Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The lady we all know ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 07:33PM

Do they believe demons can make them do things they otherwise would not do? Do they use demon possession as an excuse to hurt people and maintain their social status/self-esteem?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 07:54PM

The lady we all know Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do they believe demons can make them do things
> they otherwise would not do? Do they use demon
> possession as an excuse to hurt people and
> maintain their social status/self-esteem?

No, that is not in the belief system of LDS theology. They believe demons and such can "tempt", but never cross the boundary of free agency.

I have never heard what you are describing coming from Mormon communities.

And what you have previously posted, is more about the break-off factions of fundamentals who still actively practice polygamy.

That is NOT mainstream mormonism.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 07:56PM

Many mormons probably do believe in demon possess, but many do not.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 08:00PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Many mormons probably do believe in demon possess,
> but many do not.

Cheryl are you talking mainstream TBMs, or fundamental polygamous Mormons??

When I lived in UT County, I didn't sense that belief in demon possession amongst everyday Mormons was common?

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 08:07PM

Mormon's generally don't think much about it. I've heard it expressed that possessions went dramatically down after Christianity swept Europe. Before Constantine the Romans were doing magic sacrifices to strange Gods in temples, and conjuring up weird stuff. And hence it was more common. But as soon as the cross went up everywhere, these things diminished.

But I had friends from Vietnam who said it was very common in South East Asia and Vietnam. They would get into a trance in the morning hours and would have slurred speech. Quite often they resorted to visiting a witch doctor to get rid of it (He later he immigrated to America).

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 08:14PM

Some do, some don't. I didn't.

I had this in the 70s.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/HZ0AAOSwp~9be2A8/s-l1600.jpg

Posted by: antsclimbingtrees ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 08:17PM

The TBMs in my family pretty firmly believe in demons, that they can influence and, as Angela said, tempt, people, and some of my relatives are quite superstitious about this, but they do not, as far as I know, believe in actual "posession." Just that unseen evi;l influences try to lure people into "un-godly" behaivior.

My mother once told be the reason she didn't finish at BYU was that "Satan didn't want me to love myself."

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 08:48PM

Only those outside tscc; inside, it's 'leaders', and tscc as a whole, DEMONstrate they aren't sure who they are.

M@t

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 09:25PM

Joseph Smith (allegedly) cast out a demon:
https://www.lds.org/new-era/1986/07/the-knights-and-the-trial-of-joseph-smith?lang=eng
"One day after a gospel discussion in Colesville with Joseph Smith, Newel Knight retired to the woods to pray. Newel found himself overtaken by an evil spirit that seemed to almost take control of his body. Distorted and distraught, Newel returned to his home and sent for Joseph. The Prophet came immediately and cast out the evil spirit, using the power of the priesthood."

Early missionaries claimed to have done the same:
https://ldsmag.com/a-satanic-attack-on-the-first-missionaries-in-preston-england/

Finally, it is scriptural:
D&C 35:9 "And whoso shall ask it in my name in faith, they shall cast out devils; they shall heal the sick..."
D&C 24:13 "Require not miracles, except I shall command you,except casting out devils, healing the sick, and against poisonous serpents, and against deadly poisons"
D&C 84:67 "In my name they shall cast out devils"

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: November 30, 2018 02:34PM

My family did growing up. But, my mother said you could only be possessed if you had allowed the demon to enter by sinning.

I think it is some do, and some don't. My family was definitely on the do side.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: November 30, 2018 02:42PM

I think most believe in the "potential" of demonic possession, but haven't seen it so they don't think about it. And then you have those that say they've seen it for sure.

I've known both types.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.