Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 09:34AM

I really did.

Our sweet gospel doctrine teacher asked a question in class. The answer was meant to be "sacrifice". The question itself is not important.

After an extended silence from the class, the sister behind me took a shot at the answer, "submission!"

WTF. The answer made sense for the completly unrelated question.

Submission... the answer to every question.

Very telling...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 09:58AM

A couple of years ago in my wife's old ward, a scheduled speaker gave her talk about the first law of heaven. The theme that week was supposed to be either "obedience" or "the first law"; regardless, it obviously didn't sit well with her, so she redefined the theme to be more palatable to her.

Her talk was a compelling argument for why she believed the true first law was and should be "love", and felt that a law of obedience was antithetical to the free agency a loving God had bestowed upon us.

I tried not to laugh as the Bishop and his counselors, sitting behind the speaker, were initially surprised by the topic and immediately started whispering among themselves and nodding towards the speaker behind her back. As I looked around the congregation, I could see a number of people squirming and heads leaning together in what appeared to be earnest conversation.

It was very entertaining.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 12:11PM

Very telling. Those two words aren't synonymous. That is a huge red Jim Jones level flag waving in their world.

But covenanting to a corp instead of a god is just another one of the many red "standards of liberty" Mormonism has.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.