Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 10:39PM

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/10/religious-trauma-syndrome-organized-religion-leads-mental-health-problems/

Dr. Marlene Winell is a human development consultant in the San Francisco Area. She is also the daughter of Pentecostal missionaries. This combination has given her work an unusual focus. For the past twenty years she has counseled men and women in recovery from various forms of fundamentalist religion including the Assemblies of God denomination in which she was raised. Winell is the author of Leaving the Fold – A Guide for Former Fundamentalists and Others Leaving their Religion, written during her years of private practice in psychology. Over the years, Winell has provided assistance to clients whose religious experiences were even more damaging than mine. Some of them are people whose psychological symptoms weren’t just exacerbated by their religion, but actually caused by it.

Two years ago, Winell made waves by formally labeling what she calls “Religious Trauma Syndrome” (RTS) and beginning to write and speak on the subject for professional audiences. When the British Association of Behavioral and Cognitive Psychologists published a series of articles on the topic, members of a Christian counseling association protested what they called excessive attention to a “relatively niche topic.” One commenter said, “A religion, faith or book cannot be abuse but the people interpreting can make anything abusive.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: darla ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 11:39PM

here is another link on religious trauma syndrome...i have posted it in other threads and i hope for those seriously affected by this will realize, like i just now have realized, that this is what is going on with their health and mental health.

https://www.babcp.com/review/RTS.aspx

i am in counseling now and after 4 regular sessions today i started EMDR therapy and i think it is will help. my counselor is a young woman and she is wonderful and i feel like i may get somewhat better although i don't expect the trauma from giving half of my life to the cult will ever be something i can completely get over. several decades in a cult really did me in.
https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/emdr-what-is-it#1

what is all comes down to is post traumatic stress disorder. in my case it is so damaging because the life i knew has been taken away via finding out it was all a lie.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 01:13AM

being raised by a physically and verbally abusive, alcoholic mother for 18 years and then getting into an abusive first marriage for 17 years. Somewhere in the midst of all this , I got myself into the Mormon Church.

They caught me when I was neck-deep in debt, constantly in fear of my nasty now-ex, and still continuing full time in a Federal job. If anybody could actually "drown" in PTSD symptoms, I was a prime candidate.

I found the most marvelous therapist who practiced EMDR, and we clicked. Now, mostly recovered and happy in another marriage, I'm a much healthier woman than the one who stumbled and crept out of the last one.

This clinician, EMDR, and I clicked, and I healed. It was the right combination for me. At 71, I've got my act more together than during most of the previous times. EMDR and this particular clinician opened everything up and guided me along the road.

Unfortunately, the marvelous therapist died of diabetes. After her, I couldn't find anyone that I could connect with as we had, but maybe I don't need to. I'm doing very well. For the first time in decades, I feel more or less NORMAL!

It can happen! Just keep searching.Wishing you the best!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 03:24AM

as a mormon, and not just over what happened with my marriage. Mormonism was brutal to me, as it was to most of my family.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 07:02AM

What the title of the article actually was

"Religious Trauma Syndrome: How SOME organized religion leads to mental health problems"

The focus was not on generalized organized religion, but fundamentalism.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 08:27AM

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 09:11AM

Yeah but that is an important word. Its absence substantially changes the meaning of the sentence.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.