Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Leet ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 10:05AM

I struggle on a good day, even in the summer, but I thought I was finally getting better since April. I was getting sunlight, eating really healthy, and managing my mental health.

But as soon as Thanksgiving was over, everything crashed. I don’t like this season anyway because I’ve had THREE family members die in really tragic ways over the years (grandma from depression, aunt from overdose, and uncle from liver failure) and it just makes me sad.

But over the past few weeks, I’ve been sleeping so long, binge eating, gaining weight, and feeling suicidal.

I’ve tried service projects, meditation, cooking my favorite food, but nothing helps.

I just hate winter in Salt Lake so much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 10:12AM

Get yourself into the doctor immediately!

You're describing not only severe depression, but also Seasonal Affective Disorder, which affects at least 20 million Americans during the winter months, especially in the northern climate zone.

There are medications readily available to help you feel better. Welbutrin is the most common to treat S.A.D. Talk to your doctor to see what he/she recommends. It's typically taken from October to March of each year to treat SAD.

Also up your Vitamin D intake. 2,000 IU is recommended dosage during the winter months, according to my doctor to help with chronic fatigue due to shorter daylight and less sunshine.

Try using daylight light bulbs in your home. That helps lighten up the interiors as well that is more natural in effect than other lightbulbs. There are light therapies as well if you look into those.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 10:40AM

1. Get help. Suicidal ideation should never be taken lightly.

...Let me add ZINC (40MG) to Amy's list. The research coming out is that it is superior to SSRI's and to placebo.

When the sun is out, be sure to get some.

HH =)

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 12:53PM

If you are taking zinc, you should also take copper, roughly 2 mg copper for each 15 mg zinc. Otherwise you may cause an imbalance.

Date: December 04, 2018 12:59PM

I take Centrum since it balances them already so I don't need to.

Although Vitamin D I add more to go with a calcium supplement.

Posted by: Leet ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 10:12AM

*MY depression

Sorry for the pirate talk lmao

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 10:17AM

Yes Salt Lake sucks in winter (unless your a skier and can afford Alta, I guess) But you could do what I do and go to the gym most days. It's only $10 a month at planet fitness, and $10 at Vasa, $20 at Golds Gym. That's really a bargain :>)

Date: December 04, 2018 10:35AM

That really is a bargain! Do you need a contract to join?

Date: December 04, 2018 10:46AM

I've been feeling kinda loopy recently, then started getting a lower backache that has had me really out of it.

After seeing the doctor yesterday I learned it's from a kidney infection! Easy enough to treat, after getting me on an antibiotic.

As HH says, take the depression very seriously. See a doctor ASAP. Find a therapist to talk to. Do something proactive, and be patient with your illness. Depression takes time to heal, but it does get better. Pamper yourself. Get enough rest, hydration. Do things that bring you joy. Let someone know you love them today. Smile more. Little things like that help to lighten your mood.

:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2018 10:47AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 11:56AM

Please see a doctor ASAP. I am a suicide survivor. Please listen. They REALLY CAN help. I know it feels like no-one can help, but they can. Please get to a doctor. Also, at the top of the main list is the number for the suicide prevention hotline. Call them.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 12:37PM

Yes, call the suicide hotline!
Make an appointment with your doctor.
Buy a light box!

A light box really works! Get a real one, specifically designed for SAD light therapy, and 10,000 lumens or more. Be sure to stay close enough to the box, and follow the directions. Use it as soon as possible, right after waking up. I depend on it, during winters in SLC.

My SAD was getting worse, because I tend to stay up too late at night, and sleep in, so I would miss too much of the natural morning light. The light box helped me reset my circadian rhythm, and wake up earlier. It was a win-win.

I actually look forward to spending 30 minutes with the light box, like, I crave that light! It's uplifting to open up my windows (briefly if it's too cold) and air out my room, turn on my light box, sip a cup of decaf coffee, and go online for the to check my e-mail, etc. I do this before breakfast. It's sort of my secret weapon, to start my day.

Do NOT turn on the news, or read the newspaper in the morning! I had the best business mentor, when I was starting out, and he advised us to avoid the news, first thing in the morning. He said it was also not helpful close to bedtime, either. I followed his advice, and no matter if I had a cold or other problems, my mornings were very productive and happy.

Baby yourself, and give yourself some "relief" from thinking all those sad, worrisome thoughts.

One of many reasons you should see a doctor, is that there might be some physical cause, such as a low-grade infection, or a vitamin deficiency. You have to ASK FOR a specific blood test for vitamin deficiencies. Most are covered by insurance. I was deficient in Vitamin D, and my doctor said that most Americans are.

A good reason to see a psychiatrist or psychologist, is that you might not have "depression" at all. I had diagnosed myself with depression, and with my general doctor's help, tried various antidepressants. Prosac gave me the jitters and insomnia--it was horrible. Caffeine sends me through the roof. Imapramine helped a little, for a short while. When I finally had enough money to see a good psychiatrist (MD), he diagnosed me with which is different from depression. My worst problem was anxiety, and instead of antidepressants, I used a tranquilizer, and only during acute episodes. Cognitive behavioral therapy and stopping the abuse in my life, has me 90% cured, except for occasional flashbacks.

You are an individual, and your cure will be individual. Advice is very helpful, but sometimes you need PROFESSIONAL help.

You WILL get over this! The sun is out today. I am outside more in the winter than in the summer--even when it's snowing. I can't tolerate below 28 degrees, though. Get a light box--today!

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 12:42PM

Sorry I left that out. You need a professional diagnosis!

Good luck. Return and report.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 12:48AM

Jarrow brand 5HTP is helpful in providing extra natural serotonin. Too little serotonin is usually a factor in depression.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 03:29AM

My doctor just changed my medicine yesterday. I have my life issues right now--finding a new job--to deal with. I also have SAD. The best winter I've ever had here was when I walked every day even when it snowed a lot. Get out in the cold, bundle up, and walk. Once I got to 15 minutes of walking, I didn't want to go home. Walking is always a boost.

Right now, I have 2 dogs and one is overweight. I have been walking them daily for over 2 years and they force me to get out there and walk. I fight it everyday, but I can't disappoint them, so I go and I'm always glad I did. It changes my outlook.

And I have dealt with severe depression and suicidality since I was 25 and I'm 61.

One thing I can say, is don't get over-drugged until you are numb. Been there. I couldn't get off the bed because I was on too high of dosages.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 08:38AM

excellent suggestion and thanks for sharing...

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 08:37AM

So sorry to hear!Exercise is best way to beat depression... I know, its hard to start it.

https://www.seattlemag.com/health-beauty-and-fitness/how-beat-winter-blues-tips-seattles-weather-experts

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 10:22AM

Look up Wim Hof. I’m jealous of you guys in snowy climates.

Date: December 05, 2018 10:27AM

Please don't be. I'm freezing my butt off today it's so cold.

Date: December 05, 2018 10:31AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 10:32AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Former member of The Tabernacl ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 09:10AM

e Choir at Temple Square, formerly known as The Mormon Tabernacle Choir

1. Call the suicide hotline
2. See your doctor ASAP, and get set up with a psychologist or a psychiatrist.
3. Order a light box online. I think Bed Bath and Beyond has one in their stores.
4. Get outside and move.

When I can't get going on my daily walk, I promise myself that I don't have to go, but I will at least put on my walking shoes and all my layers of clothes and jackets, anyway, and walk as far as the end of the driveway. If I still don't feel like it, I will go back indoors. This works for me. I've only gone back indoors a few times, when I have a bad cold, or if the weather is too outrageous. Studies prove that exercise is as effective as anti-depressants. Bonus: no side effects! Bonus: you get in shape!

Date: December 05, 2018 10:32AM

I can walk through my house when it's dark outside or too cold for me to get outdoors for a walk. Can walk in place (run in place,) walk through the halls and rooms, circle around and get a mile or two just walking in circles through the house.

Best part is I can walk in my jammies if I want to. I typically don't run. My house isn't that big lol.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 10:49AM

Leet, how are you doing? I'm worried for you.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 10:53AM

I remember those horrible Salt Lake winter temperature inversions and not seeing the sun for a month at a time.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 11:06AM

surely helped us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 11:54AM by mav.

Date: December 05, 2018 11:06AM

I remember when my mom lost heat in her Ogden home one winter. She became depressed over that because between her and her husband they lacked the means to hire a repairman to come and fix it. They were living on SS and a small pension then.

Between them they smoked up a storm. I imagine some of *that* money might've been diverted to the furnace repair if not for the addiction itself (of tobacco,) they were unable to break.

My daughter got on the phone to her grammy and told her, "Grandma, get in a nice hot tub of bathwater and soak for a while. Then when you're out of there and dressed, have a nice cup of hot cocoa, then wrap yourself in blankets." She sounded so cheery telling her grandma that, it made my mom laugh and smile again.

God love em. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 11:08AM by Amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.