Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 01:41PM

Wasn't it Boyd Packer who said, "The truth is not always useful."? Does that mean we should only tell the truth if it’s useful?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 01:57PM

Mr. Pecker wasn't wrong, not all truths are useful. Its just that you don't expect willful dishonesty from Jesus's special guy.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 04:14PM

Truth: One man's usefulness is another mans worry.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 03:11PM

The answer is "yes." Packer said that in a speech to Church Educational System employees, people who would in the course of their work teach Mormon history.

He wanted them to teach the official version of the truth, not the real truth.*

*See, for example, George Orwell, 1984.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 03:16PM

Mormons prefer their truth to be "truthie." Unlike regular truth, "truthiness" is always useful. Mormons like their facts malleable.

Posted by: Pompous Windbag ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 03:23PM

Yep! "Do what is right (for your purposes), let the consequence follow..." If God won't help Himself, someone has to help Him!

On another occasion, the Right Reverend Holy Apostle Packer said, "I do that voodoo that I do to screw you, you poo-poo!" At least I think that's what I heard.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 07:32PM

The only meaning of "truth" that the MormonCult recognizes is what it declares it to be, what it says it is.

And pray, what then does the cult declare truth to be? Whatever "the" cult wants it to be on that particular day, month, hour or minute.

Truth, in Mormon definition, is spiritual and divine in nature and can only be defined by the elites of the cult. At the elites will, it is changeable and malleable. Then, it follows, of course, that the members' responsibility is to realize this is how it works and, by their actions of submission, obey. Finding or discovering truth on their own is definitely not allowed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2019 07:34PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: felix ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 07:39PM

Both truth and honesty take a back seat to "stay the course" and "doubt your doubts".

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 08:17PM

Truth: "I don't know that we teach it. I don't know that we emphasize it..."

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 11:58PM

A Mormon truth: Since Russia doesn't allow missionaries, when we send missionaries to Russia we'll call them 'volunteers'.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.