Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: scooter4747 ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 08:32PM

I have a good friend in France, who has followed the directions to resign/remove her name. She never received a response, but has tracked the letter to ensure it was received, and it was. She has resent the same letter two additional times. Does anyone have guidance on what more to do? This process has worked pretty easily for my US friends. Maybe it's because she is French and lives in France? Please advise. Thank so much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 08:46PM

my first reactions:

i should or might be the same process, unless laws there are different. However, I think ChurchCo could things more conveniently!

perhaps ChurchCo uses slow mail to send the 'needed' pprwork back& forth.

Who Knows?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2018 08:57PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 09:02PM

How long ago did she send the first letter? In the US, it typically takes a week to two to get the "Please Come Back" blurb, and anywhere from one to eight more weeks to get the final "we're done with our paperwork" letter. It may take longer overseas.

I'd recommend calling Member Records if it has been more than 8 weeks. From exemormon.org/remove.htm ......

Member Records Division, LDS Church
50 E North Temple Rm 1372
SLC UT 84150-5310

801-240-2053 - Phone
801-240-1565 - Fax
1-800-453-3860 ext 22053 - Toll Free

Toll free number probably won't work outside the US, but I can't imagine the call will be all the long. I had to call them once, and got the issue resolved in just a few minutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2018 09:05PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 09:19PM

ChurchCo doesn't publish the numbers, I have trouble understanding why the stretch this process longer than necessary...

'what does it matter to them'? most aren't paying their dues or putting butts in pews, Right?

Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 09:21PM

1. She was out when they received the letter. The letter was tracked so she has verifiable proof. To repeat, she is already out.

2. I've read elsewhere that the church has a large backlog of resignations to process, and also of the possibility that they are deliberately slowing the acknowledgement & confirmation process through year-end in order to keep their 2018 numbers as high as they can.

3. If she wants, she can also resign by email directly to Member Records in SLC. The address is

msr-confrec@ldschurch.org

Sending it Return Receipt will notify her that they have opened it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 09:51PM

They don't report resignations so they have no particular reason to delay processing resignations. They don't show up in the annual statistical report anyway. This sounds like a faith-promoting exMo rumor.

They do have a valid reason not to delay beyond 8 weeks. The courts will give LDS Inc a "reasonable amount of time" to process the paperwork but if the delays are "unreasonable" in the eyes of the court, they could get whacked upside the head by the court.

Eight weeks is pretty much the standard time window for processing things like product refunds, rebates, and other forms of paper-shuffling. That also seems to be the time window LDS Inc uses.

My own resignation took just over 8 weeks for the paperwork. I called them the day the 8 weeks was up to ask what the delay was. They were very apologetic, and said a lot of people were on vacation in August, and they were a bit behind, but my resignation confirmation was already in the mail. It was in fact already in the mail, and arrived the next day in the Midwest.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 11:41PM

the notice has been given. She should just keep a copy of the delivery tracking/confirmation in her records.

The notification is what is important. It is not something that only becomes valid when "approved" and "acknowledged" by the LSD church. The church has no legal authority in that regard.

Technically, membership is an entirely voluntary association in any case. If a person decides that they are no longer a member, they are no longer a member. The Church has no say in it. The purpose of the notice is (1) a courtesy that the resigning member gives to the Church, so that the Church can adjust its records accordingly; and (2) a demand that the Church not engage in any harassing conduct or contact (e.g. attempts to "reactivate" or threats of excommunication "courts of love", etc.

The purpose of the notice is to give the resigning party a documentary record that can be used AGAINST the Church legally in the event that the Church in the future engages in any kind of contact and behavior that rises to the level of harassment constituting a criminal or civil violation of the resigning party's rights.

A formal confirmation/acknowledgement is nice to get, but it shouldn't be regarded as a condition to the resignation being effective (otherwise, you would be giving the LSD Church the power of approval/rejection). Furthermore, once delivery to the relevant address is confirmed, the Church should not be able to use its own negligence in sending an acknowledgement as a basis for any defense against a future harassment claim.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 09:23PM

Resign by email. There is a link on exmormon.org on the front page.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 10:20PM

I resigned by email. From Alberta Canada.

Posted by: Kerri ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 11:04PM

I did mine by email. Received no response and emailed a few months later and they told me it haf been done when I sent first message. I live in New Zealand. I don't think they have staff to follow it up. ;-)

Posted by: Plodder nli ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 05:51AM

I’m in the UK and resigned by email, it took exactly 60 days to receive confirmation by letter that I was out, this was a few years ago so things might have changed since then

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.