Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 11:47PM

October is here and Halloween is coming, the one time of the year it is socially acceptable to love horror. But with the Morg restrictions on R-rated films, as well as being a horror nut, I've decided to list some films exmos can put on their "To Watch" list in time for Halloween.
WARNING: I'm a horror fan, so this post may end up Benson length.

The Classics:
Psycho (1960): Probably Alfred Hitchcock's most famous film. Based on the book by Robert Bloch, which was inspired by the real case of Ed Gein. Marion Crane (Janet Leigh) ends up driving off and stopping at the Bates Motel, after which she seems to vanish.The shower scene is one of the most iconic scenes in movie history and Anthony Perkins played the role of Norman Bates perfectly.

Halloween (1978): The film that all slasher films try to imitate. Years earlier, Michael Myers murdered his older sister on Halloween night and was locked up in an asylum. Years later, he escapes and terrorizes babysitters on Halloween. In addition to directing the film,John Carpenter also composed the iconic theme from the film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLFx30Ijiq0
Halloween started the tropes of teenagers killed by a figure, the low survival rate of characters who have sex in a movie, and the "final girl" (Laurie, played by Jamie Lee Curtis). Side note-- the 2007 remake by Rob Zombie is optional viewing. If you can, see the original.

The Exorcist (1973): "What an excellent day for an exorcism." possessed Regan (Linda Blair) growls to Father Karras. While some of the atheists on this board will probably give me grief for adding a film about demonic possession, the atmosphere in the film, the effects (vomiting scene will not be linked), and Blair acting make for a movie that will scare the crap out of you.

An American Werewolf in London (1981): John Landis (dir. "Animal House") combines horror and comedy in this classic about two Americans backpacking in England. They wander through the moors and are attacked by a werewolf. With some hilarious moments (dead Jack's visits to David), this film also features the best werewolf transformation in a movie EVER.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975): While not a true horror movie, this film has some of the tropes present in horror while also having more than a few catchy songs in the soundtrack. While not commercially successful, "Rocky Horror" gained a cult following who still have public screenings with the audience reacting to the film's lines. And the public screenings are the only way to watch it. No private screening will ever beat the audience shouting at the screen and doing the Time Warp in the aisles.

Evil Dead II (1987): While it is a sequel, you do not have to see "The Evil Dead" to get "Evil Dead II." Director Sam Raimi and star Bruce Campbell give the perfect combination of horror and comedy in the film...
Okay, if watching this clip doesn't make you want to watch this movie, I don't know what's wrong with you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIJTvEo4N4Q

Hellraiser (1987): A puzzle box, a corpse demanding blood, an unhappy marriage, beings who combine pleasure and pain. The first full length film, and best known work, of Clive Barker (who also wrote "The Hellbound Heart," which the film is based on). Clare Higgins's performance as Julia, a woman committing murder to bring back her lover Frank and slowly going mad, is phenomenal and Doug Bradley as the lead Cenobite (called Pinhead in later films) make this a must see. "We have such sights to show you."

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974): Tobe Hooper's most famous, and pretty controversial, film. Like "Psycho," this also draws inspiration from Ed Gein in the décor of the house. A series of grave robberies lead some kids to rural Texas to check on their grandfather's remains and house. They wander off and encounter Leatherface, a former slaughterhouse worker who slaughters humans. They later find out that Leatherface is not the only one who works in meat.
WARNING: The 2003 remake should be avoided.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984): The parents of Elm Street killed child murderer Freddy Kruger to keep their kids safe. But now, Kruger (Robert Englund in his most famous role) stalks and kills them in their dreams. From the late, great Wes Craven, this is a classic of the slasher genre. And yes, Glenn was played by Johnny Depp.

The Silence of the Lambs (1991): A "psychological thriller" (a term used by tossers who don't want to admit horror can be good) about FBI agent Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster) who has to track down a serial killer. But to do so, she needs the help of another serial killer, Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins in an amazingly disturbing role). The killer Buffalo Bill is almost a background character while the main focus is on Clarice trying to find him and Lecter getting in Clarice's mind and escaping. Hopkins makes a genuinely disturbing Lecter through his calm voice and not blinking once on camera (it's creepier in the movie). He earned the Best Actor Oscar in this movie, just as Foster earned Best Actress.

The Thing (1982): While technically a remake of "The Thing From Another World," John Carpenter's version is by far creepier and better done. Researchers in Antarctica end up confronted with an alien life form that perfectly imitates other life forms. The outpost, wintered in, are trapped with the thing and not sure who's real and who's an imitation. Combining horror and elements of a mystery, they have to figure out who's the thing before it can spread to the rest of the world.

Friday the 13th (1980): The one that started the franchise. Camp counselors are fixing up Camp Crystal Lake, aka "Camp Blood" and are killed off by a mysterious figure, later revealed to be Pamela Voorhees (played by Betsy Palmer), who blames the counselors for her son's drowning. While Jason didn't appear until the sequel, Palmer as the original killer in "Friday the 13th" gives a creepy performance worth watching. The sequels are not as good and the main reason to watch the later sequels is for Kane Hodder's performance as Jason (parts 7-10).
WARNING: Like "Texas Chainsaw," this film also has a remake that should be avoided. Shop vacs suck less than the "Friday the 13th" remake.

Misery (1990): Based on the book by Stephen King. Paul Sheldon (James Caan) gets in a car accident and has to face the most terrifying thing he could ever encounter--his number one fan Annie Wilkes (a wonderfully deranged role by Kathy Bates). Sheldon thought he was rescued out of kindness, but he ends up having to write a new "Misery" novel that brings back Misery Chastain while he's Annie's prisoner who may not get out alive. A faithful adaptation of King's book, although there are some differences (cue fans ranting about "in the book she cut off his foot with an axe, she didn't break his cockadoodie ankles!"). Still worth watching for Bate's portrayal of Annie.

More advanced viewing:

Saw (2004): Two men wake up chained in an abandoned restroom and find out they're chosen to play a game. One of them has to die or the other's family will be killed. Live or die, they have to choose. Nothing is known about the two at the beginning, but more about them, and the man who designed the game is revealed over the course of the film. Based on a short film director James Wan made years ago, this film spawned a series of films. The first two are worth watching, but after that, they start to get kind of stupid.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010): A parody of the "killer hillbilly" film ("Deliverance," "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre"), "Tucker and Dale" focuses on college kids partying in the woods and two hillbillies trying to fix up a cabin that they just bought. After one of the girls has an accident while swimming, the kids think she was kidnapped while Tucker and Dale (the two hillbillies) think the college kids are in a suicide pact since the attempts at "rescue" end in impalement or throwing themselves into a wood chipper. For those with a dark sense of humor.

Ju-on: The Grudge (2002): After a murder-suicide, a house in Tokyo ends up haunted by the family now spirits who kill anyone who sets foot in the house. Formatted as an anthology of those who fall victim to the house, director Takeshi Shimizu manages to creep out audiences.
There is also a remake for American audiences (The Grudge [2004]). Shimizu directed both the original and the Americanized version, so the 2004 version is acceptable. But if you can, watch the original Japanese version.

The Devil's Backbone aka El Espinazo del Diablo (2001): Set during the Spanish Civil War, "The Devil's Backbone" take place in a church functioning as an orphanage. The film follows Carlos, a boy who is left there after his father died fighting fascists who has to face the other kids, a threat from other factions in the war, and Santi, the ghost of a boy who died in the orphanage. From Guillermo del Toro (yes, I am a bit of a fanboy), "Backbone" focuses on the horrors of war and how the living can be more terrifying than the dead. Be warned- unless you speak fluent Spanish, you will be reading subtitles.

Candyman (1992): Adapted from the short story "The Forbidden" by Clive Barker. Helen (Virginia Madsen) is a grad student studying folklore who hears about a figure terrorizing Cabrini Green (a real area of the projects in Chicago). She finds out that Candyman (the very talented and underrated Tony Todd) is a legend come to life and wants her to be his victim. The film is very much about urban legends, Candyman's hook hand from "the Hook," summoning him by saying his name in a mirror five times is inspired by "Bloody Mary," and castrating a child in a public restroom comes from an urban legend Barker heard from his grandmother. There are great scares in this movie, from the stories we tell to fears in the real world.

Ginger Snaps (2000): Werewolf film, meet body horror. Ginger Fitzgerald (Katherine Isabelle) is attacked by a creature in the woods and starts to change. At first, everyone thinks it's puberty, but her sister Bridgette (Emily Perkins) starts thinking "lycanthrope." After Ginger killed a neighbor's dog, things start to go out of control. Full of great dialogue (although some would hate the carpet F-bombs) and acting, this film has a cult following for a reason.

Cube (1997): A group of people wake up and find themselves in a series of strange rooms. Some of the rooms have traps that take effort to figure out and they have to try and escape. No one knows why they are locked up, nobody except a designer has any idea where they are, no answer is given. For fans of Kafka or well done independent horror.

The Evil Dead (1981): Sam Raimi's first full length film. Kids take a trip to a cabin and find a book bound in skin and inked in blood. They also find a recording of the book being read aloud, which summons a force not of this world. This film is not really recommended for everyone due to the-uh-scene in the woods (Sam, what were you thinking?). I would encourage aspiring filmmakers to study how "Evil Dead" was made (they raised the money and made it on their own instead of begging at a studio).

The Blair Witch Project (1999): Several students decide to make a documentary about a local legend. They wander into the woods and only their footage is found. Normally, I don't care for found footage movies as they tend to be boring ("Paranormal Activity") or make me too motion sick to keep watching ("V/H/S"), but "Blair Witch" is actually pretty well done. Somebody actually took the time to make the camera steady and the close up near the end is perfect for setting the mood for what's to come.

Scream (1996): The set-up is that there's someone in a mask killing teens. What's different is that the teens know the tropes of slasher movies. Wes Craven's meta slasher uses the tropes while also poking fun at them. Perfect for fans of the slasher genre or those who want to learn the rules of surviving a slasher (1. No sex. 2. No drinking or drugs. 3. Never say "I'll be right back." You won't be.)

The Cabin in the Woods (2012): Another meta horror film, this time about teens at a cabin. Five college kids take a trip to a cabin where they find some stuff in the cellar. What they don't know is, they are being monitored and manipulated by a secret organization who are using them as ritual sacrifices. The tropes of stereotypical horror characters (The Whore, The Athlete, The Fool, The Scholar, and The Virgin) are required sacrifices to appease the Ancient Ones and keep them from rising. But two of the kids end up finding out about the organization and confront it. From Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon.

Advanced Horror
WARNING--Only advanced horror lovers should ever attempt to watch these movies:
House of 1000 Corpses (2003): This is a very polarizing film- either people love it or they hate it. I'm one of the messed up people who like it. Rob Zombie's directorial debut follows four people on a road trip who hear about local legend Dr. Satan and try to find him. They end up victims of the Firefly family. Bill Mosely is comically psychotic as Otis and Sheri Moon's laugh will be in your nightmares.

Cannibal Holocaust (1980): The original found footage film and one of the most controversial films ever made. The film is about a documentary crew with a tendency to manipulate for more dramatic footage and get on the bad side of cannibal tribes they were filming. The on-screen violence lead to the film being banned in several countries and director Ruggero Deodato was accused of making a snuff film. Not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach. Also, animals were killed on screen, so animal lovers will want to avoid this movie.

Audition (1999): This film is the reason that one of the biggest names associated with extreme horror is Takeshi Miike. A widower who works in film production ends up having "auditions" to find a woman to date. In America, this would be the start of a romantic comedy. In Japan, this is the start of a very disturbing horror film. Through the auditions, he meets Asami, a charming former dancer. Most of the movie seems a bit slow, with a few "behind the sofa" moments (The laundry bag in Asami's apartment rearing up after the phone rings) but the last 15 minutes may leave audiences traumatized. This is NOT a film for new horror fans; some advanced horror fans can barely make it through "Audition."

Are there any other posters would recommend? Any I missed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 11:55PM

That's a good list!

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 12:13AM

I'm adding:

Shaun of the Dead

The Shining

The Ring

Let the Right One In (Swedish - for real. The American one is not bad)

Rosemary's Baby

The Omen

28 Days Later

The Sixth Sense

Carrie

They Live

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 12:14AM by Beth.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 12:39AM

I second Let the Right One In, Swedish version.

Also, Never Let Me Go. Dystopian, but horror in its own way.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 02:13AM

Oh, Beth, I like your list. I second it. Might I add Pumpkinhead? It's a classic with all the elements: A cabin in the woods, young adults in danger, a relentless evil, frightened hillbillies, witchery, great special effects and Lance Henricksen in what may be his best role. It's a nightmare of a movie, and it's based on the poem, "Pumpkinhead," by Ed Justin.

Date: October 02, 2018 02:59AM

I saw that movie. The effects and design of "Pumpkinhead" were awesome (Stan Winston directed it, so that makes sense). And Lance Henrickson was great in it. I'm kind of embarrassed about not having it in the list now.

And if memory serves, the poem is quoted in the movie when the hillbilly kids first mention Pumpkinhead.

Date: October 02, 2018 03:32AM

You're correct, the poem is quoted in the movie. I just love it. By the way, your list and comments rock!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 03:33AM by donbagley.

Date: October 02, 2018 04:00AM

Thank you!

Date: October 02, 2018 12:27AM

Phantasm

Alien

The Amityville Horror

The Fly

The Serpent and the Rainbow

Pet Sematary

Cape Fear

10 Cloverfield Lane

Date: October 02, 2018 12:35AM

Thanks for listing some of the ones I forgot to add.

I haven't seen "Let the Right One In," "Cape Fear," and "The Serpent and the Rainbow" yet, but they're on my "To Watch" list.

Date: October 02, 2018 12:46AM

I saw Blair Witch in the movie theater, and YIKES!

I had a HUGE crush on the American Werewolf in London guy (we had it on Betamax!) O_o

I haven't seen any of your Advanced Horror movies, so I'll check those out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 12:46AM by Beth.

Date: October 02, 2018 12:51AM

Just be careful with the advanced horror.

I'm not sure where you can watch "House of 1000 Corpses," but I know Shudder has "Cannibal Holocaust" and "Audition" is available on Amazon.

Date: October 02, 2018 03:38AM

Phantasm. When you look at the plot, you realize this movie is completely unpredictable. One time I was watching it with some friends, and one guy hadn't seen it. He kept predicting things that never happened, and he insisted on betting me a dollar on one point. I told him I'd seen it before, and he was wrong, but he wouldn't listen. He ended up handing me the buck. Go figure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 03:39AM by donbagley.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 08:44AM

My brother and I barely agree on anything, but we agree Phantasm is the creepiest s*** ever! We saw it together many years ago, and we still talk about it!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 08:33AM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_Soldiers_(film)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX9S3hdgZ5g

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 08:35AM by anybody.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 10:37AM

scary exmo thred is scary ~

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 11:28AM

We need a Mormon horror movie.

THE ENDOWMENT
Do It for The Dead

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 02:14PM by kathleen.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 12:52AM

Midnight at the temple...

Skeletons on the other side of the veil! The sacrament is wiggling and the water is blood!

Throats and bowels are slashed!!

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 01:23AM

"Bad Bishop" staring Chipace (like Harvey Keitel in Bad Lieutenant or Billy Bob Thornton in Bad Santa).

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 01:50AM

And the ghost outfits!!

Oh, the fun!

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 10:44AM

The Endowment sounds more like a John Grisham novel.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 07:14PM

A comedic horror parody is Saturday the 14th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_the_14th

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 07:30PM

Sleepy Hollow - not too scary but good for a date ...

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 11:20PM

The Innocents:

A young governess for two children becomes convinced that the house and grounds are haunted.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055018/

Based on the book by Henry James, The Turn of the Screw. A must read imho. There have been several versions of it made over the years but I am old and like the old one.

The Haunting of Hill House:

A parapsychologist looking for proof of the supernatural takes a group of young volunteers for a stay in Hill House, a creaky old mansion with a tragic history. Is the house really haunted?

By Shirley Jackson. The edition with the forward by Laura Miller is best as it really gives quite a bit of insight to the type of horror it is. It is the same kind of horror as The Turn of the Screw.

Several movies about it over the years.

To this day, this one scares the crap out of me. I am trying to work up the courage to read it. I can't think it could be scarier than the original movie!

The Bad Seed:

A housewife suspects that her seemingly perfect eight-year-old daughter is a heartless killer.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048977/

Book by William March

The Woman in Black:

Another Great House story. Several different film versions.

Book by Susan Hill. EVERYTHING she wrote is worth the read.

The Boy:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3882082/

An American nanny is shocked that her new English family's boy is actually a life-sized doll. After she violates a list of strict rules, disturbing events make her believe that the doll is really alive.

Better than I expected.

Crimson Peak:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimson_Peak

Worth the watch.

I am more of a horror reader and want to read ALL of these!

https://www.unboundworlds.com/2018/09/the-100-best-horror-books-of-all-time/?ref=PRHEDC4CBB95D&aid=randohouseinc26224-20&linkid=PRHEDC4CBB95D

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 11:37PM

most of the other ones I like are already mentioned.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 01:17PM

With Christopher Lee as the innocently named Lord Summerisle. Britt Ekland is absolutely bewitching, pun intended.

Heads up, Dave: I think you'll love the ending!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.