Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 07:05PM

Something sometimes highlighted here but not enough in my opinion is the fact that this site, the participants in it, and the people who created it were fundamentally wrong about the truths promoted by Mormonism and lived to tell their tales here.

Realizing you are fundamentally wrong about your beliefs is huge. No one who hasn't passed through that eye of a needle with their camel intact is far richer for their experience but probably have some severely shaved humps and bumps.

It can be severely unsettling to severely traumatic depending upon the person and yet to come through the realization that you were wrong to a core-shaking degree is anything but a ride on the old roller-coaster at Lagoon.

I applaud you for your realization and the strength you've shown me in your resolution to the truth about how wrong Mormon truths are. It is not a trip for the faint of heart. The Mormon Monkey you've thrown from your backs had more than two arms. Its "Arm of The Lord" had its hands in your wallet, your underwear, over your eyes, ears, and mouth, and was whispering a holy lot of nothing in your head whilst beating a burning into your belly.

So kudos to you exmos!

I'm reminded of one story in particular which struck me to the core. Tom Phillips went about a far as a Mormon could go and when he looked for evidence to help him spread Mormon truth found it lacking. Imagine all the LDS General Authorities who would have even taken the time to look into the evidence let alone tell themselves the truth about it - nothing exists to support Mormonism.

And not that I'm even putting down those purveyors of paltry purchase for ontological truth. People are designed this way.

"Whether it’s [to believe anything on insufficient evidence] unethical or not is kind of beside the point, because people are going to be wrong and they’re going to believe things on insufficient evidence."
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/03/this-article-wont-change-your-mind/519093/

What the people here and Tom did was the exact opposite of Boyd Packer and for this "change of heart" you all deserve my respect.

Packer was the real "natural man" in his invective against "not useful truth" but he was just doing what the Mormon Monkey wanted.

"But from an evolutionary perspective, there are more important things than truth."
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/03/this-article-wont-change-your-mind/519093/

And for this I hope he is remembered as a man of great error that he never realized. You all did. I did. And though it was hard like the stupid phrase used to console Mormon missionaries - "it was worth it."

The fruit of that tree was rotten. The prophet has no revelations. The organization you once thought held something true was a lie and though you at one time were wrong it was an accomplishment to realize and act on it. Hurray for you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 07:08PM

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 07:18PM

“The Mormon Monkey you've thrown from your backs had more than two arms.”

It was more like an alien face hugger.

Date: February 01, 2019 11:43AM

The Mormon gods are extra terrestrials...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2019 11:44AM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 11:49AM

I say we go back to the ship and nuke ‘em from space.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 11:51AM

It's the only way to be sure.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 07:30PM

Elder Berry Wrote:

> Realizing you are fundamentally wrong about your beliefs is huge.

Yes! And realizing that I was fed a bunch of hooey and swallowed it was the also bad.

Thank you for this post, Elder Berry!

Date: February 01, 2019 11:44AM

But you survived! Congrats!

Posted by: Slipperyslope ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 10:39PM

Thank you, Elder Berry. I needed this validation today. I get tired of being alone in my knowledge among the people I care about. My voice is silenced except for a therapist I visit. I agree with your comments. I was so wrong and now I’m aware of truth. It’s just so difficult for many of us. The board keeps me sane.

Date: February 01, 2019 11:45AM

Slipperyslope Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The board keeps me sane.

Me too.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 10:53PM

>>"Nothing that ridiculous could be all bad."

/insert big speech about dichotomous--i.e. black-and-white--thinking...

Don't get me wrong; I know the hell my grandfather went through after leaving the church following a mission in the 1920's. I've also watched my father, now in his 80's, still struggling with some of the "hangovers" of growing up in the faith even though he quit believing in his 20's. Finally, I've got my own scars just from growing up in Zion; I was actually the only one in my family who wasn't baptized (nobody believes these days, however).

Too, the larger reality is many here do have relatives who are still believers; I can say for myself that two of my closest friends are still very LDS (both Democrats, however :).

As I see it, the art is getting along.

Date: February 01, 2019 11:51AM

SL Cabbie Wrote:
> Finally, I've got my own scars just from growing
> up in Zion; I was actually the only one in my
> family who wasn't baptized (nobody believes these
> days, however).

I consider it the same regardless of water immersion or just cultural.

You've dealt with a leviathan and in the fight have become stronger. Missionaries routinely ask strangers to go through a core beliefs change and expect that it can be done in a cultural vacuum full of freedom of belief. This can't be downplayed enough by the Mormon organization.

They fail to see their effects upon a person's core.

> As I see it, the art is getting along.

Great way to put it. Artists against their current and historical con artists.

Posted by: Alan XL ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 05:54AM

I have read your well thought out posts many times but only today did I get your clever name of Elder Berry. What a dumb shit Aussie I am.

Date: February 01, 2019 11:52AM

Alan XL Wrote:
> What a dumb shit Aussie I am.

You saw the skid marks in the holy garment. That isn't a dumb shit.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 12:18PM

Is this another Elder Berry Whine?

Date: February 01, 2019 12:32PM

Yes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.