Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: reader ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 02:58PM

Been listening to baptist preaching for some weeks now and read related texts about salvation and repentance. Religion and works are discarded, salvation is found in faith alone. As soon as you try to work for your salvation it is all cancelled and you are going to hell! Does that imply that contributing to the state och the community outside the church increase the risk of going to hell? If I was a baptist and wanted to do nice things I am doing wrong?

I wonder, how do baptists discriminate between what is risk-free to do?

At the same time they say If you recieved Jesus once you will never lose your salvation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rocomop ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 03:02PM

Good thing Mormons, and by extension exmos, don't have to worry about the ol' Grace v. Works equation, or whatever you chose to call it.

Mormons absolutely knew we were saved by our works, which included repentance. As an exmo who went the way of disbelief in any God interested in humanity, the issue became moot.

Good luck in your journey!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 03:11PM

I personally think that salvation by grace is as crazy as anything in Mormonism.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 03:23PM

I personally think that salvation, as a serious concept of reality, is [crazy].

(No, not exactly "crazy," I'm just repeating the word used in this thread, but more accurately: irrational/unrealistic.)

I deeply do not understand religions based on "belief," or "grace," because I consider human "belief"/divine "grace" irrelevant to what actual reality either IS, or may (via scientific discoveries yet to be discovered) turn out to be.

P.S. In both Judaism and in Hinduism (the two primary religious influences in my life), "works" of some kind or another is the whole enchilada. Everything else would be considered a kind of non-essential "frill."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2019 04:00PM by Tevai.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 06:43PM

I agree.

“Salvation” couldn’t possibly come from a just and fair god. Having one’s eternal destiny decided by accepting (or failing to accept) a “gift” is unfair and immoral to a degree that humans could never even begin to understand.

The same thing applies to having one’s eternal destiny determined by sins, repentance, and ordinances. Infinite reward or punishment for finite action is unjust, immoral, and just plain wrong.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 08:36PM

in b 4 ~ Genesis 15:6 ~

in b 4 ~ Romans 4:3-5 ~

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 03:17PM

salvation is by faith alone OPie ~

they are right in saying that once OPie receives it, OPie can never lose it ~

any good works OPie does is a fruit of that salvation ~

good works will not save OPie ~

only faith ~

read your Bible OPie ~

hope that helps OPie ~

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 05:53PM

In Catholicism, you are saved by grace. Good works are regarded as the proper course of action for those who are saved.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 07:31PM

That is what Baptists believe also. They believe that grace through faith saves a person but that works are the demonstration of that saving grace not the means to earn it.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 07:58PM

The idea is that a person who doesn't behave appropriately isn't really saved.Only God knows.No one is perfect, but someone who is saved is at least trying and on the right path. Not everyone who claims to be saved really is.That is the way it was explained to a Protestant who addressed a comparative religion class My main problem with the emphasis on faith and accepting Jesus is that a makes many people think they have it made and they become arrogant..

Posted by: sbj ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 07:09PM

Love the book " The Gospel of Inclusion "

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 10:58PM

I've known many Baptists who, judging by the way they live, seem to view grace pretty much the same way Mormons view having one's calling and election made sure. "Woo! I'm saved! Now I can do whatever I want as long as I keep believing in Jesus." Baptist doctrine says otherwise, but it doesn't keep some of them from praising Jesus while being horrible people.

Posted by: S. Richard Bellrock ( )
Date: March 23, 2019 09:32AM

There is no such thing as sin.
https://unexaminedfaith.blogspot.com/2018/08/zeuss-thunderbolt-euthyphros-dilemma.html?m=1

There fall of Adam is not a literal thing.

Ipso facto there is nothing to be “saved” from.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.