of us are suppose to see that, of course.

The contradictions really are astounding.

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: November 26, 2018 01:56PM

I hope I am misunderstanding Cheryl's last point. As far as I am concerned, discrimination is discrimination, whoever is being discriminated against and whoever is doing the discrimination.

Date: November 26, 2018 02:42PM

in their hiring and on the job behaviors.

Your point? It's valid but not exactly the same thing.

I'm not queen or king of the earth. I can't force the hiring and on the job behaviors to be fair and totally unbiased. That's the job of society at large, the courts, and those who do the hiring and firing.

I'm just a retired teacher lady who posts my humble musings on RfM.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 26, 2018 02:22PM

Can I comment on this later? OmG!

Oughhhghhh

Date: November 27, 2018 03:36PM

it isn't illegal for mormon organizations to require every employee must be mormon, pay tithes, and have a TR?

There's something fishy here.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: November 27, 2018 04:09PM

I don't think it is illegal

"Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 generally prohibits any sort of employment discrimination based on sex, race, national origin, or religion. However, there is a notable exception to the rule: religious organizations are allowed to discriminate on the basis of their religion."

I take this to mean they can refuse to hire anyone NOT of their religion.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 27, 2018 04:35PM

That is exactly what it means. Religious organizations can specify religious rules for employment based on their First Amendment rights of free exercise of religion. That right does not extend to organizations that are not recognized religions, even if the owners all belong to a particular religion.

I would imagine that there are family and certain types of privately held businesses that are not subject to the anti-discrimination provisions of Title VII, but I don't know the specifics, and am not up for plowing through the internet to find them.

Date: November 27, 2018 04:36PM

Mormons can discriminate and complain mightily if others do it to a much lesser degree.

Date: November 27, 2018 04:40PM

Cheryl in the OP is making a textbook case of "whataboutism".

Yes, Mormons do that, and arguably moreso than non-Mormons. That also is bigotry, is unethical, poor business practice, and in most cases illegal. It doesn't matter which side is doing it.

As op47 correctly pointed out, discrimination is discrimination. "They do it too" is no justification.

ETA: as I mentioned in the other thread, I was hired by several very Mormon companies in Utah even though they were aware I was an exMo. I know such hiring discrimination happens, but it is hardly universal. As far as I can tell, it never happened to me. I did once volunteer to be laid off, and the manager took me up on it. I worked for the same manager at three other companies over the years, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't personal. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2018 04:46PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 27, 2018 04:53PM

As someone who hires, I have the right to NOT hire someone who is not qualified for the job.

Sometimes, "qualifications" include people skills, being able to work in a group situation, being trustworthy and approachable enough to go into people's homes, if necessary, good hygiene and appearance, honesty, and loyalty to the company. Depending on which job they are being hired for, these attributes can be as important as the on-paper skill and education requirements. What I'm telling you, as I am never arbitrary, when I hire someone.

I agree with the Mormon on this: why would a church (or cult) hire someone who is not part of that cult? Would any cult or business want to hire someone who didn't believe in the business in the first place? Such a square-peg-in-a-round hole would slow things down, often disagree with the group they are working with, probably not connect well with the cult-member clients, create tension in the office, demand more consideration than the office would want to give them, would be unhappy and more likely to quit, and probably end up being more of a liability than an asset.

The most "fair and impartial" way to hire someone would be to go by their resume alone, and not have any "judgmental" interview at all. Questions would not be allowed. Without the interview, the selection could be blind to race, age, appearance, sex, manners, disposition, mental illness, etc.

Better yet, how about a completely impartial drawing of names out of a hat. That's the most impartial method of all.

Date: November 27, 2018 05:02PM

Interviews and people skills need to count in hiring and promotions.

Is it more fair to flip a coin? No, but it is more random.

Date: November 27, 2018 05:15PM

And where has anybody said there are situations where you must hire someone who is not qualified for the job? This is a straw man argument. Nobody said that.

In fact, in the other thread, I pointed out that I was being pressured by my supervisor to hire a woman who had applied for a position, when she was clearly not the best qualified. The EEOC officer said not only did I not have to hire her, but that she (the EEOC officer) would not sign off on the hire unless I could come up with a very good justification why she should be hired in spite of not meeting the job requirements.

Date: November 28, 2018 09:12AM

You were very helpful.

I didn't mean to somehow attract the lecturing on to you.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 27, 2018 05:37PM

...seems to be commonplace with many religions, fraternal orgs, lodges, clubs, etc. Keep it in the family...or at least they try to.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 01:26AM

They are Fools that will go OUT OF THEIR WAY to be in others'.
Give money and hip lip balm to the rich and scoff at the poor.

Favoritism... Prejudice... Preferences... Delusions...

They will cheat others to help their own
I was never their own. I am now my own!

Mormons didn't hire me because I wasn't [real] (good enough) [active (enough)] LDS. I left them.
That's right! Adios- Qualification: be one of us. My Qualification to them: LDS lies! GET OUT

It stinks.

M@t

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 02:56PM

Mormons tend to "help each other."

A member of one ward was the manager at a rent controlled property. He would discreetly forewarn the bishop when a vacancy was forthcoming... Nothing like rent limited to 10% of your income to realize the benefits of paying tithing... Before long the neighbourhood becomes "Mormon Heights."

Other stakes would see leaders clustered into professions - especially those that allow Sundays off. We had stakes with an overabundance of real estate agents, insurance agents, investment counselors, chiropractors, etc. They still had to work to succeed, but they knew who they needed to know to start out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.