Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 09:28AM

TBM's should wonder, if the covenant to obey your husband is no longer necessary, was it ever?

How is any other covenant made in an LDS temple any different?

It turns out that what happens in LDS temples is no different than anything else that Mormon doctrine prescribed. It was all a bunch of made up hogwash used to manipulate members and keep them in their subordinate places.

Just sayin'

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 08:06PM

Were women ever really that subservient in the Mormon church? Maybe back when they practiced polygamy. The LDS women of the 60's I grew up with were pretty vocal and outspoken.

If that has been dropped it is long overdue.

My TBM paternal grandfather used to say he felt his wife should be able to hold the priesthood. He was a fourth generation Mormon and so was grandma. She was very much his equal, and he treated her as such.

TSCC is backwards in so many respects.

Posted by: Snickers ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 08:08PM

I think since they changed the ceremony, they should require all members to go back through again to get their 'upgraded' temple work done for them. Only fair.

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 08:20PM

That is a great idea. It would be like when Hollywood makes a movie out of a really lousy 70's TV show.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 08:38PM

It would boost temple attendance!

Mormon women would want an upgrade. For a few hundred dollars (of their husband's money) in tithing, "less active" women could go back for a re-do. That's a huge untapped market for LD$, Inc.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 08:30PM

The males only 'holding' the priesthood (a device made up by J.S.
to show that the men had power over women, at home and in the church.

Remember when women were not allowed to give an opening prayer at S. mtg.? As far as I know (and I haven't been active for years), this is still the rule.

What say you?

Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 11:05PM

I think it's a way to keep and attract new members. The church is losing so many members like crazy, they are bending to pressure. I could see them allowing chuldrenof LGBT getting baptized and becoming more like other churches. Maybe they will even lower tithes.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 11:16PM

It is most definitely a ploy to retain new members. The crime is that TSCC will then lie and say they always did it the new way.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.