Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 06:56AM

Lots of controversy in the news media about this event the other day. Just wanted to bring up something the media hasn't really pointed out.

The tension began when a group of African Americans started preaching to American Indians. And what caught my interest was that what they were saying was the same nonsense found in the Book of Mormon.

You can see it in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3EC1_gcr34

"You are not savages. You are the children of God according to the Bible. You are the children of Israel. Before you started worshipping totem poles you was worshipping the true living God."

"And this is the reason why this land was taken away from you. Because you worshipped everything except the Most High. You worship every creation except the creator."

It wasn't just me that noticed the similarity. At about 2:20 an American Indian woman tells them "The Mormons say a lot of shit".

Anyway, those African Americans are part of a group called the Black Hebrew Israelites. They are extremists, their group is a hate group. Their Afrocentric theories rely on pseudo-archaeology just like Mormons do in their Book of Mormon.

It was an ugly scene when they confronted American Indians who were marching to bring awareness to murdered and missing women, to be told that they weren't really Indians, that they were from ancient Black Hebrews and that they caused the loss of their own lands because they stopped worshipping the true God.

Those African Americans went after the Catholics too, causing tension to grow with that group of school boys.

What a mess when nonsense preachings with no grounding in reality get spewed out in anger. Mormonism doesn't have a monopoly on the claim of ancient Hebrews in the Americas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 10:12AM

Thanks for the run down and details, mikemitchell. I get upset at the news really easily these days and avoid watching or reading. I mean, really upset and then can't let it go. I always end up knowing what's going on anyway somehow though.

But I caught some of that indigenous peoples march where the kid in the Red Tee with has his face in the older gentlemen's face being an ass. So disgusting. So many people have to shove their ways on others. I didn't realize how much more there was to all of that but glad to know. I'll have to get all my news from you from now on. Works well this way. :)

Date: January 21, 2019 10:13AM

Oh, I love knowing what the American Indian woman said about Mormons. Nice to know they are on to the crap about the "Laminite" thing.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 11:49AM

A longer video has come out that shows that the Catholic group were on the steps completely minding their own business and it was the "older gentleman" who walked across the street with some people from his group, approached the boy, and was beating the drum in the boy's face. The boy didn't do anything but stand there confused. He's getting a lot of hate for something that he didn't do.

Date: January 21, 2019 11:56AM

Thank you for that, Wally. I guess it's time for me to start watching the whole story again. I am just having such a hard time with the news.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 07:21PM

And don’t forgot how supportive the kids were being with the tomahawk chops.

And to think some have the gall to call these good kids entitled snowflakes.

Date: January 21, 2019 12:11PM

Now you have my mind spinning. I asked a couple of people at work and they had all seen the same clip and because of the look on the kid's face they all took as arrogance and they made the same assumption I did becasause that is all we saw. Makes me suspicious of everything and is a very good reminder that no matter what, I may never have the whole story.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 12:20PM

and subject to on-line harassment and threats. One Covington Catholic boy, who resembles the boy centered in the video but was not in Washington, was misidentified and doxxed, and has received death threats.

The teens behaved responsibly and peaceably. Martin Luther King would have approved. But they're white Catholic preppies who were at a pro-life march and wore MAGA hats, so it was natural for activists of a certain political persuasion to jump to conclusions. A lot of parents, schools, churches and institutions will think twice before letting their young people get politically involved, which may have been the point.

Date: January 21, 2019 12:22PM

Date: January 21, 2019 02:44PM

Those teens were being harassed by the Black Hebrew Israelites. The more I have watched the videos, the more I feel bad for them. I haven't seen video of it yet but I read that after the video stopped with the Omaha drummer, the Black Hebrew Israelites got into it again with those kids and said some pretty nasty things about the Catholic church. What a mess. The boys were waiting for their bus to pick them up where they were at.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 12:59PM

Although I'm probably to the left of most people on this board, this is also my understanding of what happened (because I'm honest ;-)

The problem was the "Black Hebrew Israelites" (whaaat?) who have some seriously crazy opinions, some of which are also downright dangerous to people around them, particularly women.

I don't agree with the kid's views, but he was not responsible for what happened and seemed totally out of his depth.

Tom in Paris

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 11:37AM

Not as taken as overrun. Exploited. Looted. Polluted...
Changed.

I'm guessing these American Africans are in their homeland.

"Ignorance doesn't go far... if you don't let it" M@t

Date: January 21, 2019 12:42PM

Black Hebrews are a small but interesting sect. They're the more extreme part of the "Afro-centric" (sp?) movement that had a bit of cache ten or fifteen years ago--that just as Africa is believed to be the beginning of human evolution, it was also the genesis of western civilization. Things like democracy, scientific inquiry, algebra, metallurgy, etc, supposedly, were first advanced in sub-Sahara Africa, but usurped by other (i.e. white) peoples later.

In the interest of academic diversity, these positions were given a certain allowance, and some professors taught courses on it. I haven't heard anything about them in quite a while. Just as there's no objective evidence to back up the BoM, there's not much to support Afrocentricism. Their advocates have similar defenses, "It just hasn't been found yet--and Africa's a very large place!" They also thrive on a sense of persecution and victimization.

Black Hebrews hold to this very strongly, which is why some of their statements to the white teens rant familiar to us. And kudos to the on-looker who pointed out the similarity to Mormonism!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 01:40PM

I haven't seen the comment about Mormonism yet. Is there a link?

Date: January 21, 2019 02:02PM

There's a lot of video on line. I'm not going to search for it, and I feel I'm done with this issue. But one woman responded to the Black Hebrews and said, "that's what the Mormons believe" (or teach). It's simply a similar mythology of lost civilizations whose "true history" has been suppressed. The Afrocentric/Black Hebrew "history" is also used to bolster the argument for reparations.

Date: January 21, 2019 02:09PM

Thanks. I'll look it up.

Agree with you on the stupidity of the mythology.

Date: January 21, 2019 02:39PM

Use the link in my opening post, look for it at about 2:20. An American Indian woman tells them "The Mormons say a lot of shit".

Date: January 21, 2019 03:15PM

Thanks, MM. I'm sorry for making you post that twice.

It's nice to see Mormonism become "a hiss and a byword . . . among all nations."

It's ironic that that portion of the BoM has proved prophetic!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2019 03:26PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: January 21, 2019 04:18PM

No problem. I find it interesting when I see things like what those African Americans were saying that are just like the Book of Mormon teachings. Helps me to keep perspective, that the Book of Mormon's ideas about American Indians aren't unique. It was made up with some pretty common ideas at the time it was written. And when I see those things being said by others now in the 21st century, it really comes out in its full ugliness. But that is just my take on it.

Date: January 21, 2019 06:24PM

I agree with your characterization.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 07:24PM

Wait. Slavery needs to be bolstered?

Date: January 21, 2019 03:20PM

Here's more video of the incident:

https://twitter.com/BreakingNLive/status/1087401654121627648

Doesn't have the Mormon remark.

We're learning that Nathan Phillips, the drum beater who claimed to be a Marine combat "Recon Ranger" vet in Vietnam, was too young to have served there at the time. He was 17 when the last US (Army) troops were pulled from Vietnam. Senator "Danang Dick" Blumenthal of Connecticut could not be reached for comment.

Date: January 21, 2019 04:11PM

I'm always cautious about what I see in the media. Nathan's actual words don't fit what gets said by reporters. Near as I can find, he uses the words that describe the Vietnam Era of 1964-1975. I haven't seen anywhere where he is quoted saying he was in combat in Vietnam. He seems to say things as they are and then the media makes more out of it.

This whole incident is a mess. I only posted because of the similarity of what those the Black Hebrew Israelites were saying to what the Book of Mormon teaches. Can you imagine Mormon missionaries saying those things to prospective American Indian converts? They wouldn't, but that makes it worse in my mind, because the Book of Mormon teaches those very things. Missionaries conceal the ugly teachings, coat them in sugar. But it is the same.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 06:00PM

Yes, this is a good example of "things may not be all they seem" as far as who was doing what.
I believe they were wrongly accused. I did notice they were not trying to distance themselves from Nathan if Nathan was the aggressor. It seems like a weird situation all around.

The part I find troubling is that a bus full of teen boys was sent to march for "pro-life" as if they deserve any opinion about women's choices.

If they don't like abortions, too bad they probably won't be getting adequate education from a Catholic school about birth control. Their only choice is to not boink girls- as if that's going to happen. I am concerned about religious schools indoctrinating boys about women's reproductive decisions.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 01:03PM

I'm with you, Dagny. I don't think I've ever heard of the catholic church organizing vast demonstrations to safeguard life on gun control, another medical issue which people's opinions have turned political.

Tom in Päris

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 09:47PM

The black Hebrew Israelites, another sect full of cookoo crazies. All confused about everything imaginable. They think Jesus was Black. But they are entertaining though.

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 10:16PM

mikemitchell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

(Responding here as I might reply to the preacher being quoted)

>
> "You are not savages.

I think they already know they're not savages, so I don't know whether the preacher should be thanked for this information.

> You are the children of God
> according to the Bible.

Again, if they're believers (many Native Americans are Christian of one type or another) they already know (believe) this information.

> You are the children of
> Israel. Before you started worshipping totem poles
> you was worshipping the true living God."

Technically they don't worship totem poles, the poles serve various social and cultural functions in certain tribes. This is basic info that the Black Hebrews could easily look up.

> "And this is the reason why this land was taken
> away from you. Because you worshipped everything
> except the Most High. You worship every creation
> except the creator."

Sounds like the same old guilt trip -- bad things happen to you because you don't worship/believe exactly the right way.

> Anyway, those African Americans are part of a
> group called the Black Hebrew Israelites. They are
> extremists, their group is a hate group. Their
> Afrocentric theories rely on pseudo-archaeology
> just like Mormons do in their Book of Mormon.
>
> It was an ugly scene when they confronted American
> Indians who were marching to bring awareness to
> murdered and missing women, to be told that they
> weren't really Indians, that they were from
> ancient Black Hebrews and that they caused the
> loss of their own lands because they stopped
> worshipping the true God.

It's funny because the Black Israelites think they're trying to "raise up" the Natives by tying them to a specific ancient mythology, but that they'd fallen away from it. Maybe they believe the same cause was behind slavery too, that Africans had fallen away from what the Black Israelites believe to be the true form of worship or something.

It's insulting to the Native Americans who already have their own origin mythos, naturally. You're right that this is exactly the same thing Mormonism has tried to do.

In an ironic way all of this is indicative of the power of the Biblical narrative has had throughout Europe and America. Europeans, Africans, and Native Americans all have had and continue to have their own mythos and origin stories all of which get demonized or falsified in the fanatic drive to prove that everyone is really an "Israelite" in their imagination.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 02:40AM

Just hearing that man yelling gave me a sore throat. Had to turn it off.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 10:48PM

The boys (in MAGA [me am grossly arrogant] hats) seemed out of place. Not surprising. No purpose. No discipline. Unsupervised and looking - and acting - like LDS youth, or any other mob , or loosely knit dudes, looking for a fight!, or anything so-called exciting. Many were disrespectful, even taunting, rather than accepting, and even honoring. Looked like a powder keg.

Not many there were MTOB [minding their own business]. All too common these days

Posted by: fakenoos ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 12:37PM

I guess you didn't see the entire video.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.