Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormon Nomore ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 09:21AM

Quite often I marvel at the advantages we enjoy as we use the internet to enjoy music, educational and especially having answers at my fingertips, 24/7/365.

The world's wealthiest Titans a hundred years ago would be envious of what most of us take for granted.

I feel lucky to be alive right now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 11:53AM

When I go to dinner with my boyfriend or when we have dinner at home, he is always looking at his cell phone. Last night, he wanted me to watch video after video. I just left the room or I do dishes or something. My daughter does the same thing. She is forever on her phone, as well as my "ex."

The college kids I work with can't even leave it alone while working. They can have their phones because there are some things that we have to access on phones.

I watch as mothers push their carts around the store with their kids playing games on their phones.

I did enjoy being able to work remotely for years and years, and the internet helped with all the questions I had for my job. Having my daughter work in Alaska, I was able to watch what she did through her posts on fb.

There are good things and bad things about the internet. I barely use my phone. I'm glad to have it for emergencies and glad my kids had them just in case. My son barely uses his phone, but he works on a computer, too.

I think our use of media needs to find a happy medium. It was one thing for me to sit my kids in front of the TV to watch a movie (we didn't have cable when they were small), but I never had them watch all day and I certainly didn't have them on a phone playing games when they were spending time with me even if it was grocery shopping. My kids remember well shopping with mom. They weren't checked out (no pun intended).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2019 11:54AM by cl2.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 01:10PM

I suppose every age has its tribulations. At least we’re not dying at age 40.

It’s interesting the way media has evolved over the last 50 years. You can see the cultural shift away from black and white thinking. Maybe all of this is a slow transition to a full color world.

Society is still coming to grips with networked technology. It will take some time to learn how to live with it. The babies are born into it, so they are the ones who will work out how to best manage it.

Date: January 23, 2019 05:33PM

cl2,

Thank you for your perspective.

Now tell us, where did you find your moniker...cl2?

My mind drifts from deviant bodily possibilities to impressive new elements that may soon be discovered.

cl2

But why?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 05:51PM

I work as a bookkeeper. The internet is a must

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 12:12PM

Mormon Nomore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I feel lucky to be alive right now.

I feel lucky to be a Mormon Nomore right now!

Date: January 23, 2019 05:37PM

Elder Berry,

What fragrance do you use, when times are good for you?

Me: Channel for men. Oh. And Calvin Kline, if the Sales Associate appears single...

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 12:12PM

Can you picture your life without the Internet now that it's here to stay?

Artificial Intelligence is replacing human intelligence. Not that the idea of that I find comforting, but it is what it is.

Can't imagine a heaven without technology either. If you can't access Google whatcha gonna do when you cross over those pearly gates?

I envision we may have more agility perhaps, but may still require a palm pilot, GPS, and tablet. Some people may go through other kinds of withdrawal, but what about technology withdrawal?

Not to mention potable water and other amenities of modern life.

Date: January 23, 2019 05:40PM

Amyjo,

I am pretty sure that the Holy Ghost has never tried a Google Search.

I may be wrong, if he, I mean, He has any curiosity.

Date: January 23, 2019 05:46PM

Last night I was about to purchase a donut at Dunkin Donuts. The power went out for about a minute. I suggested that my co-fornicater pay exact change, but she has been trained that when there is no power flow, no transaction is possible.

I waited, patiently, wondering how long I would be willing to wait for a power restoration.

Before I could estimate, it came back on, and in less that three minutes, the donut was safely making its way down my esophogus.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 12:27PM

The internet is doing to Mormonism what Martin Luther did to Catholicism.
And Mormons had smaller numbers to begin with.

The internet informed about DNA results vs the Book of Mormon, for which I and my family are eternally grateful.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 12:37PM

Yes.

Just this morning I googled how many heavens there were with all the religions.

I didn't find a tally but this was apropos of an Board comment that two things can't occupy one space.

The ability to look up anything and find stuff on it has to have opened many eyes. I am sure the new generation will be exposed to opposing info on LDS and that has got to be good!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 02:24PM

Yes, I do! Without the Internet my job would not be possible. Or at least very, very much harder.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 05:51PM

The internet was such a revelation to me when I first found it. I had heard about AOL back in the 90s, but it didn't seem to be right for me. But every time I went to my local library, the search engine buttons were on the bottom of the library search page, tempting me. Around 1997, I punched one of them. A new world opened for me.

The internet has really helped me to find communities of like-minded people. No matter what interest you have, you can find people who have the very same interest. I've connected with old friends that would have been impossible to find otherwise. And of course, a library's worth of information is at my fingertips.

I give less attention now to newspapers and news websites, and I read fewer novels and magazines. I would like to balance out my reading more. But overall I've gained much more than I've lost.

My elderly mom never wanted to try it. I think she would have loved it -- and my dad as well.

My students have been learning about the pioneer days. As a part of that, I've been reading aloud to them, "Little House in the Big Woods." I explain to them that for the settlers, there was no TV, no radio, no video games, and no internet. The settlers made music at night and told stories. The men cleaned their guns or did woodcarving, and the women sewed. My students' eyes widen when I tell them this.

I wonder what wonderful invention of the future will cause people to say, "How did we ever get along without this? Whatever did people do to entertain themselves?" :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2019 05:56PM by summer.

Date: January 23, 2019 06:19PM

A few months before my dad passed away (2008), I took the time during our visit to tell him all about You Tube. That you could tupe in any song or artist's name, and up would come a thousand videos from concerts, studios or singers who recorded favorite songs as amateurs.

He didn't believe me for a moment. My many pranks and lies had insulated him from reality.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.