Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GONE4GOOD4EVER ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 02:20PM

THIS ABSOLUTELY MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL AND MY BLOOD PRESSURE GO UP!!!!!!!!!

when i joined the church 40 years ago the missionaries told me we were not supposed to watch tv on sunday, especially sports.

here we have this guy playing making Sh----loads of money and getting an article on the church LDS Living page. is this sh-- for real? really? REALLY? YES, I AM SCREAMING REALLY.

they say people leave the church but they can't leave it alone....i wonder why. are we supposed to get royally screwed, scammed, cheated, lied to and robbed and we are supposed to shut up. is that called turning the other cheek?

anybody else out there get boiling blood over stuff like this? i bet there's someone out there.

http://www.ldsliving.com/How-One-Super-Bowl-Bound-Latter-day-Saint-Changes-the-Lives-of-Adopted-Kids-Shares-His-Faith/s/90182?utm_source=ldsliving&utm_medium=email

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Snickers ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 02:35PM

They are slowly changing the definition of the Sabbath.

Russ has recently said that the Sabbath is "... I no longer needed lists of dos and don’ts."

Found here, scroll down towards the end:

https://www.lds.org/topics/sabbath?lang=eng

The Sabbath is no longer a list of what you can and can't do...

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 05:02PM

Well, that is a step in the right direction. Although now they assign homework.

Posted by: robinsaintcloud ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 03:59PM

I used to buy into the the BS that I shouldn't shop or go to any businesses on sunday. Well, I was told, if no one shopped on sunday then the store would not have to be open and you would not be forcing some one else to work on sunday. Well, I can't tell you how many times I or someone else rushed to the store on sunday to buy some bread for the sacrament. Now I love going to a store on sunday, especially in utah. I don't want the person working there to think that they are wasting their time. What sign do I want to make to god with my sunday activity choices? I want to say that I appreciate all the modern conveniences and entertainment I can enjoy on what ever day of the week I want.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 03:09PM

She worked 6 days a week and would have liked to go out to dinner on Sunday. However, she had to cook and serve (I cleaned up) all day on Sunday.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 04:22PM

I moved to Las Vegas in 1998, a couple of years after I left the church. There was always stores open for anything you'd want and I never gave a thought to not going because it was the sabbath.(See I don't even capitalize the word).

One Sunday, after I'd been there a couple of years, I was grocery shopping near my apartment which was on the far west section of Sahara Ave.

I turned the corner with my cart and saw Stake President..... and his sweet wife, Sister....... and 2 of their 4-5 kids. They weren't buying much. Sister recognized me I think because she and my ex-wife had been leaders of Girls Camp, at least 2 different times and my ex told me what a fun woman she was to be around.

I said to her, finding everything you need? She said to the effect, Yes, we're visiting Stake Presidents......aunt and uncle who live not far from here and they needed some things for the Sunday barbecue.

I told her it was good to see her; I'm not entirely sure that he knew who I was, which was ok.

A few months later, I was back in Sandy UT visiting and at my ex's house with kids for birthday party of our granddaughter.

She said that Sister.....had told her a few weeks back that she'd run into me in a grocery store in Las Vegas. Nothing said about if they were embarrassed that I saw them (and I truly didn't care).

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 05:22PM

Sadly, I used to worry about crap like that. Even my TBM mom, who spanked me for embarrassing her at church, didn't seem to care about shopping on Sunday. We ran into all types of church members at the supermarket after church was over. Both shopping carts would be filled up, but mom always made it a point to grab the Sanka coffee can out of her cart to tell the other sister about her dear coffee drinking mother that was visiting. My TBM eventually gave up the fight of drinking the de-caffeinated coffee when sisters flat out told her that you shouldn't be drinking ANY type of coffee.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 06:14PM

This is the second thread on this subject this week, and both the OPs are shocked, shocked, I tell you, to find out Mormons whose jobs require Sunday work, work on Sunday.

This has always been the case. Lots of jobs require either regularly scheduled (police, nurses, etc) or intermittent (plumbers, etc) Sunday work. Mormons have held these jobs, and have worked on Sundays. How could anyone not have known that?

When I first started at BYU in the 1960s, at least the golf team (Johnny Miller was on it at the time) played on Sundays, since that was when the major tournaments were held, even for college golf. Somewhere in the late 1970s, if I recall correctly, BYU got a sanctimonious bug up its butt and refused to play in any post-season sporting events that were held on Sundays.

But when it comes to professionals working on Sunday as part of their job, LDS Inc is OK with that. Always has been, as far as I can tell. They may not be thrilled, but they will take your tithing.

Posted by: GONE4GOOD4EVER ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 07:51PM

about working on sunday, i just know what i was told when i was talking cult discussions in 1979. the two very nice and even very younger, missionaries told me "we don't work on sunday"

i asked what if your job requires it and they said get a job that you don't have to work on sunday. ok, so the whole world shuts down on sunday because of the cult.

whatever.

i was told a lot of lies and am now in counseling. have been out for quite a few years but the damage lingers. had i known the "cult's elite" can work on sunday, I WOULD NEVER HAVE JOINED. THEY HID THAT RED FLAG FROM ME.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.