Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: April 25, 2019 01:05PM

She frames everything Mormon in a positive light or makes excuses for it.

1)the church is building temples galore (so everything is going great with the church). She also doesn’t seem to mind that they are spending a billion? Dollars renovating the historic temples.

2) President Nelson is soooo on the ball. He’s 94 and still a firecracker.

3)Easter Sunday at church didn’t feel like Easter...boring talks and only one choir number, but it’s all because they cut services down to two hours so they didn’t have time to celebrate properly.

4). She told me an faith-inspiring story about a group of young people who had traveled to the genealogy center for a youth activity, and more kids showed up than they had planned for. Somehow they were all able to print out their genealogy charts. Then in walks one of the centers supervisors with a pack of ink cartridges, because the printers hadn’t been working for weeks! It was a miracle. <rolls eyes>

Oh sheesh. Phone conversations with my mother are so tiresome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Angry ( )
Date: April 25, 2019 01:07PM

Plus the fact that Rusty is a heart doctor makes everything honky dory. Yeah right. Mormons are so delusional I honestly wonder if they have a form of mental illness.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 25, 2019 01:13PM

I think they practice mormonism as a defense against having to compete on an already existing stage.

Okay, I'm going to go anonymous for the rest of this, so don't try to pin this on me, because I'll deny it...

Some (many?) women in mormonism cling to the 'religion' because they offer this loyalty to eternity as a sop for not competing on other levels of earthly society, such as education and fitness.

Yeah, I said it!
--Anonymous

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 25, 2019 01:44PM

I absolutely agree. Mormonism is used as a crutch to avoid the real world. A lot of retired people spend there whole day doing "temple work" or indexing. They really think this is "work" and they are making a difference. But there are so many other ways to make a difference in real peoples lives, such as giving away money! such as giving poor people stuff, such as sponsoring a refugee, such as being a teachers aid in a high school math class, (no one will do that job, lol!)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 25, 2019 01:16PM

My aunt's granddaughter was living in Boston with her husband and child when the Boston Marathon bombing happened. She wasn't even close to where it was, but somehow she came up with this long story about their experiences that day and then she'd point out each miracle (miracle) after each thing she saw as a miracle. Stupid little things.

My aunt's son was in a bad snowmobiling accident that same year. He was working at one of the ski resorts for one of the restaurants and he'd have to deliver stuff to the restaurant. He ran into one of those big metal garbage containers going fairly fast. He had a tear in his aorta. That is how serious it was. I didn't see any story from the family about what a miracle it was that he survived.

When Steve Benson posted about what Oaks and Maxwell saw as inspirational in their own lives, I was SHOCKED. The "common" mormon could come up with many experiences that were more inspirational that what those 2 told Steve Benson.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: April 25, 2019 01:39PM

>> She frames everything Mormon in a positive light or makes excuses for it.

>>1)the church is building temples galore (so everything is going great with the church). She also doesn’t seem to mind that they are spending a billion? Dollars renovating the historic temples.

Bernie Madoff is making huge amounts of money, so everything is going great with his investments!

>>2) President Nelson is soooo on the ball. He’s 94 and still a firecracker.

So was George Burns at 100 and he smoked cigars and drank booze. Also, firecrackers tend to have short fuses and explode, causing damage and injury.

>>3)Easter Sunday at church didn’t feel like Easter...boring talks and only one choir number, but it’s all because they cut services down to two hours so they didn’t have time to celebrate properly.

And they cut it down to two hours because 3 hours of the same stuff would be even more boring than 2 hours.

>>4). She told me an faith-inspiring story about a group of young people who had traveled to the genealogy center for a youth activity, and more kids showed up than they had planned for. Somehow they were all able to print out their genealogy charts. Then in walks one of the centers supervisors with a pack of ink cartridges, because the printers hadn’t been working for weeks! It was a miracle. <rolls eyes>

I heard the same story about group of people that went into a tattoo parlor. They all got tattoo's by a tall, muscular man dressed like a roman solder. The man went behind a curtain into the back room. Just then the owner burst in with a new supply of ink because he ran out two days ago and couldn't open his business. It was a miracle.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 25, 2019 01:51PM

Ka-ching! Too Good!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 25, 2019 09:48PM

Other churches have one hour services and managed to have Easter worship totally out of the Mormon league. It is Eaaster. Why not focus on Jesus and resurrection? Give Joseph, tithing etc a day off.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 25, 2019 02:13PM

My TBM Mom could have easily said #1 and #2.

4). She told me an faith-inspiring story about a group of young people who had traveled to the genealogy center for a youth activity, and more kids showed up than they had planned for. Somehow they were all able to print out their genealogy charts. Then in walks one of the centers supervisors with a pack of ink cartridges, because the printers hadn’t been working for weeks! It was a miracle. <rolls eyes>

Members have no idea how stingy the church really is until you have a calling where experience firsthand a stake or regional audit. I have shared the story where the church expected you to use a typewriter ribbon forever (about to be obsolete technology along with the ink dot matrix printer). Never mind that there were two brand new 6 packs shrink wrapped typewriter ribbons. The stake auditor expected to see those things stored and unopened. It was ridiculous.

My Mom had her own issues with the church's family history center in Salt Lake (back then it was the genealogical library). Well it was my Mom's idea of heaven because she had unrestricted access to rooms and rooms of microfiche. I don't think that she realized that there was a church dress code. Somehow she got in with her vacation shorts (near the knee- she wasn't wearing garments at the time). However, it was the use of her water bottle that drew ire and criticism from an old biddy.

-We don't allow patrons to eat or drink in the library. And you're not dressed appropriately for the library either. We don't allow people in shorts to attend here. You'll have to leave.

So my Mom sat outside on the street for some 3 hours while my Dad drove us around sightseeing (Bingham Copper Mine, Salt Air palace). We had no idea that my nap sackin' Mom had been kicked out. Later in the day, she went to JC Penny to buy a dress and heels.

Probably the strangest sight. My family was camping in downtown SLC at the KOA and here was my Molly Mormon Mom cooking pancakes off a Coleman stove while wearing her Sunday dress in high heels. She bought another Sunday outfit so she could return to her beloved library the following day.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2019 02:21PM by messygoop.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: April 25, 2019 03:56PM

That’s pretty sad, but hilarious at the same time!

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: April 25, 2019 03:03PM

My mom used to always tell me "wonderful" things that she had learned at church when I would talk to her on the phone. I couldn't get her to stop.

Then, I started telling her the "wonderful" things I would learn at a coven ritual after her stories. It only took a few times, and somehow church stopped coming up in our conversations.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 25, 2019 04:21PM

Sorry, it's harder for you seeing as she's YOUR mother.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.