Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 11:34AM

An SLTrib poster gives a simple, yet revealing, insight that exposes an essential characteristic of mormonism (and by implication, essential behaviors of mormons and their 'church'):

"One sure sign of a cult is that nobody is allowed to leave with their dignity."

Poster 'cl_rand':
https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/01/16/commentary-latter-day/comments/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 11:35AM

Epic. Important. Thanks. So true.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 12:03PM

As much as the Mormons attempt to denigrate those who leave--strip them of their dignity---they will one day have to face the fact that there is nothing more undignified than allowing someone else to tell you what to think, how to act, and who to love, like Mormons.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 12:18PM

"Lazy, offended, wanting to sin" -- you simply can't leave Mormonism without an insult.

A similar point was made about Scientology on Leah Remini's show.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 12:58PM

Very true.

This is another example that refutes the common apology: "The Mormon church might be weird, but the members are nice people."

It's the individual Mormons who, as Mormon minions, carry out the cult's threats of outer darkness. Are my Mormon neighbors "nice people"? No, they are not.

Let them insult and slander those who leave--it just slams the door behind the escapees, so they never return. My best friend and her husband began questioning Mormonism when they saw, first hand how our Mormon neighbors abused me and my children. They were big tithe-payers, and were only wavering, at that point, but the nasty Mormons started harassing them, and they decided to study "the gospel" in depth, because Mormons did not act like "Christians". This couple's adult children left, also, taking the grandchildren with them. This snowball effect was something good that resulted from Mormon harassment.

We ex-Mormons will never have the love and respect of the Mormons, but there is plenty to be found out there in the "other 99% of the world. (Or here in Utah, the other 60%)

If Mormons won't "allow" others to leave with our dignity intact, we can turn around and not "allow" them to take away our dignity. It becomes a battle, and some ex-Mormons have to fight for their marriage, fight for the loyalty of their children, fight to salvage their career, fight to protect their children from Mormon shunning and bullying in the schools (this happened to my kids). Our dignity was important to me and my children, and the only way we could find respect and equality was to cut ourselves off from Mormons entirely, and concentrate on our good non-Mormon friends. Believe me, we did make an effort to salvage what we thought had been "friendships" with the Mormons.

Anyone who wants you to fail is NOT your friend, but an enemy.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 02:20PM

exminion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone who wants you to fail is NOT your friend,
> but an enemy.

And my family. Their "blessings" biases give credit to my wife and children for our successes instead of anything I did.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 02:56PM

All of the church rescues are also undignified attempts to shame and embarrass you return to the cult.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 06:33PM

I think the individual gets to decide if they’ve retained their personal dignity.

I have no doubt that the institution (individual members or as a whole) frequently attempt character assasinations on those in the process of leaving. That’s different, though.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 06:40PM

See, to me, those inside didn't have dignity, much less if they left. It just blew my mind that grown men and women would stand up in front of hundreds of people and sob.

I mentioned this in my previous thread 'what's with all the crying'

I just can't see any dignity--some of them would get up every single testimony Sunday and cry and cry all over again in front of everyone...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.