Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catholicrebel ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 09:11PM

In one of the church bulletins I specifically remember they had it as “profit” instead of Prophet. Why do I constantly see this typo among the Mormon community? I’m just curious. It’s almost ironic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 09:52PM

Mormons learn to spell from the book of morMon. It learned to spell from Joseph Smith, Jr.,... who never learned to spell.

M@t

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 10:51PM

It could be that. More likely, it's just sloppiness and laziness.

In Joseph Smith's day, people often just spelled words using letters to approximate what the words sounded like to them.

Later in the 19th century, educated people were expected to use increasingly standardized spellings, as set out in popular dictionaries that had become readily available to the general public. There was a time when people would be embarrassed by bad spelling and would humbly accept correction when it was pointed out. Nowadays, people who point out incorrect spelling are often subject to shaming more than a person who persists in using incorrect spelling. (That said, I agree that people who nitpick at minor, obvious typos just to "win" an argument that they can't win on the merits deserve to be called on it.)

Spelling is important. Although typos are inevitable to some degree. It's disheartening to see that some people who should know better persist in consistently misspelling common words.

It drives me a bit nuts every time I see someone going on about how they're going to "loose" their mind. Or when they talk about someone going "rouge" and becoming a "rouge agent". Typos I understand. I make my share. But university graduates who never bothered to learn the correct spelling of common words in the first place are another story.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 11:55PM

Once in the BYU/Daily Universe (paper) they had 'apostates' instead of Apostle;

'of course' their vanity mandated that they confiscate all copies (rumor? April Fools??)

Date: January 21, 2019 12:13AM

I'm not talking about run-of-the-mill typos. But semi-illiterate nonsense.

I once saw an essay by a person who thought "consecrated oil" was "concentrated oil" and repeatedly referred to "concentrated oil" throughout.

I've frequently seen Mormon writers using the word "alter" when they're actually talking about an altar.

I could go on, but I won't. I fear that if I do I will shirley loose my mind and then go rouge and destroy an alter with a baseball bat and use some viles of concentrated oil to make a pasta dish. ;o)

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 11:43AM

The “then, than” confusion is my favorite.

Posted by: StillLurking ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 01:27AM

mal·a·prop

noun: malapropism
the mistaken use of a word in place of a similar-sounding one, often with unintentionally amusing effect, as in, for example, “dance a flamingo ” (instead of flamenco ).
synonyms: wrong word, solecism, error, misuse, misusage, misapplication, infelicity, slip of the tongue.

Date: January 21, 2019 02:56AM

testofmoney about one of the key tenants of my religion. I'm talking about the Urine and Thumb-In method of transubstantiation that brought fourth the Book of Moreman. The first profit and all the profits since then have, with every udder ants they have maid, proven to be true, bonerfied profits who was in toon with the wholly ghost. I had time to pawnder this when I was dancing the Havana Gila with friends in Isreal or Cuba, I forget which. I was staying in a very nice hotel sweet at the time.

Anyway, I may not be a shoe-in for the noble price, but I know witch church is true.

This I no with every fiber of my bean. For to whom many talents are given, a talent show must be staged. And every one must tow the line.

Do not crittercise him who speaks planely, for you should cast the bean out of your eye before you seek to cast the moat out of the other guy's eye. I don't expect to be awarded any metals for pointing this out. But it is better to loose all the riches in the whirled than to loose one's soul.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 11:50AM

sole...sorry.

Date: January 21, 2019 11:58AM

Sole. That's right. May all are soles be shoe-ins for getting into heavan. I prey everyday that angles will be sent to protect us from the vial plans of Satin.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 08:52AM

My significant other works at a print shop that had a large order from the local Catholic Church for an event. The flyer was supposed to say “Celebrating all of God’s creations.” Instead it went out saying “Celebrating all of God’s creatons.” A hilarious error... especially since it went thru 3 proof readings AND was approved by the customer as the final draft.

Sometimes our brain just fills in what it expects to see.

Posted by: Usual lurker ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 10:30AM

How come nobody’s mentioned the obvious?

Autocowreck!

Not just on this board, but increasingly on everything we write on computers and smartphones, Skynet infiltrates our communication and spreads discord among us. It does this by creating malapropisms even when the human author typed the correct word correctly.

The war has started! Long live John Connor! Down with the machines!

Date: January 21, 2019 12:00PM

It's there to cover co-wrecks.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 03:49PM

On this site it is often a deliberate spelling.

I use Profit all the time. To me it stems from the fact that the president of the church is the sole owner of all church property and wealth.

For the current leader I find profit an apt title after he told the church members in Africa they'd only prosper if they gave money to the church. Plus the teaching that you need to pay the church before rent, food, utilities or even medical expenses.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 04:34PM

When you go to the temple, you do not go to do ceilings. You go to do sealings.

Drywall people do ceilings.

Posted by: Fell out ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 05:31PM

I love play on words, truth in all humor I suppose.

Profit Sears and Realtors

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 05:58PM

Fell out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Profit Sears and Realtors

Profits of power and influence, Sears as in how they are increasing profits from investing in land instead of devesting like Sears, and Realtors of the great day of their power. They reign from the rivers to the ends of the earth. There is none who dares to molest, or make afraid.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.