Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 10:33PM

My mom had an aunt that was 94. She was like Russ. She was in good shape able to get around. She worked in her yard all the time. She was mentally sharp.

Two years later she started to slow down. The house had become a burden. She no longer could keep it up. She moved in with her son and continued to degenerate.

When she was a 102 she was miserable. Her body was shot and she would go on about not knowing why God kept her alive so long and she was ready to go.

She passed away at 104.

Russel M Nelson could be prophet for a decade. Currently he's very active. Looks happy and doing his thing. In two years he probably will start slowing down. Then we will see less and less of him. Then there will be the empty seat at conference with both councilors aged and maybe they start missing things as well. You could have the whole first presidency down due to old age and they have to call a special councilor to run things.

Nothing the church hasn't seen before. If Oaks becomes the next prophet in ten years he will be pretty shot if he's still around and Ballard is no spring chicken.

With people living longer it could make the church leadership more geriatric than ever. Minds don't improve with age so some bad decision making certainly can happen. It will be interesting to watch from the sidelines.

One thing for sure. I don't see it growing more. It really can start circling the drain faster and faster. All things come to an end.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 10:52PM

Perceptive. Interesting that he might live that long. Not my problem, happily. Will be joining your watching from the sidelines, Rubicon!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 11:05PM

Many of us old farts can remember when Gordo had to be called as a 4th member of the FP because all three members (Kimball, Tanner, and Romney) were all so old that it just seemed cruel to prop them up during GC time.

I remember the faithful members at that time would gush about how it strengthened their testimonies to see how the “prophet” could still lead the church despite his limited capabilities. I remember one TBM saying “they have different ways of communicating than you or I.”

When god chooses his prophet based on a sick game of survivor, this is what you get.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 17, 2019 12:20AM

Oldest one left stand has worked pretty well for the church but it might start to be a problem since people live a lot longer now. You can get a long string of senile and demented church presidents.

Calvary Chapel is going through a leadership fight because it's founder has passed away. Reminds me of the LDS church after Joseph and Hyrum died from lead poisoning. The church would have the same problem without some kind of set system,

The only other thing I can think of is have a lottery to choose the new prophet and have an age limit on who goes into it.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 17, 2019 12:28AM

Lorenzo Snow actually asked to be passed over as prophet due to his advanced age and illness. The 12 would have nothing to do with changing the order of things.

Would have been a whole different church if he had prevailed.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 17, 2019 12:40AM

The Q15 prefer an incapacitated prophet. They can robo-sign all of their pet projects.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.