Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Throughgood ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 12:41PM

Hi,

I am doing research for a novel. One of my characters is a Chilean foreign exchange student who is converted by his LDS family in California.

I've had almost no contact with the LDS community. Can you help me with the type of language that would be used to convert someone completely outside the community?

Much appreciated.

Rachel

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Throughgood ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 12:45PM

Also, if he was Catholic, would he still need to baptized into LDS?

Thanks again!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 11:52PM

I can't help you with your story
That, you will have to write yourself

Think of a kid whose life is ruined
Because of his overzealous LDS "parents"

Go from there
You'll do fine

Mormons baptize you for [supposedly] SINNING, like belonging to "other" churches, ot thinking for yourself, or saying fart.
I got out of Mormonism and was baptised Christian, to "wash off" [the scourge of] Mormonism [the BIGGEST sin of all].

It's a cult - EASY to get in, HARD to get out - or a [spiritual, moral, physical] prison. What more do you need to know? Mormons can ruin any child they can get their hands on.
It is important you speak of the importance they get their hands on NONE. Because that child might go mad from the trap (that is mormonism) and forget how to be happy.

There is no real charge for my input.
There is no credit either, so pay up!

M@t

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 12:52PM

English annd yes, neither church accepts the other's baptism.And further foreign students are encouaged to go to the family's church....along with the host family making 1300 a month for hosting.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 01:02PM

They'd start by bringing him to their church, asserting loudly that there'd be no pressure, and he could just come to be "part of the family."
But of course there would be pressure, and everyone would love-bomb him, and tell him how glad they were he was there (and it would all be rehearsed and fake).

And he'd be so overwhelmed by their fake love and welcome that he'd "feel the spirit." And "feel the spirit" when his mormon host family would have family home evening. And "feel the spirit" when they'd bear their testimonies to him. And when the missionaries would just happen to "drop by," and start teaching him. And then challenge him to be baptized, which he'd accept, without knowing really anything about the church, 'cause how could such nice people be in a cult?

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 01:18PM

You make it sound so insidious...because it is.

Your scenario is exactly how I've seen it play out...as best as I could see from my weekly observations at sacrament meetings with my wife. There was a family in my wife's last ward who had taken in a foreign exchange student. The student was with the family every Sunday, and frequently attended the investigators' class with the parents. He was greeted with open arms and you could tell that some of the lessons were slanted towards him as much as they could be within the Gospel Principles guidelines. All I could think was, "You poor, poor lad. I hope you have the sense to recognize what a sham this all is."

I didn't see how it ended for the foreign exchange student because my wife was already becoming inactive and we were attending church with less frequency. The ignorance of church happenings was blissful. Unfortunately, I missed out on some of the drama that played out like a weekly soap opera.

Date: December 03, 2018 01:54PM

I watched the same drama play out first-hand, when my family hosted two Japanese exchange students.

The thing was, their English was atrocious. I tried to learn enough Japanese to help translate, but I only got to be a tiny bit of help. They kept remarking how everyone at church was "so nice, and so welcoming." But they didn't really understand any of it. I've often thought that if they spoke better English, they might have given in and joined. I'm so glad they didn't!

Date: December 03, 2018 11:59PM

They probably understood body english.

:)

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 04:23PM

If you try to come up with other peoples ideas about what language to use, what the situation was like, it will come off as phony.

If you really want to do this find some students who have lived with mormon families and interview them and find out what the experience was like. I think you will find lots of different experiences. In my highschool I was good friends with two students who stayed with mormon families, one family tried to convert the student and he switched to non-member family. The other family was very open and loving and friendly to the student and never tried to make him follow mormonism in anyway. He is still great friendsd with the kids from the family 40 years later, he and I have remained friends and I got to visit with him recently. The kids he stayed with and myself now have nothing to do with the Church.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 04:37PM

I was under the impression that that sort of thing was expressly forbidden by the rules and bylaws of the exchange student agencies. Am I mistaken?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 04:40PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 04:42PM

They commonly try to force exchange students into mormonism.

Date: December 03, 2018 05:52PM

Exactly. slskipper, I'll bet you probably already know that many mormons think the rules don't apply to them...

Date: December 04, 2018 12:32AM

Ah, Here is the rub. Mormons normally only take the free 2 Month summer exchange student. Regardless of how hard everyone tries, Its not something they allow.
They just dont have room in their houses To do a full year. Because of this, Their conversion rate is non existent.

Now the longer term paid family know the students family and can know the student for a long time.That is why the exchange students are going for a nonboarding religious school k-12. I think if they did a full court press they would have a priest or 2 jammed in their face.

Date: December 04, 2018 12:17AM

Prohibited?No, going to church in America is part of the culture and when you are a paid host, It is teaching them about culture. Take China. You may never have seen a church.
However, The free exchange students are different but when I housed them, They also wanted to take a look at it.

However, The patd exchange rate is 1300. You can have 2 per bedroom. They have to be provided with a desk and dresser each. They get their own breakfast, Take the bus or you drive, pack them lunch and make dinner. Snacks are on them. If they feel forced or anything,they can change home. Any problem and the organizer takes care of them.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 06:31PM

Binge watch the HBO series Big Love.

Watch some youtube vids of opening mission callings.

Between the two, you should pick up some of the culture.

Make many references to green jello, children named after Book of Mormon characters, starchy foods (that means funeral potatoes), and the awkward situations of moving into a family requiring personal priesthood worthiness interviews complete with extensive interrogation regarding masterbation.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 06:41PM

Yeah. These are some great details to add veracity.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 06:39PM

True blue Mormons would feel that the exchange student being there is not by chance but has been arranged by the Holy Ghost at the behest of Heavenly Father himself. They would therefore make every effort to make their Heavenly Father proud as well as be the envy of all the ward members and do their best to convert the exchange student. The student is probably open to all new experiences and may be an easy target.

What others have said above is true. They would make a point to show that they are not trying to convert as they "love" them and "fun" them into the fold.

There is a Mormon way of doing this which is called "Milk before meat," and this is the method that will be employed. The family will show all the appealing parts of Mormonism (the milk) and none of the "heavy dirt" (meat) will be anywhere in sight. The student is likely to see this as an ideal way of life having no idea they aren't getting the whole picture. The Mormon facade can be very enticing.

If you want to successfully write this scenario there is a lot to know about Mormonism and Mormon family dynamic. Of value would be a good beta reader who is familiar with that particular church.

Posted by: 2 late 2 log in ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 12:40AM

Older thread about a mormon host family trying to convert a foreign exchange student from the UK in flagrant violation of the rules:

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1828532

Date: December 05, 2018 05:42AM

They will take them in
Before they take them out

But not if they are their own
And not if they are "others'"

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.