Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Alan XL ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 12:41AM

My American friends often ask me about living here in Oz and I just saw this article which is about right. Enjoy.

A British woman who has lived in Australia for almost 50 years has published a comprehensive list of all the things that Aussies consider to be bad manners.

Just in case you thought you read that incorrectly, I’ll say it again: A British national has taught the world about Australian culture.

Ironic, perhaps — but her list is gold, so give it a chance will ya?

BRAGGING

The good doctor said Aussies hate people who boast about themselves — the Brits call this ‘skiting’.

Be it your wealth, status or intelligence, bragging is viewed as painfully obnoxious, and is not received well down under.

“It immediately brands you as a tall poppy and there’s only one thing to do with them here — chop ’em off at the knees!” she said.
AUSSIE ACCENT ATTEMPTS

This habit is enough to make any actual Australian’s skin crawl.

Dr Donovan reminded the rest of the world not to say ‘G’day mate!’ in an Australian accent because it’s actually very offensive.

“That is really grating to us,” she said.

“Just say hello or hi.”

And Dr Donovan also warned against people using the ‘shrimp on the barbie’ adage.

“No ‘shrimps’ on the barbie, they are prawns. PRAWNS!” she said.

TALKING TOO LOUD

Unlike our … ahem … vocal American friends, Aussies are big on keeping the volume down in public places.

Except, as Ms Donovan pointed out, if you’re at the pub and you’re “three sheets to the wind”.

“If people start glaring at you, tone it down,” she said.

SMOKING

Punching darts is not encouraged in Australia.

So much so, that we have a whole bunch of laws in place to keep smokers far away from us.

Ms Donovan said while smokers aren’t exactly social pariahs, most Australians don’t want to be around them.

Except, as mentioned above, if you’re three sheets to the wind.

“Places where you can legitimately smoke are few and far between,” she said.

“Lighting up where you are not supposed to can create quite a bit of hostility. Don’t do it!”

SNOBBERY

No one likes a snob, so don’t be one, Dr Donovan said.

Showing everyone respect, “no matter what their job” is extremely important to Aussies.

“Food service people, the garbo, street sweepers — they are all treated with respect and generally thanked for their services,” she said.

“No talking down, even if you are the CEO of some greedy multinational.

“Without people prepared to do these jobs, the world would be a pretty unpleasant place.”

Too right, doctor!

Speaking of respect, Dr Donovan said Aussies hold doors open to “anyone and everyone”.

“In a lift, at a shop, getting onto a train, entering a room,” she said.

“Of course, particularly for the elderly, those carrying a baby or burdened with packages, but we do it for anyone. we’re nice that way.”

TIPPING

Aussies generally don’t tip.

“It can actually seem bad-mannered to the people you are with if you suddenly flash out your wallet and start leaving tips. If you feel you really have to, in some restaurants you can discreetly add a tip to the bill (some bills have a space for this) but really, it’s not needed, and it is not expected.

PERSONAL SPACE

Australians treasure their personal space, something Dr Donovan suggests may be due to a relatively small population living on a giant island.

“Please don’t crowd us or touch us even accidentally if you can avoid it,” she said.

Dr Donovan used public transport to illustrate her point, warning that if there are completely empty seats available on a bus or a train, “then don’t sit next to someone”.

“Don’t sit right next to strangers, leave a seat or two,” she said.
LITTERING

Litter bugs are the absolute worst, and Aussies aren’t afraid to call them out.

Dr Donovan said littering is not only illegal, but “it is an affront”.

“If you are eating in a fast food restaurant, clean up after yourself and put your rubbish in the bins provided,” she said.

“Try not to drop stuff if you are not prepared to clean it up when you go,

“Definitely, no cigarette butts to be thrown on the ground or tossed out of car windows.”

Dr Donovan also reminded the world that Aussies get pretty incensed when people don’t dispose of their rubbish in the correct bins.

“Put the right stuff in the right bin. You might get scolded by someone if you are seen not doing this.

JUMPING THE QUEUE

Aussies have some pretty well established queue rules, Dr Donovan said.

Not cutting, ever.

“Just ask if this is the end of the line,” she said.

Similarly, if you’re at the pub, and the bartenders asks for your order, but you know someone go there before you, “it’s polite to say ‘they were here first’”.

But hey. Who said us Aussie's had manners in the first place?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: outin76 ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 03:33AM

I know there are differences in the way we express ourselves, and custom, but it never ceases to amaze me how nice, and how similar the "average" American and Aussie are.
outin76

Posted by: Different UK woman ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 08:49AM

I’m a UK woman too, nearly 60 years old and have never heard the word ‘skiting’ In my life - it might be some regional slang, but it sounds made up to me.

When my mother heard people boasting, she used to say ‘yes and all her geese are swans’ - also common here when people (particularly women) are bragging is ‘fur coat no knickers’ with a knowing wink.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 09:46AM

I'm an ex-UK man who's nearly 59 and I agree with "Different UK woman": I've never heard the term "skiting". I have heard "Fur coat, no knickers" quite frequently (considering ;-) however.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2019 09:58AM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 09:58AM

In Texas that would be, "all hat, no horse." :)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 12:59PM

I've heard a similar one: Big hat, no cattle.

Date: April 17, 2019 10:05AM

The U.S. is rather similar when it comes to personal space and waiting in line. As for smoking, we've come a long way in the past 30 years or so. I remember back in the 80s people lighting up pretty much wherever they wanted to. Now, smoking is banned from most public buildings.

I wish Americans were better about litter. I'm constantly cleaning up around my community. The cigarette butts really bother me. Some smokers treat the natural world as if it's their personal ash tray.

Snobbery -- in theory the U.S. is an egalitarian society, but IMO we could do with a little more respect and consideration for all.

Tipping -- I wish we would do away with it. I'd rather have fair wages built into the cost of services. Some restaurants already do that.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 10:38AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The U.S. is rather similar when it comes to
> personal space and waiting in line. As for
> smoking, we've come a long way in the past 30
> years or so. I remember back in the 80s people
> lighting up pretty much wherever they wanted to.
> Now, smoking is banned from most public buildings.
>

As a UK citizen living in the US, it's my experience that US folk do not line as well as the Brits queue up. The Yanks are better than some countries, but not as good as the Brits at forming an orderly line and everyone sticking the rules of queuing.

As for smoking, I thing the US lead the way when it came to limiting and controlling smoking in public places. Countries like Australia and the UK followed the US in this regard.

Australia may have taken the lead in the subject of making public smoking taboo, but the US, particularly California were the leaders. They deserve credit for that.

Date: April 17, 2019 10:50AM

I will bow to your superior knowledge of queueing. :)

Another topic is driving manners, where I feel that the U.S. has deteriorated, i.e. in allowing drivers to merge onto the highway, bullying behaviors, etc.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 10:52AM

Thank you. So glad California did what they did because I was so sick of the smoking I could hardly go in public anymore.

Date: April 17, 2019 11:01AM

I remember back in the 80s waiting in a bank line. I was already feeling a bit queasy when a woman behind me lit up her cigarette. It worsened my upset stomach. I remember thinking, if I have to toss my cookies I am going to turn around and do it on her shoes! Fortunately for the both of us I was able to push on through. Yes, it was a relief when the laws changed and nonsmokers gained rights.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 11:05AM

Done & Done Wrote:
> Thank you. So glad California did what they did
> because I was so sick of the smoking I could
> hardly go in public anymore.

I know, I am sick of walking by and breathing it and even more sick of their throwing their butts all over the ground no matter if it is a grubby parking lot or a beautiful mountain trail, there they are.

The only thing bad about forcing them to smoke outside, is then 'outside' is ruined for us non-smokers. I can't believe people starting up, still, when everyone knows what it does to your health and lungs.

My seventh-grade teacher showed us three slices of lungs: non-smoker, light smoker, and heavy smoker. That was enough for me to convince me never to start! But they must not do that lesson anymore. :(

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 11:08AM

Compared to the way British people used to exercise courtesy, Britain is today a jungle, especially in London. The courtesy and civility you mention are fading fast based on my three visits over the past two years.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 12:28PM

kentish Wrote:
> Compared to the way British people used to
> exercise courtesy, Britain is today a jungle,
> especially in London. The courtesy and civility
> you mention are fading fast based on my three
> visits over the past two years.

It's the bloody foreigners! ;o)

Alas you are probably correct though, I haven't lived there for 15 years, so things have probably deteriorated. Maybe the Brits have lost their world leadership in queuing now, like they've lost the ability to be at the forefront of almost everything else.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 10:34AM

I have Australian relatives. I have Australian clients.

Please. Let's not be white washing anyone or treating an entire country like all the people in it are the same.

Don't get me started.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 02:17PM

Speaking of cigarettes...

Back in the 70s, my siblings purchased cigarette loads (mini explosives inserted into cigarettes) in China Town and slipped them into the cigarettes of guests when they smoked in our house. They'd light up, and after a while...Boom! Hahaha! We'd get a real laugh. We stuffed one visitor's cigarettes full of them. On his way home he lit up in his car and his cigarette blew up while he was driving on the freeway. His pants caught on fire. He pulled over and called my mom from a pay phone (this was long before cellphones) and yelled at her for raising such hoodlums. That was the last time we used the cigarette loads.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 03:01PM

Must have been something, with his nerves attenuated by THC. I didn't stay around to watch.

I don't smell tobacco much these days, but the smell of grass is becoming quite pervasive. UGH! I fear for Western Civilization.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 03:17PM

Is this accurate? As an American, I like to go to different countries and throw my trash everywhere.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.