Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 05:45AM

My wife and I hosted a campaign organizing event yesterday. It consisted of having our friends, neighbors, and random people who signed up online over to our apartment to watch a promotional video explaining how to best get the message out in support of our candidate.

I've never actively volunteered for a political campaign. While I knew canvasing is an integral part of the process, it made me extremely, extremely uncomfortable hearing the senior campaign strategist talk about reaching out to those who would be receptive to our message. We assembled lists of family, friends, co-workers, social circles, etc. to be entered into the central database so that they can be contacted later. I know in the near future we'll be knocking on doors, handing out flyers, approaching people on the streets. You see where I'm going with this.

Though I believe in the cause and the candidate, I can't shake off the "ick" factor of years spent either on a mission or hearing in the wards and stake centers about needing to prosletize or do family history work. I felt I was listening to an MP.

I consider myself lucky coming out of Mormonism relatively unscathed. This was the first time memories from my past have come back strong and unexpectedly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2019 05:48AM by levantlurker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 07:56AM

Where I live, the candidates use the voter registration lists. You get pamphlets or post cards mailed to you according to your party registration. I really would not want a friend or neighbor giving out my information. I can see how this would remind you of the Mormon church's MO.

Sharing your favored candidate on social media is another thought, but you have to be careful not to burn people out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2019 07:56AM by summer.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 01:50PM

I don't object to political canvasing actually. But it would certainly make me uncomfortable to go out and do it because I hate religious intrusions so much.

Posted by: Dorothynli ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 03:07PM

In 2011, I traveled to a swing state to get my candidate reelected. I learned that in person, people were lovely. On the phone, not so much. If you get to pick, go door to door.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 04:50PM

"Thanks for your time and consideration of Candidate 'X.' As log as I have your attention, can I show you this really fantastic cleaning product--it changed my life!"

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 05:03PM

"What do you know about Candidate X?"

"Would you like to know more?"

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: April 29, 2019 02:09AM

Your political party of choice is your business and no one else's here in Australia so there's no such thing as party registration. Obviously you can join a political party if you want but few do and again it's your business and really the only time you might be called on is door knocking coming up to an election.

Well we are in the final three weeks of our upcoming general election on 18th May. Our elections are always held on a Saturday as voting ( and being on the Electoral Register) is compulsory.

We know we'll be getting leaflets from every flavour of political party over this few weeks...we've already had a few but know there's more to come.

We have preferential voting which means you have to list the candidates in order of your preference. I'm OK with who to put as my number one but have issues with who to put last. Sadly we have several right wing religious groups and a couple of right wing groups trying to get elected so choosing which to put last is always something to think about.

TV political ads are ramping up now and I will be very glad when it's all over.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.