Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 02:55PM

The church is like a fiat currency. It’s backed by nothing of substance and only has value if enough people believe in it. I guess if the world’s financial system can function on bullshit, I guess the church can as well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 03:13PM

I think Rusty has declared that Wendy is worth around 50 million copies of the BoM.

I wonder how much Holland is worth in The Restoration tracts?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 04:10PM

Driving on the right (or left, for the matter) side of the street only works if enough people believe in it. Vaccines only work if enough people believe in them. Courts only work if enough people believe in them.

Most of society only works if enough people believe in it. That is neither bad, nor unworkable.

Good things clearly happen if everyone drives on the same side of the street, or get vaccinated. That is far less true for LDS Inc, though being part of a tight-knit religious family has its perks, if you can swallow the foundation of lies. We were not able to do that.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 05:07PM

I was going to write something similar to what BoJ did. No government is powerful enough to control anywhere near all of its citizens all of the time: a legitimizing ideology is necessary, something that makes people generally want to obey the rules. In short, belief.

To put the point more concretely, let's look at your statement that a fiat currency "only has value if enough people believe in it." That sentence describes gold, a substance that has almost zero industrial utility and hence no productive worth. It is only valuable because people choose to believe it is. That is also true of the deed to your home. It's value is only as good as the credibility of the government behind it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 01:21AM

"almost zero industrial utility" = false
Gold has lots of industrial utility.

Date: April 16, 2019 11:30AM

Gold's original use was for jewelry. Nothing else. By 6,000 years ago it became a store of wealth, not because it had industrial value (other than jewelry) but because people chose to treat it as valuable. Read any economic textbook and it will tell you that the determinants of the value of gold today remain financial: backing for currencies, hedge against inflation, etc. Gold is primarily a financial instrument.

How much of the demand for gold is for industry today? 11%. What is the biggest source of industrial demand? Jewelry. What comes next? Electronics, followed closely by dentistry--crowns and fillings.

The significant electronic uses of gold only go back decades. Until that time, virtually all demand was for financial reasons or as a material for jewelry--and even today the industrial (excluding jewelry and dentistry) use of gold amounts to less than 5% of total demand.

So I'm comfortable with what I wrote. Gold is used for financial transactions based on belief. If it were not for that, the price of the commodity would fall by at least 90%.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 12:01PM

The same applies to diamonds. Plenty of diamonds in Mother Earth, and plenty in the (not-so) precious gem pipeline from mines to display cases. The supply is carefully controlled by the DeBeers diamond cartel to keep prices stable--and artificially high.

The standard markup for fine jewlery is 100%; for diamonds, 400% to much, much higher.

I remember from years ago a DeBeers industry-promotion ad for confused young swains, "How much should I pay for an engagement ring?" Answer: About three months salary.

Date: April 16, 2019 12:30PM

The history of the diamond industry is indeed fascinating. It is quite an accomplishment to take something that is readily available in large volume, constrain the output, manufacture demand (wedding rings) and make a fortune.

Sort of like Steve Jobs.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 01:05PM

1) "Fools rush in..."
2) I understand the place to buy an engagement ring cheap is at BYU--young men who proposed unwisely or prematurely. I saw a cute LDS indie rom-com, a guy put his "for-sale" ring ad on a bulletin board covered with them!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 05:46PM

Compared to the lives of the earliest hominids almost everything about our modern existences are fiat.

The invisible hand brings me my needs.

The rights of kings have trickled down to me in limited forms.

The Mormon Church was born on a farm. I wasn't. It has cache from time and accumulations of clout and resources. Like the times of counterfeiters of which Mormonism converged with a bit in the Kirtland times, its power as a idea has waned but its currency is far from debased because there is little to fill the vacuum for people looking for a plan.

Posted by: justkeepswimming ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 05:50PM

Someone's been watching conspiracy theory youtube videos, lol!

Also, 9/11 was an inside job, the earth is flat, the government is run by reptilians, we never landed on the moon, and if only we could go back to using gold as currency!

Date: April 15, 2019 05:53PM

I'm not sure "the government is run by reptilians" is a conspiracy theory.

Date: April 15, 2019 05:55PM

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 11:35PM

I would say the church is like a Yugo.

Date: April 15, 2019 11:46PM

I'm persuaded!

Date: April 16, 2019 11:07AM

I'll Yugo where you want me dear Lord...

Date: April 16, 2019 11:31AM

Have you ever flown on Aeroflot? I have many times.

The horror. The horror.

Date: April 16, 2019 11:34AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you ever flown on Aeroflot?

I'm scarred. Yikes. I'm glad you aren't scarred.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 11:00AM

Yes, it's true. I continue to use fiat currency because it still works. It has no intrinsic value.
And paper is 800 dollars per ton no matter how many zeros are printed on it.

Date: April 16, 2019 11:08AM

Its a fiat marvelous to behold. That it still exists is a marvelous work for an obvious scam from a previous century.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 02:16PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.