Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 07:09AM

Why the members really watch General Conference is they are curious about what other new changes the prophet is going to announce. They also want to hear what new temples are going to be announced.

They know most of conference is going to be the same ol rehash. They are hoping that there are going to be new revelations. New changes. Maybe a big shake up in the church. Basically the members want change, they are bored of the same ol same ol.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lachesis ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 06:26PM

"Oh, I just can't WAIT until our leader tells us what new thing we have permission to do next. We can uncover our faces in the temple. We can talk to our adult children more than twice a year. I can't even imagine how he can top that. But we're all hoping for coffee!!! That would be amazing. Everybody will want to become mormons because we can drink coffee. The work really is rolling forward like a stone."

Date: March 16, 2019 10:18PM

It would be a good move to remove coffee and tea from the W of W. Mormons drink caffeinated soda and energy drinks. Both worse for you than coffee and tea are.

I don't know if that will make much difference. People are bailing from christian church's that allow those things along with alcohol. It's really looking like people are done with organized religion. I think people want to be more individualistic now and don't want their spirituality defined by a group.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 11:01PM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would be a good move to remove coffee and tea
> from the W of W. Mormons drink caffeinated soda
> and energy drinks. Both worse for you than coffee
> and tea are.
>
> I don't know if that will make much difference.
> People are bailing from christian church's that
> allow those things along with alcohol. It's
> really looking like people are done with organized
> religion. I think people want to be more
> individualistic now and don't want their
> spirituality defined by a group.

I agree, and I'm trying to figure what the backlash of removing coffee/tea might be. Would (could) they allow themselves to SERIOUSLY consider this? IF they did, possible removal would be on the agenda.

Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 10:03AM

I imagine that changes to WoW would NEVER be announced publicly. The news media would jump on top of it and the world (and future converts) would be reminded once again how strict LDS membership requirements are.

Sounds like the type of change that would start with small edits in the bishop's handbook about not denying recommends because of coffee/tea infractions. There would be no more mentions of coffee and tea in future talks. Then a generation later everyone would throw their hands up in the air and claim they it was never understood why early Mormons abstained from coffee and tea.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 06:58PM

How about that part time or non paying tithes members can get sealed until death in the chapels by their bishop.

How about being told that you can take the sacrament with your left hand. Especially if you have arthritis or afflicted by atrophy.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 09:24PM

It would sure be fun for his minions if Russ announced some earth shattering changes but I'm betting on more administrative shuffling presented as great inspiration/revelation.

Posted by: rocomop ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 09:40PM

Exmos be wondering what Rusty Smellson (like he's never called that before!?) is going to announce at conference so that we can poke fun and make merry. Or have fun and poke Mary. It's a big world out there, folks.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 10:56PM

rocomop Wrote:
>It's a big world out there, folks.

:)

Date: March 16, 2019 10:10PM

Take your vitamins and get some rest because we are putting the peddle to the metal Russ has to make some more changes. He's primed the members for it.

It probably will be renaming more things and small changes. Maybe an announcement the Book of Mormon will be renamed An American Testament of Christ.

If Russ doesn't make any new changes the members will be let down. Maybe missionaries can wear blue shirts now. Who knows.

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 10:19PM

More temple renovation closures to create more open house events. Maybe the SLC temple.

I expect them to get going on that Bluffdale/Herriman temple that was announced years ago

Date: March 17, 2019 12:05AM

Then of course you have the relatives of the church leaders making money off the renovations by being contractors, supplying materials and other things you can charge the church for.

Oh sure nephew Hyrum, you can get the contract. Just give your apostle uncle a kickback as a thank you.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 11:12PM

Women receiving the priesthood?

A reversal on the policy on gays?

An admission that TSCC’s racist doctrines were wrong?

Allowing members to decide how much tithing to pay based on their individual circumstances?

Nah, they’ll just continue to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic, and the members will be so impressed with the “inspiration.”

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 17, 2019 12:49AM

(as I said earlier) It's going to be a bit of a challenge to top the Rome-Holy Father thing ... Unless they can document a conversation with HF or Christ in person....

Who Knows?

Posted by: KidTwist ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 06:33AM

The missionaries will be carrying copies of the New Testament instead of The Book of Mormon.

Posted by: lachesis ( )
Date: March 19, 2019 10:50PM

I heard today that there have been some kids receiving mission calls the past few weeks and instead of it saying "you will serve for a period of 24 months," it says something about after General Conference the time of your service will be announced.

The person who told me that (whose brother is a bishop who knows a kid who received this), said word on the street is that either they will be making everybody 18 months, or giving them options of how long to serve and that the age will be moved back to 19 for boys. So it will be 19 for everybody.

OK, all hearsay, but I think it's fairly credible.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 09:12AM

That is just current church folklore.

A friends kid just opened their call yesterday and it states 24 months.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 04:55AM

Russ Nelson is going to change Jesus’ name.

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 07:43AM

kathleen Wrote:
> Russ Nelson is going to change Jesus’ name.

Jesus The Church of Jesus Christ Christ

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 10:04AM

I was thinking he may rebrand Jesus as Jesus Nelson.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.