Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormon Nomore ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 12:34AM

I once found myself too tired to drive on, so I dropped into a house in Colorado City, famous for polygamist families. The husband came to the gate and after I explained my need, let me in to sleep in the garage. He brought me pillows, blankets and one of his wives carried in a hot meal that was plain, but nourishing. In the morning, I continued onward with a different opinion of these people.

Have uou interacted with the outcasts? Do you admire some things about their journey? Do you also assume every minority community is likely as decent, kind and helpful to a wanderer?

I am now reading a book of a guy who walked through Afghanistan, then wrote about it in life-altering detail.

People can be cool, when they are associating in non-formal ways.

Share your experience, won't you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 11:36AM

Story sounds fishy.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 11:58AM

When I'm too tired to drive on, I pull over to a rest stop, or another safe place, put my seat back, and take a short nap. Or on a very long trip, I know it's time to find a motel. Unless you are in a dangerous situation, why would you ask a perfect stranger for lodging?

Date: February 03, 2019 03:01AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I'm too tired to drive on, I pull over to a
> rest stop, or another safe place, put my seat
> back, and take a short nap. Or on a very long
> trip, I know it's time to find a motel. Unless you
> are in a dangerous situation, why would you ask a
> perfect stranger for lodging?

After I got out of High School in California, I rode my Schwinn 10-speed to Salt Lake City. Took no money or gear. Asked strangers for simple food on the way. Learned that most people back then gladly exchanged food for adventure details.

Today, prolly not.

Sadly.

Date: February 03, 2019 02:56AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> Story sounds fishy.

Left Phoenix around 2pm. Realized I'd arrive too late to stay with friends in St. George. Stopped at the nearest house to the highway. Got lucky.

I was on my way to SLC, between jobs. Car too small to sleep in.

True story. Sad that lies are the default setting these days.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 01:18PM

Well the first thing I thought of was Bob Dylan's masterpiece "Motorpsycho Nightmare" about another weary traveler seeking shelter.

And then I remembered the famous tale of my great gandpapa's miraculous conversion when his wagon broke down on the outskirts of SLC on his way to Oregon.

Of the two faith promoting stories I'd say mine was the more credible.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 01:38PM

Me thinks if you tried that walk in Afghanistan you wouldn't be walking out the way you came.

Dropping into a house because you were too tired to drive on in Colorado City?

I have to agree with Dave. Sounds on the fishy side. Besides, why would you consider them outcasts because of their religion?

I don't.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 07:18PM

To be frank, I don't look down on the polygamists. I see the world with so many problems, Drugs being smuggled around the country, so many confused people, so much government dependency. For everything from welfare, to news, to approved knowledge.

If they have a good Man then I'm sure it can work reasonably well. But the trouble they have is the same one that the Duggars had (with 19 kids).

The Duggars had a good father but with scores of teenagers living together sleeping in the same room etc, there is bound to be some kind of abuse that's going to happen. No matter how righteous they are. Some one's going to get fondled.

But other than that, polygamy is fine.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 07:58PM

You do realize that the largest source of income for the polygamist groups is welfare, right?

Date: February 03, 2019 02:44AM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
> You do realize that the largest source of income
> for the polygamist groups is welfare, right?

You do realize that I moved to the Philippines to avoid paying my fair share for these deadbeats, right?

https://youtu.be/B2BInu6a3Q4

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.