Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 12:06PM

With a little work, many can be converted into houses.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 03:16PM

Raze the building
Level the ground
Build something new

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 04:20PM

It seems like the ones converted to lofts are bring in some good rent due to the architectural novelty. I think some people would like living in a converted church more than a modern building. Enough to pay a little extra.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 04:22PM

Elvis Presley's mansion in Memphis used to be a church and got repurposed.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 04:57PM

No it wasn't. The mansion was built by a wealthy cattle rancher. The mistress of the house used to allow the local church to use some of their acreage for church functions and picnics. Never the inside of the home.

Posted by: Katie MB ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 04:28PM

Could make 3 or 4 good size apartments in a ward building (maybe more) and keep the gym for recreation. The Relief Society room could become the laundry room.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 10:18PM

...well, you could turn the abandoned or derelict LDS Churches into homeless shelters, and probably still maintain the tax-exempt status as a charitable 501(c)(3). Then, have the homeless tenants pay a very modest fee; (10%) of their daily panhandling take. Actually, the Church would probably take in more money this way.....

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 04:17AM

A relative of mine bought an old church building in rural Utah, and lived there with his 10 children. I remember it was always very cold and dimly-lit in there. That family never had enough money to live, and I'm not sure how they afforded the church, or maybe he was the care-taker for the property. They took a lot from welfare. The mother loved the big kitchen. The kids enjoyed the basketball court. There were plenty of bathroom stalls, but we didn't dare ask if they used the baptismal font as a bathtub.

The daughters all learned to play the pipe organ. They also had a piano. When the roof needed major repairs, they left the building, and moved to Missouri. (True story) Maybe they never really owned it in the first place. It ended up being torn down.

I agree that they should be torn down.

Get rid of all the asphalt, plant trees and shrubs, and turn them into dog parks.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 30, 2018 12:40AM

The Diamond City Branch (never a ward), just north of Lethbridge closed and the cult sold the building to an evangelical/anabaptist congregation.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: November 30, 2018 07:03PM

If you are going to buy a church make sure it is a Catholic or mormon building. Protestants are too cheap with their building materials. If you are going to buy a protestant building hopefully it was one built over a century ago.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: November 30, 2018 08:53PM

A few decades back an LDS Chapel around 9th S and before the Freeway was used as a photo studio for a Playboy Photographer.

Much more honest than when it was used as a chapel.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 30, 2018 09:13PM

...hey! They could all be turned into "Lazer Tag Centers!" Yeah!......that would be great!!............oh....Lazer Tag is as outdated as the Church building itself.....sorry. Maybe Bass Pro Shops, Asian nail spas, opera houses, or indoor food courts (Hot Dog on a Stick, We Buy Gold, cell phone kiosks). Hey, we gotta' do something to prevent abandonment and blight in our communities!

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 07:57AM

This article gives very few examples of actual repurposed church buildings. And yet they are a dime a dozen. The writers should just have googled for it and they would have found hundreds of beautiful examples to follow from Europe and Latin America.

I myself have seen churches, from big cathedral-like buildings down to small village chapels, being turned into B&Bs, restaurants, bookshops, discotheques, swimming pools, gay saunas, sports clubs, bus shelters, flower shops, government offices, tourist offices, law offices, housing, public toilets and indoor parking for bicycles. The possibilities are endless.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 03:11PM

There's one just round the corner from my workplace that has been transformed into luxury condos. I've also seen one in NYC repurposed as a music venue or club or something like that.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 09:35PM

In my travels I saw a mormon church that was turned into a mental health counseling center.

Class rooms were offices. The gymn was for activities and the chapel was gutted of the benches and organ and used as axmeeting hall.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.