Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: latterdaylesbian ( )
Date: December 26, 2018 03:23PM

Hey Heathens!! I was born and raised under the covenant, married young to get approval from my dad and God, had 7 kids because I was so obedient, shelf fell at age 40, left the church at 41, came out of the closet at 42, divorced at 44. Now trying to heal the trauma and figure out my next 40 years. My girlfriend and I started a podcast called Latter Day Lesbian. In it I tell my story of being raised in a very Mormon patriarchal family and getting out. It is raw and vulnerable, yet funny and hopeful. You can find it on most major podcasting platforms. I'd love it if you would listen and give some feedback!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 26, 2018 11:22PM

You have been on quite an odyssey.

Do you have a link to the podcast you're able to share? Congrats on your journey of self-discovery and coming out.

Date: December 27, 2018 10:22PM

Alrighty. It is against the rules to post any links in this forum. Just do a search for Latter Day Lesbian on any major platforms like Spotify, iTunes, AnchorFM, Stitcher etc.

Date: December 28, 2018 08:01PM

Thanks. Was able to find it doing a search on stitcher.

It is definitely more stigmatizing to be gay and Mormon, than to be gay period.

My heart goes out to anyone caught in that dilemma. I have cousins who happened to be LDS and gay at the same time. What gave was the Mormon religion for each of them.

I'll work backwards on these audio tapes. Have spent the last two days between work and doctors offices, and am still getting over the effects of a migraine. But really do want to listen to these as I'm able.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2018 08:01PM by Amyjo.

Date: December 29, 2018 10:06AM

The only way to be gay and Mormon is to be lonely and Mormon. My gay Mormon friend, who truly believes in the church but thinks they are getting it wrong on social issues, was excommunicated when she married her wife. No more Mormon.
When I came out to my Dad he reminded me of the whole, "it's not a sin to have same sex attraction, but if you act on it then it's a sin" thing. I asked him if he wanted me to live by myself for the rest of my life and never have love. He had no answer for that. You just can't be Mormon and gay and happy.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to my podcast!! It's been a big project and has completely swallowed my life but I'm enjoying it. I love hearing how people have been helped by me sharing my story. That's the best part.

Take care!
-Shelly

Date: December 27, 2018 09:22PM

Hey there! Thanks for asking for the link! It has been a huge journey for sure.

I responded earlier but the message didn't come through. Maybe we aren't allowed to post links? I'll try again anyway.

Admin note: That's correct, posting links to personal blogs, etc. is against the rules. Please read the guidelines at the top of the page.
Tbanks!
CZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2018 10:09PM by Concrete Zipper.

Date: December 27, 2018 09:41PM

Thanks, I'll check those out when I have time tomorrow after work.

That is quite a journey. From being LDS to having a large family in the church, then finding out you were destined to be somebody else than what you were living at the time.

It takes a lot of courage to do something so profound IMO.

Posted by: Mormon Nomore ( )
Date: December 27, 2018 09:45PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, I'll check those out when I have time
> tomorrow after work.

Amyjo, quit your job. Watch the podcast. You'll thank me in the morning.

Date: December 27, 2018 10:15PM

I can't quit my job lol. But I'll watch that podcast tomorrah too. It was made in October, and the world is still spinning on its axis, no?

I'll report back and let you know what I think about it. It is an hour long. So I need to schedule it or skim it.

Date: December 27, 2018 10:20PM

Got it!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.