Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 01:44AM

Madagascar has outbreak of over 115,000 cases—1,200 dead.
The anti-vaxxers strike again.
How many more must die before these idiots are stopped ?

https://apnews.com/0cd4deb8141742b5903fbef3cb0e8afa

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 02:04AM

Although the anti-vaxxers aren't the problem here.
From your article:

"Madagascar faces its largest measles outbreak in history, with cases soaring well beyond 115,000, but resistance to vaccinating children is not the driving force behind the rise.

In Madagascar, many parents want to protect their children but face immense challenges, including the lack of resources.

Some cases of resistance to vaccinations exist because of the influence of religion or of traditional health practitioners but they are isolated ones, he said.

This outbreak is complicated by the fact that nearly 50% of children in Madagascar are malnourished.

“Malnutrition is the bed of measles, ” Sodjinou said.

Razaijafisoa’s baby weighs just 5 kilograms (11 pounds).

“This is the case for almost all children with measles who have come here,” said Lantonirina Rasolofoniaina, a volunteer at the health center.

Simply reaching a clinic for help can be a challenge. Many people in Madagascar cannot afford to see a doctor or buy medicine, and health centers often are understaffed or have poorly qualified workers.

As a result, information about health issues can be unreliable. Some parents are not aware that vaccines are free, at least in public health centers."

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 03:55AM

Because of the recent discussions on RfM re: the Lemba of Uganda and Zimbabwe, I did some research....which led me to a New York-based organization I had never heard of before (Kulanu, which means: "All of Us")....which led me, fairly immediately, to Madagascar (and several other surprising places as well).

Over maybe the last couple of weeks, I have developed a real interest in Madagascar and its people.

I am immensely sorry for the Madagasies who are affected, and especially so for the children.

This is heartbreaking.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2019 04:47AM by Tevai.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.