Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 21, 2019 12:10AM

So I went to the Memphis temple open house today with 5 of my nevermo friends. Won’t say too much other than my friends learned a lot. Well, I did give them an enhanced tour (the rest of the story).

I will say that the temple is very small but it was quite beautiful inside. I was impressed. My friend described it as opulent. They have a stained glass window pattern throughout all the rooms, based on a local native flower, with the same pattern in the carpet. Those windows gave it quite a classy look.

But here’s the funny story. We are standing around the baptistery and the guide explains that there are dressing rooms next door. She tells them that everyone comes in their street clothes and changes into totally white clothes—the women in white dresses, the men into white pants, shirt and tie. Yeah, ok, I’m following her. Then this, “both men and women wear all white...” (are you ready for it?). “To signify.... (drumroll please) ... Equality!!!

Yeah. I’ll just leave that here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 21, 2019 12:52AM

Thanks for the report.

It looks pretty cozy in there. I saw pics online.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 21, 2019 12:52AM

All tithe payers are equal in the eyes of the Corporation Sole.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 21, 2019 01:02AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All tithe payers are equal in the eyes of the
> Corporation Sole.

I agree. The church dupes every member in a equal manner.

Posted by: WandaJo ( )
Date: April 21, 2019 01:21AM

Any wall murals with dinosaurs like in SLC and Manti Temples?
I bet not - somehow MoronicPriesthood Central does not want members to think God created them here.

Date: April 21, 2019 09:10AM

No dinosaurs in the garden room painting. The first “instruction room” had a wrap-around mural on three sides. It was hand painted on the wall and was representative of the local area. It was lovely. The second room had no mural but was much whiter. The veil was in that room covered by a beautiful scallop-pleated curtain that would be raised. Of course they didn’t point that out or say anything about the veil. I told my friends that as we went through I would quietly be pointing out some things for them to take notice of that I would explain more about on the outside.

There was a double door in the celestial room that was closed. That blended in with the wall. The door that would be open to come into the room from the veil. Also no mention was made of it. Kind of too bad because that was something that really impressed one of my friends. He said that he wishes he could go back through after I explained that the garden room represented our Earth life, then you move into the white room which would me more representative of the place you go to when you first die or maybe where you stay until someone does your temple work, and then you go through the veil and those doors into celestial heaven. It it was the afternoon of the last day of the open house. No time to go through a second time.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 21, 2019 02:12AM

that we all dressed the way we did so that everybody was "equal" in terms of where they were in life, that if we all dressed the same, nobody would know the rich from the poor.

But now they are spinning it as equality between men and women.

Not like it was equality back then either. You could sure tell who had the nicer temple clothes. I can at least say nobody had an apron like the one I gave my daughter. She has 2 that my grandmother embroidered. My aunt has no idea we have 2 of them. Now they are important to me whether they represent the temple or not.

Date: April 21, 2019 08:50AM

Yes. That’s what she meant. She added that it meant men and women were equal in the sight oh God. I guess if they weren’t, God would have the women dressed in red or something. So next time someone tells you that there is rampant misogyny in the Mormon church, you can say, “there is not! They both dress completely in white in the temple! So there!”

Date: April 21, 2019 10:43AM

What about wearing pants? But then those ugly temple outfits that men wear, like the jumpsuits!!! ha ha ha So when do the men get to quit wearing the baker's hat?? So so so many things wrong with the temple.

I did read here that the women don't have to have the veil over the faces in their caskets, but where else?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2019 10:44AM by cl2.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 21, 2019 10:04AM

Does that mean that in the Celestial Kingdom that the male God's wives will all be equal?

Date: April 21, 2019 10:44AM

UNLESS they are prettier than the others.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 21, 2019 10:58AM

Back in the 80s I remember a talk given in the chapel of the Ogden temple.

The speaker said that we wore white to symbolise equality. The men mostly wore white jumpsuits. So one could rarely tell the rich from the poor.

Then he said "Even though the sisters wear white I never see two sisters dressed exactly alike. Each sister finds a way to be unique."

For decades I've though he was complementing the sisters. Maybe I was wrong.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 21, 2019 12:24PM

LOL! Well that's a new one!
I guess they gave up on white symbolizing purity.

The new buzz word topic is equality. Therefore everything is about making the public think there is equality for women in their church, which is a blatant lie.

I wonder if she mentioned how men veil their faces, you know, for equality?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 21, 2019 03:58PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LOL! Well that's a new one!
> I guess they gave up on white symbolizing purity.
>
> That's what I remember from attending. They made it known that you were more pure than all the filth and unclean things of the world.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 21, 2019 12:45PM

In her mind, I'll bet she was thinking about "worldly" equality. It's harder to tell the rich people from the poor people in the temple because everybody is wearing white, but you can still tell the rich people because their white clothes are custom and the poor people have the rented ones which makes it even more glaring.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.