Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 10:46AM

If you want special consideration and the "right" to say whatever you choose, don't come to my house. I have a "right" to kick you off my property or limit your speech as I see fit. RfM also has that right.

I don't go barging into private places demanding rights. That makes no sense.

Once, I looked out at my front yard and a man was surveying it. I went out and asked who he was and he refused to tell me. He said he had the freedom to do whatever he wanted to do in a free country. He also said that I must let him and be civil about it because our city had a rule on the books that everyone needs to be civil. He said he'd call the police on me if I objected.

I said good. I wanted the police to investigate his trespassing and refusal to identify himself when he's in my yard. He backed down and said a cell phone company had hired him to let them know specifics about building a tower in my yard. I told him I would not allow that and he needed to leave.

He did leave and the tower went up on someone's else's property.

I don't appreciate anyone taking liberties for granted in my home. You want to come to my house, you need to let me know who you are and ask permission. I have all the rights. Trespassing strangers have none.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 11:28AM

Cheryl, I admire your passion and standing up for your rights. You're absolutely correct. One issue. Do you know what cell towers pay? My aunt has two on her 4 acres. One pays 4K a month and the other 6K. They also paved 1 1/2 miles of her gravel roads for free. And fenced in a few hundred feet that she wanted. Pretty lucrative proposition.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 11:32AM

That makes me feel better about the times I don’t stand up for myself.

Date: December 09, 2018 11:38AM

The deal fell through, and I never learned specifics.

I know of one homeowner who got nothing and didn't give permission for the tower that was constructed.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 12:02PM

You bring up a vital point, Cheryl. Freedom of speech does not mean you can say anything you like at any time. It has a very specific meaning, which is that the federal government (and, by extension, state governments) cannot limit your right to criticize government officials or their actions. That is all. It does not require you, or social media, or Hollywood, or anybody else to provide a platform for anybody to speak their minds if you don't want to. All it means is that the government can't penalize you for criticizing it.

This site can prohibit Mormon apologists. Reddit/atheism can prohibit Christian evangelizing. That is not censorship. That is exercising our rights as citizens.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 02:05PM

When you are dealing with utilities need to know your rights and the rights of the utilities.

The water, power (gas/electric), phone and cable companies have the right to use the utility easement.

In my neighborhood happens to be along the road in the front of the house.

Where M/D lived in New Mexico, the electric, phone and cable easement was 10' each side of the back property line. If the power company ever needs to replace the poles and lines, they have to right to go in a know down walls, landscaping etc. to gain that access.

If the guy looking at potential tower sites, he should of informed you, ahead of time, what was up and had some form of identification from the company and information to contact the company to answer any other questions.

Date: December 09, 2018 02:25PM

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 02:28PM

Yea, but what happens when you want [have] to leave your home?
Does it revert (back) to equal rights? Is there a civility?
Can't this be all our homes? Can't we all live together?

I don't believe that because I have money, and purchase a condo, shack, or 10,000 acres, that I have (that many) more rights that if I were standing, renting, or squatting. I can kick you off my property but what about when I leave my house? What are you going to do? And what about online? Where is equality there (here)? WHO draws the line? How? Why?

I can build walls around myself.
That will keep most out.
But I also must be secure in myself.
In my own body, and mind.
I must also speak my mind.
And go wherever I want.
And do whatever I want.
To be me. To be FREE.

I must also think of Dignity, Truth, Equality, Respect, etc.
Not so much of ME, or WHO I am, or what I'm doing or thinking.
In order to make a way in this world for what/ who comes after me.
And if it comes after me, I'm going to laugh, run, or stand & fight it.
Besides, if it comes "after" me, I'm already 'past'. Tense!

"If It Weren't For Life, We'd All Be Dead"©_'M@t'

M@t

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 11:19PM

I have not the foggiest idea what point you are trying to make. Reminds me of the time I tried to read James Joyce, so maybe you are being too profound for my limited skills, or maybe I need about 3 shots of 80 proof before trying to parse what you wrote..

Date: December 09, 2018 11:51PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... I tried to read James Joyce, so maybe you are being too profound for my limited skills, or maybe I need about 3 shots of 80 proof before trying to parse what you wrote. >

Thank you Brother Of Jerry. You are an extraordinary person for even having that thought - it is a deep compliment coming from a deeper person.

Bartender, in a deep, thick glass, get this friend of mine a few shots of top shelf 80 proof... and tune the bar stereo in to KSER [Reggae, right now].

You see, my friend, the reason we see eye to eye is, we don't go so low we have to get high again to be real; we stay that way; do you feel?

"I'm A 'Righter', Not A Lefter"©_M@t™ - Mix brains, looks [well?lol], skill, curiosity, depth, imagination [and a little formon] and you get what I've got.
I don't know what it is... or how to explain it, or how to get rid of it... if it's possible... or even if I should... or if I should give it to others, if I can.

I was talking about freedom - and equality...
Where we draw the lines. Shoot first, ask questions later?
How we assert [and justify] those "rights", and treat each other.
The point I was trying to make/ made was 'we are one another'.

I'm glad you liked it.

I try to flow but it doesn't always fly.
Sometimes it flies... over peoples' heads.
Sometimes it's so low it flies under the radar.
Sometimes the point is so dull, it's not write.

It's all I've got left is to right.
Mormonism is WRONG! Am I right?

M@t

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 06:20PM

If I’m not a public facility, why do I keep getting pissed on?

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 07:22PM

We had a cable company ask for access/permanent easement to run cable for our neighbor and we said NO. They found another way to do it just fine. No way in HELL was I going to let someone have that kind of permanent access through my tomato bed!

Date: December 09, 2018 07:28PM

We've all worked hard for what we have. We own our houses and bit of land. We do not owe what is ours to companies out there who want to take us over.

Date: December 09, 2018 08:06PM

Exactly

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 08:42PM

And I will be damned if I am going to have people mucking with my tomatoes at their whim! Forever. Nope, no way. I love my tomatoes, they are my favorite food. The best day of the year is when I plant them and the worst is when I pull them :(. People change their cable all the time and that means different people. And gee, everyone before or since was able to put in cable just fine. Same people later built an illegal height fence. Sigh. Had to call the city about that as they were moving and I was not getting in trouble for it.

Date: December 09, 2018 08:58PM

Susan I/S Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... I will be damned... mucking with my tomatoes at their whim! Forever.

OH, it was through the tomatoes?
Well then! I didn't know that.

M@t

Date: December 12, 2018 04:29AM

Spontaneous!
Unpredictable.
In the moment!

I'll always have my rights-
It's about all I have left!

What I mean is I'll be me.
I'll ACT this way or that!

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.