Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 20, 2018 09:04PM

OMG the inspiration!

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: December 20, 2018 09:21PM

during the next General Conference? This shows that Wendy wears the pants in the Nelson home.

Both Wendy and Shari get to wear the pants in their special relationship.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: December 20, 2018 10:14PM

Next: Women ok to wear (GASP) pants to SM, SS, RS!

NOT OK for women to wear pants to PH!

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 20, 2018 10:30PM

when announcing a common-sense change (that most normal people have been begging for for years) seems inspired.

It's kind of like how nothing is accepted as reality until it's announced repeatedly by most or all of the major corporate "news" outlets. In Mormonism, nothing is accepted as a good thing, until it's officially endorsed by the Prophet and the Brethren.

Next up: Green tea is okay to drink in moderation? (Less than a quart per day). Am I being too unrealistic?

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 20, 2018 11:59PM

Nelson is working hard to update everything and bring the church into the 1970's.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 21, 2018 12:10AM

I'm gambling that the special sisters called to Temple Square will be strongly encouraged to continue wearing skirts/dresses.

Posted by: 23 eagle 76 ( )
Date: December 21, 2018 01:10AM

Isn’t it amazing how the inspired brethren just relizied that the sister missionaries might be warmer wearing pants when it’s cold and that pants might offer some protection against bug bites! Damn so glad we have such spiritual giants among us

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: December 21, 2018 01:32AM

How many of the sister missionaries can afford to buy pants with their modest stipend?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 21, 2018 01:37AM

From the article:

In missions where sister missionaries were not previously approved to wear dress slacks, the mission provides funds for young sister missionaries who entered a missionary training center before March 1, 2019, to purchase three to four pairs of dress slacks (or long skirts, as explained above).

Posted by: munchybotazv2 ( )
Date: December 21, 2018 05:20AM

when girls finally got to wear pants to school … FORTY-EIGHT YEARS AGO, 1970.

P.S. We're not weird!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 21, 2018 08:48AM

Oh man. You're lucky and went to a progressive school. We weren't allowed to wear pants to school until 1971. The worst thing was that I was in high school in the late 60s/early 70s mini skirt days. So forced to wear skirts, I had to adhere to church rules and mine were supposed to touch the floor when I knelt down. Oh, the humiliation at school.

But I finally learned that my mother wanted me to learn to sew so badly that she'd buy me all the fabric I wanted and got me private lessons. That new wonderful fabric, polyester double knit, was all the rage. So I could make a knit skirt with elastic waistband that I could roll up as soon as I left Seminary and all was good, although I had to make deals with my brother not to tell my parents if he'd see me at school in a short skirt.

However, I remember well the last beating I got from my father. I came home from school on a day that my parents shouldn't have been home yet and didn't notice my father's car. I walked in the door in my short skirt and caught his eye and knew I was a dead man. Years later we were talking about the beatings we used to get from my father and I asked him if he remembered that. He didn't--too many to remember, but I recalled it for him and told him that it did the trick. I for sure learned a lesson. I NEVER forgot to unroll my skirt before I got home again.

Stupid cult. Priorities are at what temperature you drink your caffeine and whether women have a seam between their legs. Thank gawd for Russ and his amazing ::cough:: inspiration ::cough::.

Posted by: munchybotazv2 ( )
Date: December 21, 2018 02:01PM

I'm not completely sure; it just seems more like 1970. It had to be a "pantsuit," where the pants matched the top, and I got two of them--both polyester doubleknit. I only remember one, specifically: denim blue, with a hip-length short-sleeved top with a round neck and red lacing (like shoelaces) up the front.

Whichever year it was, my mom got to wear pants to work that same year.

My dad was also too much of a fashion policeman, though he didn't beat me. I'm sorry that happened to you. I wouldn't have dared roll my skirts up or change clothes once I got out the door because, between Dadbotaz and tattletales from church, I was sure I'd get caught.

I remember feeling relieved in 1976, when midi skirts came back, because that eliminated one of my fashion challenges. The big one was around the hem of my jeans being able to touch the ground, at a time when the style was to drag them out. Why my dad cared so much about that is anyone's guess--not like I wouldn't be able to wear them.

He also had a thing about cutoffs, and the length of shorts in general. My insane mother claims I once wore a "gross" pair of shorts to a barbecue at my dad's Mormon work friend's house. I have such a hard time believing that happened. Why my mom thought my shorts--which would have had a rolled cuff and could not possibly have been short enough for a normal person to have a problem with--were gross, and why she felt compelled to tell me that decades later, is another matter. That much I understand.

Ugh … childhood trauma!

Anyway, suffice it to say I have no respect for Mormon ideas about clothing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2018 02:08PM by munchybotazv2.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 21, 2018 09:00AM

I moved from Utah to California in 1966. One of the first things I noticed when I started school here (2nd grade) was...the girls wore pants! Even the teachers!

That was 52 years ago, Russ...

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: December 21, 2018 10:35AM

Dress code for my high school in early 70s northern Cal:

"Wear shoes"

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 21, 2018 09:15AM

Oh the inspiration!

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: December 21, 2018 09:44AM

about the level of control that this organization has over the intimate details of the lives of its most devoted members.

Why do people put up with this?

Have we all become sheep? Are we adults or children? This is very sad.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 21, 2018 10:49AM

No one's yet mentioned the photo caption in the article?

"...the sisters were helping to clean the temple..."

Anyway, pants is one thing, but seeing those fresh-faced young women is depressing, after my visit to the Hawaii temple where the mishies (one from South Korea, one senior from Georgia, one from Okinawa) all spouted the same rote lines about their testimonies.

Cult. Word for word. Spoon-fed.

Date: December 21, 2018 01:28PM

Well, now no one, NO ONE can say Russ isn't a prophet AND a profit!!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 21, 2018 03:22PM

Does Russ (or the church) hold stock in a mormon-favored company that makes women's pants?

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 21, 2018 05:58PM

OMG I can't believe the pent-up relief that my TBM family members are spewing all over FB. Funny how they've kept up this simmering resentment about not being allowed to wear pants at such a slow boil.

I suspect it won't be too long before nice dressy pants suits will be allowed at some church functions...we shall see.

Posted by: Swiss Miss ( )
Date: December 21, 2018 06:04PM

This is so unfair!!! I spent the winter of '83 riding a clunker 5 speed bicycle through the damp freezing snow in Interlaken and surrounding towns while wearing a skirt. It was freezing! Now the sisters can wear pants because the men in charge finally realize that pants are warmer than skirts? What took so long? Sisters don't even tract anymore, and the Zurich mission is now closed. I'm ticked off!!!!!

Posted by: GNPE13 ( )
Date: December 21, 2018 08:36PM

Swiss Miss:

We hope U can chill (pun intended, ha ha!)

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: December 21, 2018 08:45PM

In 1980 on my mission in Arizona, the MP was taking the cars away from the sister missionaries. We were in Phoenix and surrounding area. We stuck together and said we would ride bikes if we could wear pants. We stayed in our apts and refused to do missionary work. There were 10 of us. We ignored threats and we kind of wanted to have bikes. We figured they would let us wear pants. We were wrong, they gave us the cars back.

Date: December 21, 2018 08:53PM

Lesson: ChurchCo will go to great lengths not to loose a point / give up on the slightest of issues...

Heil Morland!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 24, 2018 04:22PM

Sister missionaries 'sticking together' !?

this was an insurrection, I'm completely shocked the MP didn't send U all home!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 22, 2018 01:59AM

With the pants situation coming into the 1970s, some of my fondest memories were the hot pants. Due to the weather in Colorado in the winter, the only place for hot pants were at bars and single meeting places.

I envied to those in SoCal that I understood that women in high school and college wore the HPs to school without batting an eye.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: December 22, 2018 04:37AM

Are Mormon women allowed to wear pants to church in cold or snowy weather?

What about mosquitoes? There are lots of mosquitoes in Utah, with West Nile virus attached. What about tics and lyme disease?

What qualifies a pant to be a "dress pant"? Fabric content? I assume that denim is forbidden, but what about black denim? I wear corduroy pants instead of dress pants. Zip-front jean-style pants are less dressy, so will the men have to pull up our shirts, to check what kind of pockets the pants have? Will bishops and other Mormon authorities have the power to discern between cotton and wool and polyester?

Mormon women--even in the dress-standard photos--wear their clothes skin tight. Bra lines and garment lines are clearly visible. How would men judge the appropriate tightness of women's pants? If you can put 4 fingers between the pant and the leg, the pants are loose. Priesthood men would have a lot of fun with that one.

Having the Mormons feel me up for garments was bad enough.

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: December 22, 2018 06:11AM

I was taught in a psychology class that your values/morals tend to solidify when you reach adulthood. Russ was born in 1924 so he would have been an adult in the 1940's. Women's pants was becoming a big thing at that time. Where before they would only ever be worn to do heavy work. Now they were actually something you could wear fashionably.

This article explains it a bit better.

https://vintagedancer.com/1940s/womens-1940s-pants-styles/

We're moving up in the world folks! We've reached the 1940s! WOOOOO!

Date: December 22, 2018 12:30PM

Just wondering...

Does Russ consult with Trump?

Posted by: TX Rancher ( )
Date: December 22, 2018 07:59PM

The one and only thought that comes to mind--and I saw another poster on another forum mention it--is the absurdity that the church now "allows" women to wear pants. Allows. It's one of many ridiculous rules that missionaries, who are volunteers and grown adults, are required to follow.

It blows my mind, but for the members still stuck in the cult they accept all edicts, rules, and requirements with joy.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 23, 2018 01:28AM

Well, my guess is the MormonCult must have lost a BIG lawsuit or lawsuits over being sued for missionaries being made ill or dying from lyme disease, malaria, etc. etc. for them to actually take steps to ensure, quoting Uchtdorf, "...the safety, security, and health of our beloved missionaries, and the cultural sensitivities of the places where they serve."

Will the cult actually care and cease sending missionaries to nations that are engaged in gorilla warfare, places that are extremely deficient in healthy living conditions, places lacking adequate medical care, and on and on and on?

I myself would not count on it. Missionaries have NEVER been given the proper, current, and honest assessment of the culture they are going to serve in be it overseas or in these United States. Hell, these teens SUPPPOSEDLY, in the cult's estimation, are old enough to go live in these areas, but are not old enough to then be told what they are ACTUALLY GOING TO FACE.

With cult rules up the ying-yang for the mishies, even to the point they are NOT TO CALL THEIR BELOVED FAMILIES more than two times a year (even though the cult is supposed to think families are the be-all-and-end-all), plus the fact they are told not to read current event in their area, how does this treatment show that the cult thinks these teens are adults?

Russ is on a roll alright.....just rolling along with the same dangerous, nonthinking bullshit which harms and even kills that is so, so often "rolled" out by the cult.

Date: December 23, 2018 01:36AM

nearly everything they do verifies the tight control they assume they both cherish & have.

Indoctrination: They've perfected it with or without inspiration; I keep wondering if they've (secretly) hired psychologists / sociologists to guide them in achieving their goals.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: December 24, 2018 11:50AM

I’m sure there is a Dramatized Church History cassette somewhere with that prophecy dramatized. Talk about signs of the times!

Date: December 24, 2018 07:18PM

Maybe, just maybe, Russ feels he was cheated when Monson was "president" when the children of alt parents policy was put into place, he & Hoax might have been the masterminds behind it with TD Christofferson as the Front Man...

will we ever know? I doubt it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2018 08:15PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: December 24, 2018 08:34PM

Funny how Mormon God takes so long to enlighten his mouthpiece on earth about such things as "safety concerns". Guess Mormon God thought lots of serious illness from insect bites was totally acceptable to test the faith of missionary women in the past. But now it is the time to start preventing these unsafe conditions. Could it be that the latest crop of "chosen generation" is getting too small to risk losing? Hmmmmmm.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.