Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 01:58PM

'Tis a paradox, my friends.

When I was a kid, general conference weekend was a vacation from church. As I grew older, however, my family started taking it more seriously and I was cajoled into watching bits and pieces. On balance it was mildly unpleasant, comparable I'd say to a root canal performed by a reasonably empathetic dentist.

Now, however, GC has become fun. I don't watch much, just scan the bulletin boards to see what others write in review although on occasion I'll viddy me some excerpts. Yet in any case I now pay attention to the goings on in Zion and glean considerable material that I find amusing, even uplifting.

After some reflection, I think I've solved the conundrum. When I was a Mormon, I hated General Conference because nothing good ever came out of it. Now that I am an ex-Mormon, I love General Conference because nothing good ever comes out of it.

It's simple, really.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 02:06PM

Treats for certain words muttered in conference is the good than comes out of it according to a five year old!

Then the child asked me if I would be watching conference. No, I replied. Why not? Because I don't want to.

Her eyes got big. But you are supposed to watch it.

I believe differently than that.

And then she changed the subject.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 02:07PM

Partaking of Conference: John 11:35

Twice a year they humbly puff up their humble chests to humbly brag how humble they are.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 02:11PM

You express yourself so humbly.

In a different life. . .

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 02:33PM

You're confusing with humble with humple. I am not humble, I am humple! Humbly humple; few are humplier, but that's not really up to me to say...

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 03:30PM

The family rule was you had to be where you could hear conference. So I'd play it in my room on my clock radio and read science fiction. The conference I remember best was when i was 14 and read Dune.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2019 03:33PM by dogblogger.

Posted by: edy ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 03:35PM

we finally have a fun profit!!! he is absolutely crazy. isn't mrs. profit a psychologist or something? did they get rusty to marry up with her so she can babysit him while is up in the night? she and sheri can write a book on this old guy when he is gone.

yes, conference is finally fun! i love watching it self-destruct. i lost a lot because i was a stupid trusting believer. never again. but i do love watching rusty sound silly.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 03:37PM

Became fun? I think it was a package deal when colonoscopy's and root canals became fun too.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 03:53PM

Memory tells me that for most members the good that came out of it was that they didn't have to attend church on conference Sun day.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.