Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: March 31, 2019 05:53PM

Unfortunately some of it is still seared in my brain as it was one of the few choices we could listen to during my 2-year sentence...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGm2JsZ-yEU

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: April 01, 2019 10:13AM

My mother used to play this on the stereo, on Saturday, while we did chores cleaning up the house.

The play/musical definitely made an impression on her.

Total heart-sale to parents to be held accountable.

Of course the year 2000 came along, and then 10 years after than and so forth and there was no need to believe that any of the kids on earth were here or retained for any special purpose at all.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 01, 2019 10:31AM

It has been a long, long time since I heard Saturday's Warrior. Come to think of it, my daughter watched the movie several times back in her early teens as her friends had it and would bring it over. Back then, I didn't know what I believed anymore and she went to YW sometimes with friends and she was in seminary. Whoops, I just saw the title again--FIRST TIME. See below:

I saw the play when I was in mutual way back when it was really popular, the mid 1970s. We went to see it at South High School in SLC (from Brigham City). My mutual teacher's daughter worked at the COB and got us tickets. BUT they didn't have enough tickets for my class to sit on the 5th row and the rest of the mutual were up in the balcony. A few weeks after I paid for my ticket, my teacher told me that I still owed $1.50. I later found out that since they didn't have enough tickets on the 5th row, she had decided I WOULD BE THE ONE to not sit with the class. Typical for this teacher. BUT one of the other girls couldn't go so I got to sit with the class. IF I had known what was going on, I would have sat in the balcony with my sister and my neighbor and her daughter as I was friends with them. That is how I was treated in mormonism.

Later when I had twins, this teacher gave me 2 beautiful afghans she had made for my twins as she was a twin. It didn't matter. The damage she did to me had been done. She was a royal bitch. Some of the other girls from my ward found out about the afghans and were offended that she gave me something for my babies and they didn't get anything. And this was YEARS later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2019 10:36AM by cl2.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 01, 2019 10:42AM

Considering the fact that most of the original “Saterday’s Children” are now grandparents, I was wondering...

Do they still tell the youth that they are the “chosen generation” that was held back until the very end?

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: April 01, 2019 12:04PM

In many ways, the Mormon church was a better and more interesting church back in those halcyon days.
At least in Southern California.

But Ezra Taft Benson walked out of that play, so even back then the ideas did not sit well with him.

Too bad.
Mormonism should have stuck with the Masonic lores because now they have nothing left to offer people and they know it.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 02, 2019 10:44AM

Tye playhouse at Lagoon.

Didn't pay much attention to it. But the part about "It's my turn on earth." Stuck in my head for a long time.

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: April 02, 2019 11:40AM

Stage production at Kirkham Auditorium, Ricks College during education week sometime in the 70s.

I bought the vocal score and played it all the time. My favorite song was "Brace me Up." It became my life’s theme song while battling my depression and hospitalization 30 years ago after trying so hard to be a perfect Mormon as a gay man. In one year I had a church court followed by aversion therapy as part of the requirement to get back in. The depression that followed landed me in the military mental hospital and then the Navy kicked me out too. It was a bad time, but it did get better.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 02, 2019 11:44AM

I somehow made it through the '70s, living in the heart of Zion, without ever experiencing this thing. Oh, I heard about it, but never went to see it or heard any recordings. I was SO lucky.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.