Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 28, 2018 02:49AM

“I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.”
--Voltaire

Seems applicable to much of the blowback we have received from Mormons. A lovely thought. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 28, 2018 11:09AM

It's no wonder he was a frontrunner of the Age of Enlightenment!

Regarding Voltaire's religious views, "Like other key Enlightenment thinkers, Voltaire was a deist, expressing the idea: "What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason."[121][122] Voltaire held mixed views of the Abrahamic religions but had a favourable view of Hinduism.

In a 1763 essay, Voltaire supported the toleration of other religions and ethnicities: "It does not require great art, or magnificently trained eloquence, to prove that Christians should tolerate each other. I, however, am going further: I say that we should regard all men as our brothers. What? The Turk my brother? The Chinaman my brother? The Jew? The Siam? Yes, without doubt; are we not all children of the same father and creatures of the same God?"[123]

In one of his many denunciations of priests of every religious sect, Voltaire describes them as those who "rise from an incestuous bed, manufacture a hundred versions of God, then eat and drink God, then piss and shit God."[124]

His death and burial,

Death and burial
In February 1778, Voltaire returned for the first time in over 25 years to Paris, among other reasons to see the opening of his latest tragedy, Irene.[96] The five-day journey was too much for the 83-year-old, and he believed he was about to die on 28 February, writing "I die adoring God, loving my friends, not hating my enemies, and detesting superstition." However, he recovered, and in March he saw a performance of Irene, where he was treated by the audience as a returning hero.[37]

He soon became ill again and died on 30 May 1778. The accounts of his deathbed have been numerous and varying, and it has not been possible to establish the details of what precisely occurred. His enemies related that he repented and accepted the last rites given by a Catholic priest, or that he died under great torment, while his adherents told how he was defiant to his last breath.[97] According to one story of his last words, his response to a priest at his deathbed urging him to renounce Satan was "Now is not the time for making new enemies."[98] However, this appears to have originated from a joke first published in a Massachusetts newspaper in 1856, and was only attributed to Voltaire in the 1970s.[99]

Because of his well-known criticism of the Church, which he had refused to retract before his death, Voltaire was denied a Christian burial in Paris,[100] but friends and relations managed to bury his body secretly at the Abbey of Scellières in Champagne, where Marie Louise's brother was abbé.[101] His heart and brain were embalmed separately.[102]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltaire

Why would his heart and brain have been embalmed separately, I wonder?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 28, 2018 11:34AM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why would his heart and brain have been embalmed
> separately, I wonder?

If he had been mummified in ancient Egypt his heart would have
been left in his body (all other internal organs removed and
embalmed separately) and his brain discarded.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 28, 2018 11:44AM

When you embrace mormonism your brain is discarded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2018 12:17AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 28, 2018 02:49PM

If I may make an English major's note, Dave: Not that "your brain is discarded," but rather, "...you discard your brain." But you may be on to something, Dave, with the passive voice: passivity does factor into embracing Mormonism.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 28, 2018 03:01PM

Are you sure Dave wasn't referencing Descarte? That's the way I read it.

Although Descarte had more in common with Voltaire than Mormonism.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2018 03:04PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 28, 2018 06:27PM

A related prayer.

"God protect me from my friends and family. My enemies I'll take care of myself."

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: December 28, 2018 07:24PM

Even better prayer:
"Dear God, protect me from your followers. Amen."

HH =)

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 30, 2018 07:33PM

I like Socrates's Prayer:

"Beloved Pan, and all ye other gods who haunt this place, give me beauty in the inward soul; and may the outward and inward man be at one. May I reckon the wise to be the wealthy, and may I have such a quantity of gold as a temperate man and he only can bear and carry."

--Plato--
--Phaedrus--

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 30, 2018 08:24PM

Love that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.