Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 05:49PM

We got a flyer on our door today, complete with a tithing envelope. It was the annual pitch for planting a flag in our yard on a few holidays. Usually it is from the local scout troop. Today, it was branded "Annual Young Men Flag Fundraiser". Shouldn't it have said "First Annual...

Anyhow, the price has gone up quite a bit..now it's $40 for 6 holidays and one fake one (pioneer day). Of course, the checks are to be made out to the ward.

I fly the flag on a LOT more holidays than that, for $0. No more scout fundraisers, but they still want your money.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 05:51PM

And the money sucking continues - they can never, ever, ever get enough. It's repulsive.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 05:58PM

So, let me get this straight...you pay them, for them to use your yard for flags?

Shouldn't they be paying you for the privilege of utilizing your real estate?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 07:08PM

The local scout troops come around on certain holidays and plant a flag in your yard. They take it down the next day.

I see fewer and fewer doing this in my neighborhood.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 10:06AM

after about 2 yrs of me living in my house in UT, I saw that the whole neighborhood, including my house, had a flag out in front during the holidays. I/We didn't ask for this and I was pissed that someone else thought * I* (or *WE*/the Neighborhood) needed to fly the flag. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem w/the flag, but to have someone else flying it for me, is wrong IMO, since I was never asked. I found out this was an "Eagle Scout" project. I know scouts was/are a big deal here w/mormons, but other Eagle Scouts I knew outside of UT and not mormon, built bridges over small creeks in a park or handicap ramp access where none existed before...not planting flags in strangers' yards, which ended up on the ground...which REALLY pissed me off

Posted by: ScottB ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 01:56PM

nonmo_1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> after about 2 yrs of me living in my house in UT,
> I saw that the whole neighborhood, including my
> house, had a flag out in front during the
> holidays. I/We didn't ask for this and I was
> pissed that someone else thought * I* (or *WE*/the
> Neighborhood) needed to fly the flag. Don't get me
> wrong, I have no problem w/the flag, but to have
> someone else flying it for me, is wrong IMO, since
> I was never asked. I found out this was an "Eagle
> Scout" project. I know scouts was/are a big deal
> here w/mormons, but other Eagle Scouts I knew
> outside of UT and not mormon, built bridges over
> small creeks in a park or handicap ramp access
> where none existed before...not planting flags in
> strangers' yards, which ended up on the
> ground...which REALLY pissed me off

This is why Mormon Scout troops werrn't taken seriously by the rest of BSA.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 06:05PM

...wth? The craziness escalates. At some point members will NEED to steer clear of this careening, spinning top called "The Last Vestiges of Mormonism". You don't want to be anywhere near the area of collateral damage. There will be casualties.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 02:25AM

I find this repulsive to charge someone to post a flag.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 08:58AM

If anyone asks, perhaps you can tell them that this year, you will be supporting the YW fundraiser instead.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 10:10AM

Just tell them that if they are going to do it you will need a rainbow flag as well fore Gay Pride Day. That should end the program.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 11:54AM

is that my ex is such a penny pincher, you'd be shocked. So while I was staying in Colorado a few years back with my boyfriend, he actually paid the scouts to do this. One of the women in the neighborhood asked him to. The women adore him. It is quite entertaining to watch, but for my ex to pay for a flag to be put up.

The way to tell what people are inactive or not mormon in Utah, at least Cache Valley, is to drive down the street on a holiday like 4th of July. We have several flags and a place on our house to hang the flag.

Oh, and here they take the flags down before sunset on that day. Usually it is the scout leader's family, not the scouts.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 12:25PM

Reminded me of this...

https://www.videodetective.com/movies/christmas-with-the-kranks-scene-they-want-frosty/316917

And the local ward is like the neighborhood "watch" patrol.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 02:05PM

Back in the "one-baby-only" days, there were women who monitored women's menstrual cycle, to make sure they weren't pregnant. I just finished "Secrets & Wives" (good read!) on polygamy, and that's still done in some LDS polyramous groups, but for the opposite reason--to exploit the fertility cycle.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.