Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 10:25PM

"It's time for Steve King to go. There's no room for Steve King's comments in polite public or in Congress. He's got to go."

No word yet on condemning the white supremacy comments cannonized as scripture in his MORmON scriptures.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 10:42PM

It's all political strategy on Romney's part. He's setting himself up as the "un-Trump" in case the GOP moves back in a traditional direction. It's a low risk gambit--Utah isn't going to reject him as a senator in any case--and he gets a call option on a possible run for the presidency.

Kasich is doing much the same thing.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 12:19AM

It's like he's constantly begging the media to pat him on the back for taking "courageous" stands against things that take absolutely no courage to stand against.

Next up: Romney will declare that he remains convinced that Hitler was a jerk and publicly announces that he will not let anyone pressure him into backing down on this position.

Where's the next big media story going? Romney wants to know so that he can hold a press conference and pretend to be leading.

Date: January 15, 2019 12:43AM

In certain circles denouncing racism and racists is somewhat risky, which is tragic.

Having rock solid support in a particular state makes exhibiting such "courage" safer.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 01:06AM

Sure, the LSD Church has a history that could qualify. But you would probably have to go back to the 1960s (1970s at the very latest) to find any political situation in Utah generally that would make it even slightly risky for a Senator from the state to denounce racism--and even then the denouncing would have played well to the national mainstream press. (In any case, Romney was just a spoiled, well-connected rich kid living in Michigan and other places far outside Utah during that time period.)

Romney's "leadership" on this is about as bold and significant as taking a stand against clubbing baby seals and torturing kittens.

Date: January 15, 2019 01:21AM

My point is that in today's world, there are definitely risks to a politician publicly opposing racism and racists. It took years and years for the GOP to denounce King, and he continues to enjoy the support of powerful politicians with similar views.

Romney's security in Utah means that he is freer to take positions like this nationally. He's still hedging his bets because, as you note, he is not a particularly principled man. But strategically, as opposed to morally, he's doing the right thing.

Again, I'm commenting on his electoral future and not on his character, about which you and I are on the same page.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 11:21AM

I notice that he's becoming a go-to person when a reporter is looking for a comment from a Republican.

Posted by: Romneyfied ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 12:33AM

Romney is a self-serving, attention-seeking, carpet-bagging backstabber. I hope he gets full attention and becomes known for these characteristics.

Date: January 15, 2019 10:17AM

Romneyfied Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Romney is a self-serving, attention-seeking,
> carpet-bagging backstabber. I hope he gets full
> attention and becomes known for these
> characteristics.
How do you REALLY feel about the man?

Don't be shy.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 01:38AM

Darn it, you guys. I thought I was going to have to re-read The Green Mile just to find that.

Date: January 15, 2019 01:52AM

Oh man! That's two times in one day, Kathleen!

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 11:19AM

Romney just likes to stir things up. He's only been in office for a week. I wish he would just help bring unity to the country by saying nice things about our Leader. Both sides are upset with the executive leadership and for not listening to their constituents. Because they think they know better.

The politicians have a great deal of arrogance. In my view. And it could get worse.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 11:20AM

aka (anon this week)

Date: January 15, 2019 05:43PM

macaRomney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Romney just likes to stir things up. He's only
> been in office for a week. I wish he would just
> help bring unity to the country by saying nice
> things about our (Dear) Leader.

Romney tried saying nice things about our Dear Leader, over frog legs in his tower, he just choked on those words once he decided another run at President might just fulfill the White horse prophecy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.