Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 03:27PM

I may have missed something, but why do so many posts here refer to Mormon church president Russell M Nelson as being dominated by his wife?

I don't necessarily object as I am militantly indifferent about corporate politics. I am just curious.

Wouldn't it be a good thing to have a shared amount of influence?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 03:38PM

I'm agnostic on whether she dominates him. However, in the context of his and Wendy's comments about how he is guided by nocturnal promptings, it amuses me to think that she is whispering new policies in his ear while he sleeps.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 10:19PM

His current wife Wendy is his sevond wife. She is almost 30 years younger than him.

She had a successful career as a nurse and therapist if I remember correctly.

But she was a spinster, never married until in her 50s.

Many believe she has significant influence on the current mormon leader, particularly after his latest revelations thst have focused on better situations for women.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 09:39AM

Older men are drawn to younger women and nurses so they can take care of them in their old age.

Brigham Young's favorite of his 55 wives was both one of the youngest and a nurse to look after him. She was the one who went with him (only her,) each winter to St. George.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 08:58AM

She's being mocked not for anything she's actually done, but simply for existing and being married to Nelson. I think the most applicable name for that would be sexism.

Like calling her a spinster, a term severely out of fashion for half a century now, and a term by definition sexist, since there is no male equivalent, and is a term that vaguely implies failure.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 09:33AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Like calling her a spinster, a term severely out
> of fashion for half a century now, and a term by
> definition sexist, since there is no male
> equivalent, and is a term that vaguely implies
> failure.

A 50 year old woman that is never married within Mormonism is considered a failure within that culture. Which outdated word used to describe that doesn't change the reality of that culture.

And the equivalent term for males is "Menace to the community". LOL

“Every man not married and over twenty-five is a menace to the community." Brigham Young

"I am firmly of the opinion that a large number of unmarried men, over the age of twenty-four years, is a dangerous element in any community" George Q. Cannon

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 09:41AM

I see Wendy as a sort of dominatrix over her husband. If that is a sexist label it isn't meant to be derogatory. Except in the sense that she may truly wear the pants in their family, and therefore who runs the household may also be running TSCC.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 01:08PM

Lowpriest Wrote:
> Wouldn't it be a good thing to have a shared
> amount of influence?

For me it would be a good thing if women in their own right could have power more than influence only. I bet many wives have had power in positions through marriage. The Morg projects their power in their priesthood. The disconnect of having Wendy using an old husband to exercise power instead of some God upholding him is what I find amusing.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 01:11PM

Lowpriest Wrote:
> I may have missed something, but why do so many
> posts here refer to Mormon church president
> Russell M Nelson as being dominated by his wife?

"Eat your vitamin pills. Get your rest."
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900044280/church-news-eat-your-vitamin-pills-get-your-rest-says-president-nelson-on-the-future-of-the-mormon-church.html

The "good" doctor's nurse is making sure he gets his.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 03:13PM

Wendy probably has some influence. We just have to look back in history for times when that was exactly the case.

1) Remember FDR during his 3rd term when he had that stroke, Eleanor was giving the commands to the generals for WW2.

2) And then there was Woodrow Wilson who had a severe stroke and had his wife run the country for a while at the end of WW1.

3) And of course there was Nancy Reagan who was relying on psychics to help in guiding her very old husband govern the country.

So I'm sure Wendy has her place among all these women in shaping policy.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 03:33PM

I doubt any of us will ever know their relationship in private. We can only project their relationship from what is seen and heard from public appearances and ceremonies.

My personal opinion is that Rusty and Oaks spend a lot of their personal time together with their wives. And I think both of their younger wives work to keep their "profit hubbies" in line.

I had a real prick for a mission president. He really knew how to use power to dominate others. However, the one and only person that really commanded him was his wife. A lot of "Yes dears" were heard every time she came to a zone conference to pitch HER spiel on the lack of hygiene in missionary apartments. It became crystal clear who gave the orders when the MP asked his wife if it was ok to adjourn the conference for lunch (he was a lawyer).

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 08:55PM

She has certainly made many more public appearances and talks than any other G-15 wife that I can think of.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.