Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 02:43PM

In a thread about Mormon Christmas service, A poster called "Whymormon" asked:

What do they teach in routine Mormon services every Sunday?

I tried--twice--to give that poster a list of popular subjects, taught in sacrament meetings. I used no profanity, no bad words that could possibly be misunderstood as "spam." I shortened my reply.

Yes, it's a horrible feeling to be banned for telling the truth!

I was the victim of too many lies and cover-ups in Mormonism, and I still have to keep silent with my present Mormon family members. I want to leave all this in the PAST, as I move forward. I will be polite, but always honest, and will continue in my fight against Mormonism--especially in their targeting of innocent children--until the day I die--among those who know me.

Like several posters who have quit RFM lately, I am done.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 02:49PM

Please email me a copy of the original post, plus the error message you got.

Our spam/banned word list filters grew over the years because of the many attacks we have had in the past. The fact that you got hit by the filter doesn’t mean that you did anything bad or that the mods are mad at you or trying to censor you. It just means that you got snagged.

I’m in the process of cleaning up the filters, but it’s a bigger job than you’d think. That’s why I’m asking people to email when they get flagged by the filter and it’s not obvious why.

Thanks for your patience,

CZ (mighty but not completely omnipotent admin)

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 03:03PM

Concrete Zipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please email me a copy of the original post, plus
> the error message you got.

oh yeah, we all keep copies of our posts lol

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 02:52PM

Your post is still on that thread, exminion.

Sometimes a post gets removed because it's attached to another post, not your own, that was deleted for violating forum decisions.

Whatever the case, your post is still visible on that thread, unless you are referring to a different one than that.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 03:56PM

I've had a few posts snagged by the spam filters over the years. I didn't take it personally because I knew it was just a bit of software that glitched. It's a little annoying, but not a reason to leave--for me anyway.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 05:59PM

I get that SPAM message a lot when I *Preview* stuff. I hit the back arrow to what I had written, copy it, back arrow my way clear out, go into the thread agin fresh, hit *paste*, and this time stuff goes through just fine.

Try that, unless you mean some other SPAM message.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 06:52PM

Hitting "Post Message" a second time after a message has been sent and received, but before the screen has been updated with the new post, will also generate that "spam" message. The software assumes that the identical message sent twice is an error, which it usually is, or is a spammer repeatedly sending a canned message.

Sometimes the RFM software can be pretty slow in updating the screen with the new message - a noticeable fraction of a minute. You assume the "send" got lost somewhere, and you send again, and you get the "spam" message.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 10:02PM

You'd allow yourself to be chased off of RFM by a computer glitch?

The filter is not perfect. It's not like it's Joseph Smith, you know! ;o))

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 10:41PM

The board could not run if we didn't have them. For one thing, there would be no way to keep spammers out. We would have page after page after page of "Buy this crap from China". It's an automated system. Do you take it personally? No, you don't take a traffic signal changing in front of you like something someone is "doing to you". It's easy. Hit preview, if it sticks whack your post into notepad. Go back to your post and put in the first half. If it sticks, cut that in half till you find it. Hell, even a misspelling can stick (for very good reason lol). The hardest I ever had was a misspelling of discount. And btw, that is not the same as banned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2018 10:41PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 04:53AM

Yes. I did both. I previewed, to shorten my post. Then, I pushed "Post Message" twice.

I just need a vacation, is all. I'm still getting ready, and it is almost 3:00 am. The jet lag will go in my favor, in California. One of the days, we're going to take some things to our friends in Paradise. The rest of the time I'll be in San Francisco, Carmel, Santa Cruz, Stanford, Palo Alto. The weather is never too wintry there to walk along the beach, ride horses in the foothills, go to the Monterey Aquarium, drive on the 17-Mile Drive, enjoy the City, visit with old friends, see my relatives in Atherton. I miss that area! I was born there.

I haven't had a real vacation several years, though much of this will be business--but that's fun, too.

Sorry to be such a dweeb. Merry Christmas.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 05:00AM

exminion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes. I did both. I previewed, to shorten my
> post. Then, I pushed "Post Message" twice.
>
> I just need a vacation, is all. I'm still getting
> ready, and it is almost 3:00 am. The jet lag will
> go in my favor, in California. One of the days,
> we're going to take some things to our friends in
> Paradise. The rest of the time I'll be in San
> Francisco, Carmel, Santa Cruz, Stanford, Palo
> Alto. The weather is never too wintry there to
> walk along the beach, ride horses in the
> foothills, go to the Monterey Aquarium, drive on
> the 17-Mile Drive, enjoy the City, visit with old
> friends, see my relatives in Atherton. I miss that
> area! I was born there.
>
> I haven't had a real vacation several years,
> though much of this will be business--but that's
> fun, too.
>
> Sorry to be such a dweeb. Merry Christmas.

Save travels. Merry Christmas, too. And remember to breathe when things get a bit crazy. :)

Date: December 17, 2018 05:11AM

Oh, I am pea green with envy! I miss The City so much. It was so special being able to look out our front windows at the Golden Gate. Please have a real Russian Piroshki for me. I really must learn to make them. And if you have Greek have some of that wonderful chicken lemon soup for me too. I can't seem to make it correctly to save my life. Can you tell one of the things I miss most is the wonderful food :P ? Oh, and since you will be in the area I really think you need to go to the bakery - this bakery! http://woodsidebakery.com Looks like they relocated to Menlo Park but their stuff is to DIE. We would stop when we went between home and my aunt's house in Santa Clara. And since you will be on vacation, nothing has calories. It's the law!

If you have time, check out the new 49er museum. My son went and was thrilled at what a wonderful job they did. I really want to get down there and see it myself. The win today over the Seahawks was sweet but in this house, we are 49er fans no matter what.

Travel safe and have a great holiday season. Be sure to tell your friends in Paradise there are many of us thinking of them.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 05:24AM

I hear you on the vacation part (one more week for me -- I'm about ready to drop from exhaustion.) It sounds like you will have a very pleasant time. Take care!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 04:29AM

Wintry weather in San Francisco?

I went back to the UK with a sun tan after a week in San Francisco in October a couple of years back!

Date: December 18, 2018 04:33AM

September and October are good months for the City. It is during the summer that you will freeze your ass off. Old saying: The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco :)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 05:13PM

You probably were not spammed at all. There is a list of banned words that just happen, and you have to look at your post and kind of substitute other words, or take possible banned words and replace a letter with an asterisk. I mentioned P@kistan once, and it turned out that it was a banned word. Concrete Zipper may be able to explain why that is. Some are really random.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 07:34PM

Yes, it's a real pain in the neck to spend a good bit of time
polishing a reply only to have it snagged by the RFM spam filter.

Hopefully cleaning out the banned-words list will help things in
the future.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 10:41PM

Susanne/CZ

How about a list of the banned words just like the list of "Glossary and Abbreviations"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2018 10:42PM by tumwater.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.