Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: justkeepswimming ( )
Date: March 26, 2019 12:16PM

Over the past couple days several threads that draw parallels between mormon reactions to "anti-mormon" literature and several media outlets' reaction to the Mueller report have been deleted.

The board guidelines state, "2. Political Discussion: The rule has been strictly no politics on the board (because in our experience it leads to arguments and bad feelings as well as a lot of extra work for Admin to moderate). As an experiment,we will now allow some political content, as it relates to Mormonism/religion (see more information below)."

This is a real phenomenon that I think should be discussed. There is a religious, almost cult-like group think reaction occurring in reaction to the Mueller report just like we've seen happen in mormonism.

We say, "there is no DNA evidence linking Lehi/Nephi to native americans."
Mormons say, "we just haven't found it yet."

Mueller says, "there is no evidence linking Donald Trump to collusion with 'the russians' in order to influence the 2016 election."
Some media outlets say, "we just haven't found it yet."

I read a headline in the NYT that actually said, "We don't need to read the Mueller report."

That's no different than mormons saying, "We don't need to read 'anti-mormon literature.'"

In said threads, I noticed a prominent poster make personal attacks, using words like, "troll." I believe these posters purposefully used charged language that is against board guidelines in order to self-report the problem and have the admins remove the threads so they didn't have to be confronted with the uncomfortable fact that they're acting no different than mormons when confronted with information that challenges their opinions/views.

I urge the admins to allow threads to be posted that are within board guidelines.

This thread is clearly within board guidelines. I'd love to see a discussion of the phenomenon I outlined above.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 26, 2019 12:42PM

I am not a moderator but personally I am glad that these threads have been deleted.

There are plenty of other places for political discussions on the Net, there don't need to be discussions of that here nor any tenuous attempt to relate it to Mormonism and recovery.

I am glad to come here to discuss Mormonism, being in the church, church people, church experiences, trying to get out, feelings about it, so-called 'scripture' and its failings. There is plenty about RfM to talk about without dragging politics here.

I support the mods and their deletions.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 26, 2019 12:43PM

Rewrite whatever was deleted and it might or might not work.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: March 26, 2019 12:45PM

Cult is a wasrebasket term used for any entity you dislike. Throwing it into the political spectrum to make a point is manipulation. I could say IBM is a cult like employer too.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 26, 2019 12:48PM

LOTR literalists are so annoying.

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: March 26, 2019 01:32PM

The posts were removed because they were obviously political, with the Mormonism/religion angle painted on to try to justify the politics. I'd say "nice try", but it really wasn't.

Such posts will continue to be removed. If you want to push your political opinions, please try a different forum.

CZ (admin)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.